123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Joost
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: You can get an invite yourself at https://joost.com/presents/gigaom-newteevee/

Last edited by Pleiades on Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:20 am; edited 2 times in total
ShaneHale

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some invites as well if needed.

- shane
[url=http://shanemhale.com/more/apollo.php][img]http://shanemhale.com/assets/blog/apollo.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.entertainmac.com][img]http://shanemhale.com/assets/blog/entertainmac.jpg[/img][/url]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rackerby

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extremely poor picture quality and limited title selection make this not worth my time.
myminirocks

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have stacks of invites, sorry ClunkClunk you were doing so well so I left it up to you Very Happy
Elgato EyeTV Diversity
16G iPhone 3G
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For future use, sign up for an invite on this form, as it'll save you some time:
http://joost.com/presents/gigaom-newteevee/
bartjanm

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say joost is great! offcourse it's still beta, but still a good selection of channels and content.

It's the concept which really rocks!
apierge

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Joost Reply with quote

ClunkClunk roooocks!!!!
Thanks again, mate!
Mac Mini intel core solo - Gyration wireless K&M - iPod 5.5g 30Giga - Samsung LE46M51BX - Denon AVR3805 - Dantax "Opera" Loudspeakers (front-sub) Pioneer (back) - Pioneer AVR545-HX-S DVD Player/HHD Recorder/DVB tuner - Maxtor 320GB NAS
apierge

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Joost Reply with quote

Ok, I have tried it (thanks to ClinkClink). First impressions:
1) Interface: as other users said, the interface is quite good, intuiitive, with pop-us and scroll menus that make it easy to navigate. It is easy also to configure, primarily because the choices are still limited to the basics (my channels, my userame&password, my widgets and some more).
2) Broadcasting speed&quality: I first tried it when in the US was still early in the morning (in Italy was nine am). At that time broadcasting speed was good, with almost no freezing at all, probably because of the relatively few users on-line. When I tried to connect late in the evening (afternoon in the US), I experienced some "freezes", but nothing serious.
Image quality on my 46" is acceptable, with some pixelation, but obviously no HD. Therefore, the smaller the screen the better the image quality. Aspect ratio is 4:3, I did not find any widescreen content.
3) Contents: these are still limited to "niche" thematic channels, not comparable to a cable/satellite television offering. You cannot find any syndacation (ABC, CBS, NBC...). Anyway, the average quality is good, you just have to find something that interest you (I'm not really into wrestling, monster cars or mute b&w short movies...). As a conclusion, Joost is still not a threat to "traditional" satellite/cable TV, but I will keep an eye open for news.
To make a comparison, for those of you who also own a PC, you can try this other platform: www.coolstreaming.it
Mac Mini intel core solo - Gyration wireless K&M - iPod 5.5g 30Giga - Samsung LE46M51BX - Denon AVR3805 - Dantax "Opera" Loudspeakers (front-sub) Pioneer (back) - Pioneer AVR545-HX-S DVD Player/HHD Recorder/DVB tuner - Maxtor 320GB NAS
apierge

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Wikipedia I have found an interesting article regarding major players in the entertainmend industry who are negotiating alliances with Joost. Here is the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joost#Channels
Therefore, I expect that in the near future contents will broad to more "generalistic" channels.

Anyway, if this can be of interest to some of you, among the current available channels there is "Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Models Preview" and "Just for Laughs - Nude and happy"... Wink
Livenstak

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="apierge"]
Anyway, if this can be of interest to some of you, among the current available channels there is "Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Models Preview" and "Just for Laughs - Nude and happy"... Wink[/quote]

You're sure it's not the same channel ?
apierge

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Livenstak"][quote="apierge"]
Anyway, if this can be of interest to some of you, among the current available channels there is "Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Models Preview" and "Just for Laughs - Nude and happy"... Wink[/quote]

You're sure it's not the same channel ?[/quote]

No, these are two different channels: the first is associated to "Sport Illustrated" Magazine, the latter is a spin-off of the series made in Canada and often sold to airlines for in-flight entertainment, regarding "hidden camera" sketches. The only difference is that this serie display the reaction of people (mostly male) when they see a woman undressing in the middle of the road or in other unusual places.

One more reference to a previous post of mine: "I first tried it when in the US was still early in the morning (in Italy was nine am). At that time broadcasting speed was good, with almost no freezing at all, probably because of the relatively few users on-line." This is not correct, as the broadcasting principle of Joost is based on P2P. This means the more people is connected, the better quality of streaming.
Livenstak

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, sorry. That was a feeble attempt at being funny.
DeeLondon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How well does a Mac Mini play Joost Channels?

Can the Intel 950 card in the Mac Mini handle it?

Some people are saying choppy playback - have you all sorted out the problem?
apierge

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a core solo, and it runs Joost smoothly!
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DeeLondon"]How well does a Mac Mini play Joost Channels?

Can the Intel 950 card in the Mac Mini handle it?

Some people are saying choppy playback - have you all sorted out the problem?[/quote]
I don't think any issues with Joost are video card related, as it's only 2D stuff. My guess is any choppy playback is either a software bug within Joost, or a slow or inconsistent internet connection, as the video is being streamed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: