123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Works
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dual G5 Fireman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: simple Reply with quote

That's a very good point. One of the things I've noticed about Apple is that they realized early on that simple does not equal weak. A lot of pc software companies seem to think that in order for something to be powerful, it has to be complex. I think OS X puts down this theory in a beautiful way. One of the things I always noticed about Windows was that they attempted this, but inevitably made things complex in the process.. I think Movie Maker is a great example of an awful attempt at simplicity. Not only is it too complicated for the average user, it is not powerful enough for the advanced user. Windows Update is another example. Why not build it into the OS as it's own app, like Apple? Instead, it's melded into IE, and not very well either. Ok. No more rant from me.
rosco

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Works Reply with quote

philpro68 wrote:

Cool, and that was my next question. Iwork includes Keynote right? Is it worth the purchase? I know nothing about these programs but am eager to learn. Thanks

I didn't like iWorks, Pages was nice but cost money, now I use NeoOffice - free and excelent MS Office compatability if you need to share files.
Dual G5 Fireman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice Reply with quote

NeoOffice is ok. It runs slow on my system for some reason. It also screams "port" all over it. The save dialog is a dead giveaway. I need to look at what it uses in terms of CPU time and RAM..
I still have to admit that nothing beats Word Mac 2004 for word processing..
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice Reply with quote

Dual G5 Fireman wrote:
NeoOffice is ok. It runs slow on my system for some reason. It also screams "port" all over it. The save dialog is a dead giveaway. I need to look at what it uses in terms of CPU time and RAM..
I still have to admit that nothing beats Word Mac 2004 for word processing..

I run NeoOffice and Word side-by-side on my mini and I do, more often than not, use Word over NeoOffice.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like iWork for Keynote 2. Not that I give that many presentations, but if I do, it is nice to show up with something other than plain old Powerpoint. Been there, done that.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:
I like iWork for Keynote 2. Not that I give that many presentations, but if I do, it is nice to show up with something other than plain old Powerpoint. Been there, done that.

I think it's more that people don't know how to make a good presentation with Powerpoint than the software is bland or anything. Powerpoints can look and do a ton of things so I don't see the actual software limiting anything. I see the users skill limiting things. Keynote just makes this process ridiculously easy in a very Apple way, especially since everything's different from Powerpoint to begin with, so making a "different" presentation is easy.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: