123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rumor: Mac Mini To Be Discontinued?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Rumor: Mac Mini To Be Discontinued? Reply with quote

Rumor: Mac Mini To Be Discontinued?
Thursday, May 24, 2007
Posted by: Brian

AppleInsider is reporting that the Mac mini's days may be numbered. "Whether Apple will squeeze another revision from the mini, and how long it plans to allow existing models to linger, are both unclear. But as the extended Memorial Day break dawns upon us, the point being driven should be clear: Ladies and gentlemen, AppleInsider believes in all sincerity that the Mac mini is dead," writes Kasper Jade.

We sincerely hope that AppleInsider's prediction about the Mac mini's demise is wrong. It certainly wouldn't be the first time they were off the mark with a prediction. We continue to believe that the Mac mini fills a spot in the Apple product line that is desperately needed, i.e. an affordably priced headless system. And until Apple officially decides otherwise, we are hoping the company still recognizes this.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/654.html
stephenhill

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rumor: Mac Mini To Be Discontinued? Reply with quote

admin wrote:
We continue to believe that the Mac mini fills a spot in the Apple product line that is desperately needed, i.e. an affordably priced headless system.

Amen! Apple needs to keep the mini or make a slightly larger computer like the Cube again. I will be looking elsewhere if all they offer is the iMac and Mac Pro in the future. I just don't want another iMac and the Mac Pro is more than I need or want to spend.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
DCGuy

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe they can offer iMini?

Regular size mini with 7 inch LCD Smile
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephenhill wrote:
Cool.

What's cool? I think this would suck!
Squid3660

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sympathize with Apple. The mini didnt quite sell well enough for everyone in the company to get their own personal yacht. Dam that Mac Mini! Off with it's head.

Screw YOU, Jobs. And I aint buyin your $500 phone or your $12.99 iTunes movies that look like they were recorded off a two-head VCR from 1985.

So when is Apple gonna issue the OSX update that kills the Mini's EFI and renders it officially dead, forcing us lemmings to buy a new iMac?

Had they just made the case about 1/4" bigger, they could've found a way to squeeze in a better Graphics processor and the Mini would probably be the best selling member of the Mac family.

Oh well, I will be using this thing till it dies on its own and by that time Vista should have the kinks worked out of it and it will be Dell time for me.
DCGuy

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Vista, Dell, Walmart. Laughing

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=5149
macMATTmini

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple is smart enough to know that they can't just start their computers at $1000. If they do stop selling the mini I am sure they will introduce a new entry level computer. I am looking forward to something new from Apple whatever it may be and even if it does mean no more mini.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCGuy wrote:
Yes, Vista, Dell, Walmart. Laughing

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=5149

RLMAO.

"Pretty much, Apple and Dell are the only ones in this industry making money. They make it by being Wal-Mart. We make it by innovation. "

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/steve_jobs.html

It looks like he was right after all. Laughing
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squid3660 wrote:
Had they just made the case about 1/4" bigger, they could've found a way to squeeze in a better Graphics processor and the Mini would probably be the best selling member of the Mac family.

I don't think they would need to increase the size of the Mac mini for dedicated video. I think this is just a case of Apple wanting to protect the iMac, which is a computer they can make more money off by keeping the price up. I'll be sad if they kill the Mac mini off. I was going to go back for seconds when Leopard comes out. Sad
diulei

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Mini and I'll always have a soft spot for it.

But damn, bring back the Cube! Price it at a grand, give it iMac specs (give/take) and I'd buy it.
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if they were to drop the Mini, you'd still be able to buy them for a brief time from resellers, for a longer period from Apple as long as you were willing to buy a refurb, and "forever" on eBay and the like. Heck, I saw some G4 stuff on the Apple refurb list recently, and that's been "dead" a long time.

The Mini is a great entry-level machine, good enough for some people but especially for those who want to "try before they buy something bigger". I think Apple is too smart to completely ignore that.

When I replace my huge, heavy Power Mac G5 I want something that'll use the display I have, and something not too big. Today that's probably a Mini. Maybe that's true tomorrow, or maybe they have something even better.

Doug

Last edited by Doug Eldred on Thu May 24, 2007 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
marv

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: rumors of dropping the mini Reply with quote

just read this at Appleinsider before stopping by... i hope this isn't true, I was looking at upgrading my mini this fall. I have a great monitor as is and would not need an imac....
davesiceworks

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I got mine allready!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Apple! It might be time for you to stop working on that iPhone for 10 minutes and start listening to your loyal customers. Just a reminder, but many of us don't want an AIO computer. I'll throw in another three-letter acronym for you to ponder. SOL. That's what you might be when we go to upgrade next time if all you have is the iMac. It's quite possible that some of us might do the unthinkable and get wowed in the process. Laughing

Last edited by devo on Thu May 24, 2007 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: