123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it ok to leave the mini running for days without a reboot
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Livenstak

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is an Onyx maintenance doing what the Mini/Tiger will do during sleep time ? Or is there any way to force these tasks to be done during day time ?

[quote]Sleeping as 2 or 3 am? that's my most productive time for doing school work.[/quote]
Well, scientific studies about human circadian rhythms show it shouldn't. Maybe you have ASPS or DSPS syndrome. Or you party too much Wink
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: nope Reply with quote

I don't know why I'm like that, but it's more like insomnia where I can go days with very little or no sleep, but about 3-4 hours a day is enough for me, and I don't party, drink, smoke (if i did I would risk what one lung I have left), or much harmful to my body outside of my diet. I guess I'm like a Windoze server can keep going and going with little rest and an occasional, but preset and preplanned, crash (I call it Saturday night). I'm a weird case, I also have other things wrong with me that don't normally match up. I set Azureus's download rates so they are higher during the day and low at night when I actually play games.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
treadlightly

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mini and iBook are both on 24/7 since they run [url=http://www.teammacosx.com]Folding[/url]. I set the HD work to the max possible so that Folding isn't accessing the HD as often. I also remove the battery in the iBook when it is charged and plugged in. Fortunately they are two low-power computers. Generally speaking, if you are having problems with a Mac, you are more likely to be shutting down your computer every night, as has been mentioned several times. I recently took the iBook to a conference for a presentation. It had over 30 days uptime, but someone else shut it down for me after my presentation. Laughing I don't run the software updates every time they come out, it depends on what needs updating and why. If I decide it's not too vital, I'll wait until a more important update comes out later and do both at the same time.
Soundman

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ClunkClunk"][quote="heavy_nutz"]Not having it sleep will most likely harm the computer or the HD will not get o relax it will just run full speed the whole time. you should atleast let it sleep.[/quote]
Not necessarily. By keeping it on constantly, the internal components are at roughly the same temperature always. By sleeping or shutting off, components cool, and tolerances change. This is especially important with components with moving parts and tight tolerances, like a hard drive.

However, with the huge MTBF rate of most modern components, you're not going to see much of a difference in reliability from keeping something running 24/7, sleeping it, or shutting it down regularly. Although, like anything, MTBF rates are just statistics, and can be easily manipulated or interpreted differently, and only are good data for a population of components vs. individual units.[/quote]

I totally agree, I don´t have a mini, but I have worked with computers for 12 years now. I haven´t noticed any problem with having a computer on 24/7.

2. Apple Mac mini 1,66 Ghz 1 GB Ram Combodrive

Samsung SyncMaster 225BW 22" LCD
Samsung LE-40F71 40" LCD TV

Yes, my english sucks Very Happy
jonny.jones

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter how stable your operating system, application software can still crash or be badly written. The problem with leaving a computer on for an extended period of time is that misbehaving applications can cause a gradual deterioration in performance. It's quite possible that your we browser (for example) could fail to shut down properly and, although you think that you've closed the application, a dangling process is left unterminated. The orphan process might only occupy a few KB of memory and an occasional processor cycle, but, if you open and close your web browser several times an hour for a few days, the cumulative effect could be significant. If you leave your computer switched on for weeks at a time then I'd suggest occasionally logging out, especially if you make heavy use of your desktop or you use buggy applications. However, it shouldn't be necessary to restart other than in exceptional circumstances.

As for maintenance scripts, I don't know much about OSX but I'm surprised by the earlier comments. Most desktop Linux distributions (Linux is very similar to OSX beneath the skin) use the anacron scheduler rather than cron. If the computer is switched off when anacron expects to run a scheduled task, the activity just starts when you next power up. I'd be very surprised if OS X doesn't do the same thing.
nickh2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a reboot every couple of days is good cause it clears the ram
Iphone 8gb
Red Ipod nano 4th gen 4gb
CHECK IT OUT
great file hosting/sharing site www.host-a.net
Ipod Master
Maxime

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Is it ok to leave the mini running for days without a re Reply with quote

[quote="elvtnedge"]or shutting down at night? I know it sleeps but would system performance always be best when rebooting say every day?[/quote]

My mini runs 24/7 and I only reboot it when an update requires it.
UpNorth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just going to bring this "shutdown vs. sleep vs. leave on" topic up, so I appreciate the insight.

As for cleaning, what do you do specifically to clean your Mini out? A can of air into the vents? (That seems like it may be harmful...)
Just curious.

Thanks in advance.
Rockysv

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would the cost be , in $ from leaving it on , or shutting it down
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rockysv"]What would the cost be , in $ from leaving it on , or shutting it down[/quote]
I recently read somewhere that while sleeping, a Mini consumes 20 watts of power (don't ask me where, I can't remember). If this is true then 20 watts = 1/50 of a kW. So to work out the cost of electricity that your Mini uses during an hour of sleep, find out the price that you pay for 1kWh of electricity from a recent bill and divide it by 50.
Tuishimi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is on 24/7. It obviously gets rebooted on occasion - but generally I leave it on, even in our 115 degree summers. (A/C on of course Razz)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JohnnyBoy"]I recently read somewhere that while sleeping, a Mini consumes 20 watts of power (don't ask me where, I can't remember). If this is true then 20 watts = 1/50 of a kW. So to work out the cost of electricity that your Mini uses during an hour of sleep, find out the price that you pay for 1kWh of electricity from a recent bill and divide it by 50.[/quote]
According to my PG&E bill, I pay $0.115 per kWh, so $0.00575 per hour of the Mini sleeping, $0.046 per 8 hours sleeping.
sgb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JohnnyBoy"][quote="Rockysv"]What would the cost be , in $ from leaving it on , or shutting it down[/quote]
I recently read somewhere that while sleeping, a Mini consumes 20 watts of power (don't ask me where, I can't remember). If this is true then 20 watts = 1/50 of a kW. So to work out the cost of electricity that your Mini uses during an hour of sleep, find out the price that you pay for 1kWh of electricity from a recent bill and divide it by 50.[/quote]

Or, to put it another way, J. B., your mini uses 1 KWH every 50 hours, which is 175.2 per year. Where I live, this translates into about $125/year.

I turn my computers off about 5:00 PM every day, and if I forget, I have the auto shut-off set for 9:00 PM. I have a friend who runs 3 Macs 24/7 — all with 2 old CRT type monitors each. I'd expect his electric bill runs about 3 times what mine does for his computer stuff.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The numbers aren't too bad for an efficient little machine like the Mini, and my 15" LCD monitor uses just 1W when it's on standby.

It gets much worse when you look into the current that a CRT television draws when it's on standby. Some sets use as much as 2/3 of the current that they would if they were on. Shocked
therealduckie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longest I ever had my mini running was 22 days straight. No sleeping or screensaver, either. Only Power management for the LCD.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/therealduckie/FirefoxScreenSnapz001.png[/img]

I'm waiting for Leopard's update to fix some issues with memory leaks so I can go back to those days.

To avoid issues with dust, i have my Mini on top of an empty external drive case which matches its style. Most dust occurs when the Mini is close to a flat surface.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: