123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Stores and upgrades question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
e3mw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Apple Stores and upgrades question Reply with quote

Sorry if this has been asked before, but i'll give it a shot. I ordered my Mini without the bluetooth/Wifi option, (didn't feel like spending the extra $100 at the time.) and while I was browsing around for apple's wireless keyboard today I noticed that it makes use of the bluetooth, so I started having second thoughts. I know of an apple store about an hour away from where I live, do you guys think if I called up there later-- whenever I feel like upgrading to a wireless keyboard and told them that I wanted a BT/Airport card upgrade that they could do the service, installation of the card? (Because from what I hear, it isn't exactly fun and games putting in the BT and Wifi cards into Mini's that don't have them.)

What are your experiences with getting your Mini's serviced at Apple Stores? Will they do it? What will they charge for the installation?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. They can do the upgrade for basically the same price as the AE/Bluetooth B.T.O. option that was available when you ordered it. The kit is $99 plus tax. I would call them in advance to see if they have the kits in stock at you local Apple store.
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option if you don't need airport is to get a USB bluetooth dongle. They're ~$40.
But you'll probably not want to use up a USB port.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Another option if you don't need airport is to get a USB bluetooth dongle. They're ~$40.
But you'll probably not want to use up a USB port.

Agree. If you just need Bluetooth for the Apple keyboard and mouse get a D-Link Bluetooth USB adapter. Chances are you were going to use one of those USB ports for a keyboard and mouse anyways. You can get one on Amazon for $30.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006B7DB/
iLife's a Bitch!
e3mw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a BT dongle that was given to me a while back. but I am unsure if it works with MacOS... only one way to find out Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Austin MacTexas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have first hand experience. The Apple store in Austin installed my wifi/bluetooth module for free in under fifteen minutes. My invoice read: Labor $0.01, Rebate -$0.01 (go figure)
manatarms

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: BT dongle Reply with quote

Dont think the USB Blue tooth device will work.
caulktel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wal-Mart in my area sells a cheapo USB Blue Tooth adapter for $28.00, and it says right on the package that it works with Mac and Windows. FYI.
e3mw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The device DID work. I've got BT on my mini for a fraction of the cost. But with the expense of one of those precious USB ports.

/e3mw
Angelus520

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a refurb maxed out mini two weeks ago tomorrow from the Apple Store on Michigan Avenue for $599 and want to upgrade the RAM and possibly the HDD.

Will the Apple Store install aftermarket RAM & HDD or do I have to get it from them? I usually get my stuff from MacSales.

Thanks!
idave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angelus520 wrote:
I just picked up a refurb maxed out mini two weeks ago tomorrow from the Apple Store on Michigan Avenue for $599 and want to upgrade the RAM and possibly the HDD.

Will the Apple Store install aftermarket RAM & HDD or do I have to get it from them? I usually get my stuff from MacSales.

Thanks!

Installing the RAM is really easy. The hard drive is a little harder. But it's still manageable for the novice geek. Take a look at the Macfixit guides. You might be surprised!

http://www.pbfixit.com/Guide/82.0.0.html
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
moldymac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of those cheap walmart adapter and it works good, I have one of the 15" studio displays with an adc adapter and the bluetooth sits on the rear usb of th monitor, out of site, all works great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: