123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying a Mac, Amazon vs. Apple
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abeato6

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Buying a Mac, Amazon vs. Apple Reply with quote

ok... hi all, I'm going to buy a MacBook soon, but I don't know if I should buy it at Amazon.com or Apple.com. Amazon doesn't charge taxes but Apple does so... anyone would choose Amazon.. but they say it's better to buy stuff from the main seller.. so... any help would be appreciated..

By the way, I always buy stuff at amazon so I know it is a trusted place.. but how about computers and stuff :/
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon also has some small rebates. If you want to customize your Mac, you almost have to use the Apple Store, or one of the resellers who will upgrade it for you (i.e. more RAM) for some fee; it's usually "free RAM (but you pay for installing it)". If you just want a stock whatever, Amazon is fine. I've had no problems with either Amazon or Apple replacing/repairing hardware when needed.

Doug
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If amazon is cheaper go with them. You can always take it back to an apple store if theres a problem any way.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind not being the first person to get their grubby hands on the machine since it left the womb of the Apple factory in China check out the [url=http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/6264001/wo/Wt5zIFsmMHXC2YHEjCDEDcpvR7Y/1.0.0.23.7.5.5.1.0.1.1]refurb store[/url]. Check it each day - most configurations will turn up over time.
abeato6

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thanks to all of you guys... after seeing this and other forums about this... i decided to go with Amazon... and since I wont pay taxes I'll spend the money on a 100GB 7200 rpm hard drive.. and I'll take the 80gb one and use it as an external one....what do u think?
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say that's a good idea. A 100GB 7200 internal drive would be nice paired with the stock 80GB drive that comes with the MacBook.
abeato6

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TyPod"]I say that's a good idea. A 100GB 7200 internal drive would be nice paired with the stock 80GB drive that comes with the MacBook.[/quote]

yeahh.. thanks..Razz any other ideas? Razz
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the last three Macs I've purchased new have been from Amazon. No tax in California, coupled with $75 to $200 in rebates almost always makes it cheaper than even a student discount.
abeato6

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ClunkClunk"]I think the last three Macs I've purchased new have been from Amazon. No tax in California, coupled with $75 to $200 in rebates almost always makes it cheaper than even a student discount.[/quote]

woow... 3 macs from Amazon, do u regret it? Razz
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="abeato6"][quote="TyPod"]I say that's a good idea. A 100GB 7200 internal drive would be nice paired with the stock 80GB drive that comes with the MacBook.[/quote]

yeahh.. thanks..Razz any other ideas? Razz[/quote]
If your getting stock ram it may be a good idea to stick as much as you can afford in whilst your cracking it open to upgrade the HDD.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
diulei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ClunkClunk"]I think the last three Macs I've purchased new have been from Amazon. No tax in California, coupled with $75 to $200 in rebates almost always makes it cheaper than even a student discount.[/quote]

While I've noticed this can be true, lots of times University Bookstores have prices you have to call in for, since they are lower the Apple's required lowest advertising price, which can be even cheaper.

I bought my mom a 2.0GHz MacBook in February for $1149 + tax (usually $1199 with edu discount). And my school is again having another sale this month, I called and they said the same model is $999. I'm going to pick one up.

This much of a sale almost guarantees updated MacBooks soon, but I don't mind, I just can't pass up $999 + tax for a MacBook. If Apple does release something extraordinary, I can unload the MB on eBay or CL and probably get my full purchase price back.
abeato6

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok.. another question now... in amazon it says that there is a 75 dollar rebate.. how do rebates work anyway.. i mean i know they sent u a check or something but i'm not really sure.. is it online or in paper?
mongod80

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: apple Reply with quote

apple reburbished macs are the best deal anywhere. full warranty, get the configuration you want.
1.42 mac mini, SD, 30" Olevia, old G3 imac-dv, gyration mouse, wireless keyboard, ipod nano, shuffle, 30th Anniverssary TA #1165
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you click on the word "Rebate" to the left of the dollar amount, the details are explained. It's a mail-in rebate, with some (reasonable) time constraints. Amazon is almost always offering rebates, so even if one is about to expire there's a 99.44% chance it'll be replaced (for current equpment.)

Doug
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="abeato6"]ok.. another question now... in amazon it says that there is a 75 dollar rebate.. how do rebates work anyway.. i mean i know they sent u a check or something but i'm not really sure.. is it online or in paper?[/quote]
Usually you print a form, fill it out, mail it in via regular mail. About 6 weeks later you get a paper check back in the mail, which you can deposit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: