123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fastmac offers Blu-ray upgrade for Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtychinchilla

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw something on the news which was a transparent disc that had 100 layers! Ridiculous!
FritzQ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyPod wrote:
I didn't know they burned at only 1X. That seems pretty slow, but for storing 50GB of data, I would be just fine with it. Once they become more popular, the write speeds and performance will increase.

Yeah, right now I'd be just impressed that I had a 50gb disc...
johnodd4

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather have hd-dvd.

Everytime they change java script. Which all blu-ray disks use. You have to upgrade the drive.

Look at the movie The descent.

It was released on blu-ray. And only 4 blu-ray player's could run it. And not even sony's own ps3 could run it. No thanks. I would rather have hd dvd where there is no java script.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnodd4 wrote:
I would rather have hd-dvd.

Everytime they change java script. Which all blu-ray disks use. You have to upgrade the drive.

Look at the movie The descent.

It was released on blu-ray. And only 4 blu-ray player's could run it. And not even sony's own ps3 could run it. No thanks. I would rather have hd dvd where there is no java script.

You're incorrect on that. HDDVD uses ECMAScript, which is Javascript. BluRay uses Java (BD-J) for some of its interactivity, along with other scripting languages. Java and Javascript, despite their names, are very different technologies.

It was the Java on BluRay, not the Javascript on HDDVD that caused problems with The Descent. You also got it wrong -- only the PS3 could play it (Source).
pmjoe

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyPod wrote:
I didn't know they burned at only 1X. That seems pretty slow, but for storing 50GB of data, I would be just fine with it. Once they become more popular, the write speeds and performance will increase.

You have to remember that 1x is relative to the type of drive (the streaming datarate of, in this case, HD video). The 1x datarate on a Blu-Ray disc is something like 36 Mbps, which is about 3x the datarate of a DVD drive (~11 Mbps) and something like 30x the datarate of a CD drive (~1.2 Mbps). Now, of course, compared to 16x DVD or 48x CD drives that are out there, yeah, it's a bit slow. But it's not as slow as "1x" sounds.
opnickc

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to disagree with most of you here and say I'm rooting for HD-DVD. Yeah, I know Blu-Ray is the one Apple is behind, but I'd rather go with HD-DVD (and I think most consumers will too).

1. The name makes a lot more sense. HD-DVD is something everybody instantly can recognize as a DVD for HD-TVs. Blu-Ray, on the other hand, reminds people of the thing that killed Steve Irwin (I'm not kidding).
2. The video quality is the same. Despite more storage space (for now, I heard something about a 51GB HD-DVD just to spite the 50GB Blu-Ray), most reviews of high definition films have said both formats produce the same excellent quality (some early ones were actually in HD-DVD's favor, since at the time Blu-Ray movies were using an older codec).
3. The price. As stated above, the quality is essentially the same. But HD-DVD players are cheaper than Blu-Ray players. Right now they're both priced outside the mass market, but chances are HD-DVD will hit that magical $200 spot first, and since Blu-Ray can't offer higher quality AND has a dumb name AND costs more, I doubt it'll have a chance.

Of course, this is all just speculation. What I want more than anything in this regard is for the war to be over, whether Blu-Ray or HD-DVD wins. Because it totally sucked having my mom ask me if HD-DVDs existed for her HDTV, and having to tell her there was a format war going on.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
TonyMontana wrote:
I thought this whole format war would drop the 8Gb DL disc. When does this happen??? Confused

Maybe never. It's possible that the Blu-Ray blanks will become more popular/cheaper and we will never see DL-DVD blanks at a dirt cheap (like 4.7 GB DVD blanks).

I'm still waiting until double/dual layer DVD recordable's will drop in price. Those are still to expensive and how long do we have double/dual layer writers? I own a fine Pioneer which is able to write double layer discs but only use it for single layer discs...
shorafix

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fastmac offers Blu-ray upgrade for Mac mini Reply with quote

admin wrote:
Fastmac offers Blu-ray upgrade for Mac mini
Native support for Blu-ray burning within iLife & iTunes is expected in the future via Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, but cannot be guaranteed at this time. Fastmac's Blu-Ray optical drive upgrade is scheduled to ship within 10 days and is priced at $799.95.

I was just told by an Apple Tech guy that FinalCut Studio 2 is not going to support Blu-ray. It's a shame that Apples top of the notch Video suite is capable of producing HD-DVD, while not supporting Blu-Ray. Mad
Jimbode

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked the FastMac web site and the price of the drive has gone up not down. It's now $899.95.
rosco

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyPod wrote:
I didn't know they burned at only 1X.

Does anyone here know how long it takes to burn 50gig on a drive like this?

Edit: 50gig, not 5gig... sheesh...

Last edited by rosco on Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
ranger1021

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checking around, and yes, the FastMac drive is still $899. However, other slot-loading drives are a little bit cheaper, and tray-based ones are about $500 or less.
opnickc wrote:

1. The name makes a lot more sense. HD-DVD is something everybody instantly can recognize as a DVD for HD-TVs. Blu-Ray, on the other hand, reminds people of the thing that killed Steve Irwin (I'm not kidding).
2. The video quality is the same. Despite more storage space (for now, I heard something about a 51GB HD-DVD just to spite the 50GB Blu-Ray), most reviews of high definition films have said both formats produce the same excellent quality (some early ones were actually in HD-DVD's favor, since at the time Blu-Ray movies were using an older codec).
3. The price. As stated above, the quality is essentially the same. But HD-DVD players are cheaper than Blu-Ray players. Right now they're both priced outside the mass market, but chances are HD-DVD will hit that magical $200 spot first, and since Blu-Ray can't offer higher quality AND has a dumb name AND costs more, I doubt it'll have a chance.

1. The name doesn't matter. It really has no effect on the selling of the product.
2. That depends. Linking with #3, with HD-DVD drives, the price determines the quality. The cheaper ones don't support 1080P and other higher-end features.
3. Blu-Ray is dropping fast. You can get a HD-DVD drive for about $300, but it isn't full-spec. A 1080P model will run you about $400, while all Blu-Ray drives play in 1080P, for about $100 more than the HD-DVD.
A new point: Blu-Ray has official game console backing. The Xbox does let you play HD-DVDs, but not with games and you have to buy a separate component that isn't full spec. Even so, it still costs the same a PS3 (which is full spec Blu-Ray) when you count the cost of the Xbox (it DOES cost money, for all of you saying "the cheapest HD-DVD player on the market if you own an Xbox 360"
And last but not least, the 51GB is with about 4 layers, vs. 2 with Blu-Ray.

Just my (admittedly biased) 2 cents.
zuzu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
I'm still waiting until double/dual layer DVD recordable's will drop in price. Those are still to expensive and how long do we have double/dual layer writers? I own a fine Pioneer which is able to write double layer discs but only use it for single layer discs...

I find the BluRay/HD-DVD debate moot compared to this and the price of HD media (~$30+ for films, ~$10+ per disc for recordable media). as JTK began to mention, DVD+R DL discs are still ~$2/disc rather than the <$0.50/disc for DVD-R. I too have had DL burners for about 3 years yet sparingly burn DL (only when something won't fit on single-layer, not because of convenience of space/disc).

what I want to highlight given that is this: on public bittorrent trackers, I've observed that HD-DVD and BluRay rips to MPEG-4 at either DVD-R (~4GB) or DVD+R DL (~8GB) file size of practically every film published in HD format thus far is available in that fashion. the publishing syndicates will never ever be able to catch with those releases; so they face losing on two fronts: 1.) is obviously distribution with the old media model, but 2.) is their pricing is still astronomically high for the current time-table. if they have any chance of competing with illegitimate online distribution, BluRay and HD-DVD need to be priced as DVDs are right now, and DVD pricing needs to drop to about 1/3 of current prices.

not to mention that hard drive manufacturers are making externals at about $150/500GB; that's $0.30/GB, and practically parity with the price point of a writable BluRay disc now. except that you get 10x more space per unit with a hard drive, and re-writability, and much much faster speed.

BluRay and HD-DVD formats need to be priced at $15/unit and recordable media need to be $1/disc not $10/disc, or they will be obsoleted by bittorrent and hard drives within 2 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: