123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it ok to leave the mini running for days without a reboot
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elvtnedge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Is it ok to leave the mini running for days without a reboot Reply with quote

or shutting down at night? I know it sleeps but would system performance always be best when rebooting say every day?
ShaneHale

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it ok to leave the mini running for days without a re Reply with quote

[quote="elvtnedge"]or shutting down at night? I know it sleeps but would system performance always be best when rebooting say every day?[/quote]

I do it all the time. I have min set to go to sleep after 1hr of inactivity. As long as you reboot ever once in a while, I don't see where the issue would be.

- shane
[url=http://shanemhale.com/more/apollo.php][img]http://shanemhale.com/assets/blog/apollo.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.entertainmac.com][img]http://shanemhale.com/assets/blog/entertainmac.jpg[/img][/url]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cory Cooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My minis run 24/7 unless there is a software update or I run some regular maintenance routines.

C
VT N0362 2x2 G5; 4GB
Xserve (SL) 2x1.33 G4; 2GB
QS 2002 2x1 G4; 1.5GB
128K 8 68000
8 other Macs and an Apple //e
fiveightandten

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it ok to leave the mini running for days without a re Reply with quote

[quote="elvtnedge"]or shutting down at night? I know it sleeps but would system performance always be best when rebooting say every day?[/quote]
It's actually preferable to leave it running overnight now and again. This is when the system runs maintenance scripts in the background. It'll do it at like 2 or 3am while you're sleeping.

-Nick
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure exactly, but at last check my Mini had over two weeks of uptime. It's perfectly OK to leave it on for long periods of time, as long as you don't mind the electric bill Smile
frankblourtango

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I leave mine running 24/7. I don't even have it sleep. I do the same thing with my PC's. I think it does all computers good to get a reboot every once in a while to clear out the bad juju and reload the OS.

I use a blank or black screen saver to 'lesson my carbon footprint' and keep those expensive dudes from dying any sooner than they have to.
Imac
Ubuntu linux on two boxes
windows junkyard network
XP P4
heavy_nutz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="frankblourtango"]I leave mine running 24/7. I don't even have it sleep. I do the same thing with my PC's. I think it does all computers good to get a reboot every once in a while to clear out the bad juju and reload the OS.

I use a blank or black screen saver to 'lesson my carbon footprint' and keep those expensive dudes from dying any sooner than they have to.[/quote]
Not having it sleep will most likely harm the computer or the HD will not get o relax it will just run full speed the whole time. you should atleast let it sleep.

Anyways, I have my mini run 24/7 except for a software update
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="heavy_nutz"]Not having it sleep will most likely harm the computer or the HD will not get o relax it will just run full speed the whole time. you should atleast let it sleep.[/quote]
Not necessarily. By keeping it on constantly, the internal components are at roughly the same temperature always. By sleeping or shutting off, components cool, and tolerances change. This is especially important with components with moving parts and tight tolerances, like a hard drive.

However, with the huge MTBF rate of most modern components, you're not going to see much of a difference in reliability from keeping something running 24/7, sleeping it, or shutting it down regularly. Although, like anything, MTBF rates are just statistics, and can be easily manipulated or interpreted differently, and only are good data for a population of components vs. individual units.
frankblourtango

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in my electronics technician days, before I met Elvis, we referred to it as thermal fatigue. That doesn't mean that you are hot and tired, it means that the tolerances change because of being heated up and cooled off over and over. The illustration was to point out that a light bulb usually burns out when you turn it on. The concern was the failure of the power supply.

Another consideration from the old days was chip creep, caused by thermal action when memory was plugged into DIP sockets. That problem has been engineered out a long time ago. Generally memory is held in with some type of clip mechanism these days.

Servers run full blast 24/7 and they aren't that much different from any other computer.
Imac
Ubuntu linux on two boxes
windows junkyard network
XP P4
Cory Cooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="frankblourtango"]Servers run full blast 24/7 and they aren't that much different from any other computer.[/quote]
Correct. My Xserve is currently at 686 days of uptime.

Smile
VT N0362 2x2 G5; 4GB
Xserve (SL) 2x1.33 G4; 2GB
QS 2002 2x1 G4; 1.5GB
128K 8 68000
8 other Macs and an Apple //e
DCGuy

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shutdown mine every night.
I am not at home all day the next morning, so why have it running?

It uses power, fan could get dust in, and cleaning it sucks.
heavy_nutz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DCGuy"]I shutdown mine every night.
fan could get dust in, and cleaning it sucks.[/quote]
Dust can get in when your home too. Wink
FritzQ

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just give mine a reboot once a week. Other than that, it runs...(Well, sleeps of course). Fans never gotten dusty, always runs quiet...almost never has problems.
Macuser9214

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="heavy_nutz"][quote="DCGuy"]I shutdown mine every night.
fan could get dust in, and cleaning it sucks.[/quote]
Dust can get in when your home too. Wink[/quote]

Cleaning [i]that[/i] sucks, too!
lol
DCGuy

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give mini a bath weekly.

Little shampoo and its good as new!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: