123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shiira 2.0 Released

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Shiira 2.0 Released Reply with quote

Shiira 2.0 Released
Monday, April 23, 2007
Posted by: Charles

The Shiira Project has announced the release of Shiira 2.0, an open source web browser based on Web Kit and written in Cocoa. The goal of the Shiira Project is to create a browser that is "better and more useful than Safari". The complete change log for Shiira 2.0 hasn't been posted yet, but some of the new features include an enhanced user interface, PageDock, HUD Panels, Shelf, and Full Screen Mode. Shiira 2.0 is a Universal build (PowerPC and Intel), and requires Mac OS X 10.4 or later.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/640.html
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Safari had a full-screen mode.
Tuishimi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: It looks wonderful... Reply with quote

...It looks wonderful but it is missing some serious functionality at the moment.

If some of the bugs and missing pieces are ironed out that could easily become my default browser. It is fast, offers preview icons instead of tabs (hey, I'm an omniweb user Smile), growl integration, transparent tear-off like windows (not really tear off, but easy access to some functionality), etc.

HOWEVER... tell me if it works for you but, the bookmark shelf is useless and I cannot manage bookmarks at all. It also has UI glitches where parts of the window overlap under certain circumstances. Also, many of the preferences are not tied into the application yet, for instance, setting the startup page or the download folder.

Once that kind of stuff is fixed, I will revisit it!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
stevenz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bookmarks system is awful, RSS support is a pain to use. The page previews in tabs is quite good, and it does seem very quick, but it still feels very "beta". I'll give it another go when v3.0 turns up.
Tuishimi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

I did find a way to hack the bookmarks. They are kept in an SQLite database in the application support folder for Shiira. Smile Pretty basic layout. It is tedious adding your bookmarks but I am thinking of doing it via a program... not tonight, maybe tomorrow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The features are cool, but it definitely needs some more work. I don't understand why they would release something so buggy.
iLife's a Bitch!
splen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems really promising, but there are too many serious bugs to seriously call this anything other than a beta release. The bookmarks don't work for me either, and it has quit on me more times than I have been able to shut it down cleanly! i hope they address the problems soon, as the idea is great and it would be a shame if it never reached a useable state.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splen wrote:
It seems really promising, but there are too many serious bugs to seriously call this anything other than a beta release. The bookmarks don't work for me either, and it has quit on me more times than I have been able to shut it down cleanly! i hope they address the problems soon, as the idea is great and it would be a shame if it never reached a useable state.

I agree. The strange thing is, the 2.0 beta has been out for a while. It's not like they didn't have the time to make it better. I wonder if they are throwing in the towel? Kind of a take it or leave it thing.

I hope that isn't the case. They do have some neat ideas. I also think it looks great.
iLife's a Bitch!
milo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the 1.x version for a few weeks, and found it very good indeed. Similar to Safari, but with better icons and dragable tabs.
I don't like the look of 2.x at all.
splen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milo wrote:
I've been using the 1.x version for a few weeks, and found it very good indeed. Similar to Safari, but with better icons and dragable tabs.
I don't like the look of 2.x at all.

I used that version for a long time too, It was my browser of choice until it started to act funny on sites that needed me to log in (including this one!) so I went back to safari - via camino!

I like the way you can choose to have the toolbar at the top be just text, it makes a big difference if you don't have a high res screen!
cuvtixo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Revenge of Open Source? KDE, KHTML and Konquerer Reply with quote

From Wikipedia: Apple publishes the source code for up to date and all previous versions of their version of the KHTML engine, called WebCore and WebKit, as required by the LGPL. The exchange of code patches between the two branches of KHTML has diverged because the projects have increasingly different approaches.
Contributing to the separation, Apple had not complied with parts of the Open Source philosophy. Examples include Apple working on their version of KHTML for a year before making their fork public, and Apple sometimes submitting their changes in large patches that incorporate a great number of changes, in some cases leaving code to do with future feature additions undocumented. The former example made it difficult for the KDE developers to incorporate the changes

Are the Shiira developers aware of all this history? The project may help keep Apple more honest about development-- perhaps this is a major motive or even the main motivation for Shiira? I'm very happy with Firefox, but I guess there's always room for another browser! Very Happy
frankblourtango

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it installed for a while. It was crashing a lot for me. I had to force a shutdown a few times too. Confused
I uninstalled it.
Imac
Ubuntu linux on two boxes
windows junkyard network
XP P4
Tuishimi

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been several updates over the past few weeks fixing what amount to trivial things (at least to me) while you STILL cannot manage bookmarks.

How about basic functionality before working on visual glitches and problems with all the little flashy extra bits?

A browser is not a browser without bookmarks. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: