123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple delays Leopard until October
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might give Vista a try down the road, but it will never ever ever replace OS X as my primary OS. And when I do try Vista, it will be on a Mac. Very Happy
islandsnow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is EXACTLY how i feel... i too was waiting for leopard to arrive hoping that there would also be an upgrade to the current line of minis. like you leopard would have been nice to have. but i would have been satisfied running tiger on an upgraded mini. but if neither comes, then i might just stay with a new pc.

Cypher wrote:
Well as much as I would have loved to have tried a MAC, my patience is wearing pretty thin now.

I can buy a lot of PC for the money the mac mini was going to cost me, so if an updated mac mini doesn't arrive soon I will be buying a new PC.

I've held out for the Mini upgrade, Leopard was just a nice to have and I assumed the upgrade may have been held back to coincide. I really don't fancy spending my money on the current mac mini knowing it is due an upgrade.

I'm also now pretty worried about Apples focus, and with the name change, and mobile phone priorities it really make me wonder if they are committed to a long term computer business.

I've been running Microsoft OS for over 20 years and managed ok and a PC dual booting Windows / Linux is another option, so Apple are very close to loosing this customer. Sad
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost forgot. I can't wait to download this week's episode of TWiT later tonight or tomorrow. John Dvorak (assuming he is on) should have a field day with this one. Mad
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I almost forgot. I can't wait to download this week's episode of TWiT later tonight or tomorrow. John Dvorak (assuming he is on) should have a field day with this one. Mad

dvorak dot org slash blog.

Okay everyone drink!
Tuishimi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: I'm sorry everyone, this is my fault... Reply with quote

...I bought a new HD drive in anticipation of "Time Machine" in June... the next day Apple announces that Leopard will be delayed. On a brighter note, me buying a new disk also caused Fujitsu (I think it was) to announce their new 200 or 300 GB 2.5" 7200 RPM SATA drives. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
Dvorak dot org slash blog.

Okay everyone drink!

He was actually pretty tame. I thought their views on the iPhone release date were even more interesting. It doesn't sound like any of them have faith in Apple releasing it on time either. I guess this could be a long year for Apple.
ottmar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well of course there are always going to be delays when it comes to high tech equipment be it software or hardware. The thing that bothers me is the delay is due to the iPhone. Now to be honest although it LOOKS very nice, from what I understand of it the functionality is not all that amazing. It's a phone that plays music, videos and accesses the internet with a fairly small hard drive and running on the protocols of an obscure network provider. To me this does not add up to being worth delaying so many other Apple products, especially a new operating system that has already been a long time coming. I think this is a case of technojizz, Jobs and his pardners have just got carried away having a massive cream sesh over a jazzy phone and the upshot is, get a load of this: they have shot themselves in the foot.

KA-BOOM!
22" Samsung T220
Apple Keyboard
4GB iPod nano
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ottmar wrote:
Well of course there are always going to be delays when it comes to high tech equipment be it software or hardware. The thing that bothers me is the delay is due to the iPhone. Now to be honest although it LOOKS very nice, from what I understand of it the functionality is not all that amazing. It's a phone that plays music, videos and accesses the internet with a fairly small hard drive and running on the protocols of an obscure network provider. To me this does not add up to being worth delaying so many other Apple products, especially a new operating system that has already been a long time coming. I think this is a case of technojizz, Jobs and his pardners have just got carried away having a massive cream sesh over a jazzy phone and the upshot is, get a load of this: they have shot themselves in the foot.

KA-BOOM!

I don't agree. People said the same thing about the iPod. I have seen countless rants about Apple lossing it's focus as a computer company. The product diversity only adds value to the Mac platform. I like how nicely all my products get along with one another.

I think it's a little soon to discredit the iPhone. Many people have felt the same as you, but once they actually held and used the iPhone, they became very impressed.
resuna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Sheesh, no wonder Apple's playing blame games. Reply with quote

diulei wrote:
Let's just hope Apple doesn't pull a Longhorn/Vista.
This sort of invidious comparison between a minor release that's a few months late and a major release being delayed years is undoubtedly why Apple came up with the excuse that it was being delayed because of the iPhone.

Look, Microsoft still hasn't delivered everything they promised in *Cairo* (which became Windows 2000) let alone Longhorn. Vista has been scaled back until virtually everything that might have actually benefitted the user has been removed so they can ship *something* with the strong copy protection they've been promising Hollywood...

Leopard is a minor upgrade to OS X... there's no indication of any deep changes in the system... and the reports from recent seeds indicate that the problems are mostly a matter of new application features (like the integration between Finder and Remote Desktop) causing problems. Not only is there no indication that it's going to be missing promised features, new features keep showing up in newer seeds.

There's no comparison between Leopard and Longhorn, other than the first letter of the name.
resuna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marka87uk wrote:
Now I have the option of either a six month wait to get the latest software and possibly hardware... or buy sooner and maybe regret it in October! Rolling Eyes
I'd wait. There's always the chance that they'll wise up and put that nice nVidia chip from the AppleTV in the next Mac Mini instead of another awful Integrated Intel GPU.
resuna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ben_tex"]
DCGuy wrote:
Nothing is holding them back! That said, Apple hasn't offered OS upgrade discounts/coupons this far out in the past.
In fact, they did that to us with the original Mini. I'd barely worn the new off my mini when they announced Tiger... and no discounts for recent buyers.
resuna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I'm glad that Apple hasn't outsourced its stuff to India like some of the other computer companies have. I'll take a 6 month delay if it prevents that from happening.
Frankly, I wish they'd outsource laptops to IBM/Lenovo Japan again, like they did once before and produced one of the "cult classic" Powerbooks.

Apple isn't that great a hardware company. They're great at design, but lousy at implementation. It's useful to get a perspective some time by reading through the system descriptions at Low End Mac and chuckling about the "road apples"... many of which I've personally had to deal with. At least Jobs gave up on his "No ugly monitors on nice macs" pledge (which I'm sure we're all grateful for), but unfortunately I don't think we'll see Mac OS on a "Thinkpad" again.

Quote:
This coupon we're talking about would hopefully be be offered soon. A $19.95 Leopard upgrade program offered with new Macs would be great. Don't you think?
It'd be great, but it won't happen.
resuna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
There are two groups I feel sorry for.

2- Software developers that have developed programs that are designed for Leopard. Lots of lost potential revenue. Especially if you invested quite a bit of time and money in the developement. Waiting longer on their return on investement could be brutal.
I don't feel at all sorry for software developers who have written software that depends on Leopard. If they can't figure out how to make it work on Tiger, or even Panther or Jaguar, then they need to go back to boot camp.

A few years back I found a program I'd originally written for the PDP-11 when I was in college... I'd posted it on Usenet and what was then ARPAnet and forgotten about it, and ran across it in an old archive in an unrelated google search.

Compiled it, no errors, and it ran... on a 64-bit processor that hadn't existed when I wrote it, on a remote descendant of the original operating system I'd written it for. Because I hadn't taken advantage of any version-specific features of the OS, because I'd written it using standard libraries rather than new and unstable ones. For example, the cursor control was done using raw termcap rather than curses... and while it's linked today with libcurses, curses still provides the termcap API but its high level API has changed quite a bit since 1980.

People make a big deal about the difficulty of writing portable code, but it's easier than paying bills... and I assume we're all able to manage that.
resuna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris..S wrote:
The problem for Apple is that within a year or two there will be no iPod market. Mobile phones will have subsumed the functionality.
How often have I heard people claim that the iPod needs PDA functionality, or FM radio built in, or some other capability... and yet it's managed fine purely as an MP3 player. Because MP3 players aren't used the same as PDAs and phones.

I've had an MP3-playing mobile phone before, and integrating an MP3 player with a phone or a PDA is a bum's game. Why? Well, how often have you flattened your music player's batteries, or gotten low enough you turned it off hours away from a chance to recharge? What happens ... well, you can't listen to music for a while. I've gone days (days, I tell you) with no MP3 player, but going a few hours with a dead cellphone is no fun... and cellphones these days have increasingly poor battery life as they get smaller and more featureful.
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly what you mean - I don't want a phone+pda. I like my very small single function phone and my separate pda which I can leave behind when I'm not working. But the market for standalone pda's has all but died. The whizbang new products are "smartphones".

As someone above pointed out, there will still be a market for standalone mp3 players, but the bulk of the market and all the innovation will be in dual purpose phones that store several GB of music & videos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: