123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple delays Leopard until October
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
There are two groups I feel sorry for.

How about a third group?

3 - Apple shareholders. Today wasn't a good day for them.

By the way, I'm starting to think that blaming the iPhone was just an easy way out for Apple. It's possible that Leopard is coming to together as planned. Most of developers are saying that it's really buggy. Blaming the iPhone gives Apple more time and in a strange way helps them promote the iPhone itself. I'm not buying it anymore.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as much as I would have loved to have tried a MAC, my patience is wearing pretty thin now.

I can buy a lot of PC for the money the mac mini was going to cost me, so if an updated mac mini doesn't arrive soon I will be buying a new PC.

I've held out for the Mini upgrade, Leopard was just a nice to have and I assumed the upgrade may have been held back to coincide. I really don't fancy spending my money on the current mac mini knowing it is due an upgrade.

I'm also now pretty worried about Apples focus, and with the name change, and mobile phone priorities it really make me wonder if they are committed to a long term computer business.

I've been running Microsoft OS for over 20 years and managed ok and a PC dual booting Windows / Linux is another option, so Apple are very close to loosing this customer. Sad
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I've been running Microsoft OS for over 20 years and managed ok and a PC dual booting Windows / Linux is another option, so Apple are very close to loosing this customer. Sad

I feel bad for you guys that waited. That being said, I would hang in there if your current hardware has life left in it. A new C2D Mac mini with Leopard and iLife '07.5 Wink preinstalled is going to be a nice offering for you guys. I think it will be worth the wait. And don't forget, you'll be able to run Vista on it too. I hate telling people what to do, but I would at least wait until the WWDC keynote before making your mind up. You might be sorry when you see everything Leopard has to offer. JMHO
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't even consider trading my G4 mini (2 years old) for a $1000 PC with Vista, not a chance. The current minis spank my machine.
Jeffy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with John C Dvorak. Pull the plug on the iPhone and refocus on the iPod, software and computers. Surprised
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iPhone does have a pretty big spotlight on it right now. Once it's released, i'm sure the talk about the iPhone will decrease, like any product.
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffy wrote:
I'm with John C Dvorak. Pull the plug on the iPhone and refocus on the iPod, software and computers. Surprised

The problem for Apple is that within a year or two there will be no iPod market. Mobile phones will have subsumed the functionality. The same thing is happening to the PDA market and the GPS market. Why carry several devices when you can carry one?
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
snip

This is all good. Just give buyers of new machines a Leopard upgrade coupon and we can all be happy.

Except those still waiting for a Core 2 Duo in the mini Smile

Exactly my thoughts.. I'm wearing out. If a Linux desktop appeared just as good as OSX I might consider buying a nice small factor PC... Surprised
DellApple

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vista is such a great software package that I may switch back to Microsoft.

I'm a Mac switcher for the past four years but I am totally impressed with Microsoft Vista.
Texark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger is already better than Vista! I can't imagine Leopard being a step down from Tiger, so Leopard is really going to kill it.
jakandhismac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: hey its not that bad Reply with quote

i dont really mind, i mean yeah it would be really cool to have leopard in june, but now it just gives me more time to save up for a mbp =D, maby the fact that im 14 and way strapped for cash has something to do with it, but i have a 1.25 mini with 1gb of ram, and im thinking its gonna last me at least another 2-3 years before i HAVE to replacce it, i currently want a mobile mac to use in trips and stuff, but i can wait and i dont actually NEED a new laptop (yet)
DCGuy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Windows 2K for years after XP came out, without upgrading

You dont need to run out and get the latest, greatest OS, if the one you are using now does everything you need.
Jeffy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris..S wrote:
The problem for Apple is that within a year or two there will be no iPod market. Mobile phones will have subsumed the functionality. The same thing is happening to the PDA market and the GPS market. Why carry several devices when you can carry one?

You're probably right. I think there will always be a market for a small standalone MP3 players like the iPod nano, but larger players like the iPod will probably be cannibalized by the iPhone in couple of years when prices come down. I just hope they don't forget about computers and software in the meantime. They are really what drew me to Apple in the first place.
mdgm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
There are two groups I feel sorry for.

1- Those who waited until Spring to buy a new machine with Leopard. Especially those who are stuck running Windows Smile.

Thanks. Looks like I'll have to give windows an extra few months while I wait for Leopard. I just hope the C2D mac mini isn't too far away. I hope that the fact that prices for C2D processors are dropping this month, will finally get Apple to introduce it.

Who cares about the stupid iPhone? Apple should have just done the work on Leopard and get it finished properly in the American Spring time frame.
ranger1021

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DellApple wrote:
Vista is such a great software package that I may switch back to Microsoft.

I'm a Mac switcher for the past four years but I am totally impressed with Microsoft Vista.

You might want to rethink that. One of my friend's dad recently switched from XP to Vista, and here is what he said:

"My dad's already transitioned from looking at Vista and saying,"Woah! so shiny!" to,"Come on! Just work you stupid !@#$! !@#$ !@#$ !@#$ !#@$." It didn't take very long. I'm sorta doing it too, but without the cussing."
Not good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: