123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple TV Hot to the Touch?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkeyboy87

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Apple TV Hot to the Touch? Reply with quote

Set up my apple TV last night. Brilliant, just brillant I would say. One thing I noticed is that the unit became very hot to the touch overnight. anyone else notice this or experiencing this?
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is completely normal from everything I've read about the Apple TV. Supposedly the Apple TV uses the top of its case as a heatsink. People are basically recommending that you put the Apple TV in standby mode when its not in use to control the heat. It has also been suggested that using streaming instead of syncing let's the Apple TV run cooler. I'll let you know for sure when I get one. Laughing
jeremyh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeyboy,

devo is spot on. Although I've not heard of the streaming/syncing heat difference- it actually seems the opposite would be true- but I didn't engineer the thing.

The thing I wonder about is the lifespan of the hard disk given that hard disks and heat don't mix well and that drive is sitting right there in the middle of the hot zone.

I'll experiment a bit more myself. So far, I've sync'ed to my MBP. Last night, I installed it for good in the entertainment center and will now stream from the other Macs in the house. If I have anything of significance to report, I will post it here.
monkeyboy87

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info. I had to do a power reset on the weekend and I had wondered if there was something like the fan speed on the mac mini when you reset the soft ram.

after 3 days the unit is still hot to the touch but I am not noticing any difference in the ambient temperature around the unit even when I closed glass doors to the front of the stereo cabinet. to be safe I put in an 80mm fan and a bit of dryer vent to help suck air out of the case.

thanks for the reassurring comments though...

/\/\onkeyBoy
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeyboy87 wrote:
after 3 days the unit is still hot to the touch but I am not noticing any difference in the ambient temperature around the unit even when I closed glass doors to the front of the stereo cabinet. to be safe I put in an 80mm fan and a bit of dryer vent to help suck air out of the case.

That's probably not a bad idea if your Apple TV is enclosed in a stereo cabinet without a lot of ventilation. How are you powering the fan?
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally had the chance to touch one yesterday. They are pretty darn hot! I have the Apple logo branded on my palm to prove it. Shocked Wink

Honestly, I can't imagine running OS X on it without a meltdown.
Scarpad

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my second ATV yesterday for use in my basement HT. I noticed after runnning it awhile it was warm but not extremely hot like the one I recevied earlier this week that I'm using in my living room. So there seems to be some varience in the heat these things throw off. Has anyone else with multiple ATV's experienced the same?

I'm really impressed with the ATV. I can't believe even in my Basement, where sometimes it can be difficult to get a Wireless signal, I can stream video without a hiccup. I Was ready to drop a Ethernet cable to it, but there's no need. This has the become the solution I've been looking for for the last few years.
FritzQ

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh I'm not getting AppleTV...but I heard that it doubles the entertainment value because you can pop a bag of popcorn on top of it.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarpad wrote:
So there seems to be some varience in the heat these things throw off. Has anyone else with multiple ATV's experienced the same?.

Are they connected using the same type connections? For example, I've heard they can run warmer if HDMI is being used.

FritzQ wrote:
Eh I'm not getting AppleTV...but I heard that it doubles the entertainment value because you can pop a bag of popcorn on top of it.

Popcorn and a movie isn't such a bad thing.

By the way, you just made me hungry! Laughing
iLife's a Bitch!
Scarpad

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
Scarpad wrote:
So there seems to be some varience in the heat these things throw off. Has anyone else with multiple ATV's experienced the same?.

Are they connected using the same type connections? For example, I've heard they can run warmer if HDMI is being used.

FritzQ wrote:

Popcorn and a movie isn't such a bad thing.

By the way, you just made me hungry! Laughing

Could be the one that is warmer is connected thru HDMI, the cooler one thru component.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarpad wrote:
Could be the one that is warmer is connected thru HDMI, the cooler one thru component.

I've tested mine both ways. It definitely runs warmer when connected with HDMI. It also seems to run a tad warmer when an ethernet connection is being used instead of AirPort. I'm using component with digital optical out and AirPort.
cuvtixo

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Search for an external usb fan Reply with quote

I've bought a Thermaltake Mobile Fan II External USB Cooling Fan.
I hear it works great on Xbox360 and P3's
Thermaltake also has the Mobile Fan II+, which has purdy blue LED lights.
If you're not using the usb port for anything else, why not?

Kensington makes a nice fan too, but seems to me to be strictly designed for keeping computer users cool, not the machines.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Search for an external usb fan Reply with quote

cuvtixo wrote:
I hear it works great on Xbox360 and P3's
Thermaltake also has the Mobile Fan II+, which has purdy blue LED lights.
If you're not using the usb port for anything else, why not?

Kensington makes a nice fan too, but seems to me to be strictly designed for keeping computer users cool, not the machines.

I thought about buying one of those laptop coolers form mine. I'm not worried about the Apple TV running hot and catching fire. Although, that crossed my mind at first. I just think this heat is going to be hard on internal components, such as the hard drive and power supply, over the long term.
iLife's a Bitch!
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Search for an external usb fan Reply with quote

cuvtixo wrote:

It's good to see the USB port come in handy for something. Laughing

How do you have the fan setup to blow across the Apple TV?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: