123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Samsung Announces SpinPoint MP1 Series of 2.5"...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Samsung Announces SpinPoint MP1 Series of 2.5"... Reply with quote

Samsung Announces SpinPoint MP1 Series of 2.5" Hard Drives
Wednesday, April 11, 2007
Posted by: Glenn

Samsung today announced development of its SpinPoint MP1 series of 7200 RPM 2.5" hard drives. The new series provides the industry's highest storage density of 200GB at 7200 RPM on a 2.5" disk base with SATA interface. The drives utilize perpendicular magnetic recording, a serial ATA 3.0 Gbps interface, and feature native command queuing for high performance. To protect the drives from vibration and shock, a rotary vibration controller and an optional digital free-fall sensor have been implemented. The SpinPoint MP1 series will be available in 80GB, 120GB, 160GB, and 200GB capacities in May.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/633.html
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Samsung Announces SpinPoint MP1 Series of 2.5"... Reply with quote

Weren't perpendicular magnetic recording drives supposed to allow up to 10 times as much storage? Then why are they still starting at 80GB? Shouldn't we be seeing at least a four-fold increase, starting at 320GB for the low-end? Am I missing something? Shouldn't the 80GB drive cost a lot less?
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Samsung Announces SpinPoint MP1 Series of 2.5"... Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
Weren't perpendicular magnetic recording drives supposed to allow up to 10 times as much storage? Then why are they still starting at 80GB? Shouldn't we be seeing at least a four-fold increase, starting at 320GB for the low-end? Am I missing something? Shouldn't the 80GB drive cost a lot less?

I would say that 10x goal is for the long term. It's not going to happen over night. That said, the storage capacities have already increased substantially with the slower 4200RPM drives. Now it seems like the 5400RPM and 7200RPM drives are staring to pick up. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few 500GB models early next year.
iLife's a Bitch!
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see that more companys are coming out with bigger storage with faster speeds. Hopefully the prices will come down more.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Samsung Announces SpinPoint MP1 Series of 2.5"... Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I would say that 10x goal is for the long term.

I also assumed the 10x goal was long-term, however I'm still puzzled as to where the perpendicular technology is being used. I think we already had at least 100GB or 120GB drives before that technology, so why are they still making 80GB and 120GB drives?

Granted those are 7200RPM, but still, shouldn't perpendicular recording allow faster data throughput for the same RPM when compared to parallel recording? After all, they can read at least 2 times as much data since perpendicular recording means at least 2 bit of data where there only used to be 1 bit. It should, in theory, make a perpendicular drive as least as fast as an old 10800 RPM if it was 5400 RPM. So why are they trying to increase the RPM, those drive should in theory already be faster than 7200RPM parallel drives. Sorry if this is confusing. It's all theory anyway, I'm sure there's performance hits at some places, but I hope you get the idea. Wink

From my point of view, since perpendicular recording can't allow less than a 2x increase in capacity, shouldn't we be seeing 160GB or 200GB drives for the smallest models? Are they starting from 40GB drives or something? Where are the 240GB drives?

In the end I'm wondering if they're not simply using perpendicular recording to reduce the size/number of platters and get more profits.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The less platters, the less noise and heat. A while ago I decided for a Samsung Spinpoint P120, 3.5', 250 gb in my Mini Stack, which is just a bit less noisy than my 200 gb Barracuda and since I use it as bootdisk for my Powerbook which has a 4200 rpm disk which is horribly slow, it is not bad, but still to noisy in an closeby external case. If a new Core2Duo mini arrives and it still has a 60 gb SATA hd, I think one of the first things is, change it for this Spinpoint or maybe one of the Seagate Momentum's, which did a good job in my former mini, though was still to slow.
It only sucks that there is still no new mini and Leopard has been delayed until October...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: