123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini Update Soon?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini Update Soon? Reply with quote

Mac Mini Update Soon?
Thursday June 21, 2005

Think Secret is reporting the Mac mini will be updated as early as next week, according to new part numbers that are showing up in Apple databases. According to the rumor site "Three new Mac mini configurations will be available in the near future, priced at $499, $599, and $699, sources say. Apple currently does not offer a $699 Mac mini configuration. The $699 Mac mini configuration may represent a pre-configured model with additional RAM or storage space and not an entirely new configuration in its own right."

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/332.html
bsnoel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac Mini Update Soon? Reply with quote

Quote:
Think Secret is reporting the Mac mini will be updated as early as next week, according to new part numbers that are showing up in Apple databases. According to the rumor site "Three new Mac mini configurations will be available in the near future, priced at $499, $599, and $699, sources say. Apple currently does not offer a $699 Mac mini configuration. The $699 Mac mini configuration may represent a pre-configured model with additional RAM or storage space and not an entirely new configuration in its own right."

That might explain why my local dealer wanted to sell his current Mini inventory by this Friday.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsnoel didn't you start all these rumors? Laughing
iLife's a Bitch!
bsnoel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
bsnoel didn't you start all these rumors? Laughing

At first, my stance was that there would not be an update to the Mini. However, I changed my tune (and had to eat my words) when that sales letter arrived from my local Apple dealer stating all Minis must go by this Friday. So, I changed my mind and I guess that, yes I started the most recent rumor. in this thread.

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1229&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I guess that makes me both wrong and right in one week.
Rolling Eyes

At any rate, I'm making plans to sell my new PowerMac G5 so I can afford the new Mini. Or...err.uuumm.... Maybe not. Wink
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any guesses on what will be updated or changed? I'm going to say video and small processor bumps. Everything else will stay the same. I don't see any cosmetic changes happening. The $699 mini might have 512MB and Superdrive standard. That would represent around a $50 dollar savings over the current models with those BTO options. I'm interested to see the new iBooks too. Hope they go windscreen! I'd like to see Apple ditch the white coloring and go silver.
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org

Last edited by OGN on Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
WC3_Gamer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, maybe they'll make the 1.42 the 499 model, and the 599 would become 1.56, and the 699 also 1.56 (or somewhere in that range)
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is any video chipset update within the next month...I'll eat my hat!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Todd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great.....I waited for the July 11th rumor to pass and now I have had my mini less than a week and new minis are expected. Sad I'm sad........
WC3_Gamer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, but who knows, i belive this one SLIGHTLY more than the last one, only because of a SLIGHT amount of proof.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd wrote:
Great.....I waited for the July 11th rumor to pass and now I have had my mini less than a week and new minis are expected. Sad I'm sad........

If anything, they'll incorporate some of the BTO options as standard (more RAM, perhaps bigger HD, etc). I doubt that you'll see anything that you won't be able to update yourself.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Macsince84

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For once the timing is in my favor. I am due for a system refresh and it looks for once the money and the roll out is happeng at the same time. If history is any indicator there will be more bang for the buck at the same price point. Who knows about the 699 option but would guess it's based on Mac Mini sales history. Now to figure out what I am going to do with all the desk space I'll be able to reclaim. Very Happy
blenderdude

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really, really, really, really really really hope that apple updates the base mac mini to 512mb ram standard, as I won't be able to afford the ram upgrade at the time of purchase.

However, the base emac also has 256mb ram standard. If/when the iBook and Mac mini updates happen, do you think they would update the standard ram to a sensible amount (256 mb is inexcuasble) but leave the eMac behind?

I don't care one bit about the eMac myself, but I wouldn't want to see base ibooks and mac minis still ship with 256mb just to keep things consistent across product lines.... :\
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
castaway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exciting news for people that are waiting for the refresh. Not so good if you purchased your Mac mini over the past few weeks. Sad
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
If there is any video chipset update within the next month...I'll eat my hat!!

What makes you say that? Apple knows they have to make the Mac mini Core Image capable. They have to do the same with the iBook.

My predictions:
1.42GHz PowerPC G4
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
60GB Ultra ATA Drive
Combo Drive
NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 (64MB DDR)
$499.00

1.50GHz PowerPC G4
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
80GB Ultra ATA Drive
Combo Drive
$599.00

1.50GHz PowerPC G4
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
80GB Ultra ATA Drive
Super Drive
Airport Extreme/Bluetooth built-in
$699.00
sth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they make the Hitachi 7k60/7k80/7k100 drives an option for the mini (those are 7200rpm 2.5" drives).

For video I'd personally prefer a low-power radeon 9600 over the fx5200. Both would be realistic (both chips are already being used in the powerbook line) but I think the fx5200 is cheaper.

But no matter how: If the new Minis get a CoreImage-capable card, I'll buy one as soon as I can afford it Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: