123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Video Card?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GN

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: New Video Card? Reply with quote

Would it be possible to install a better video card in the Mini? Say, a 64MB or 128Mb card. It may be possible to get such a video card from a laptop. Any ideas here? Confused
roblemmen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, as long as it aint TOO big, it should fit. But then I hope he will support it. Maybe they customised it that it only supports the GPU it has got now.

But there has to be an update within a few months, because the 9200 SE wont be produced much longer I heard.
GadZooks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New Video Card? Reply with quote

GN wrote:
Would it be possible to install a better video card in the Mini? Say, a 64MB or 128Mb card. It may be possible to get such a video card from a laptop. Any ideas here? Confused

No. The Mini doesn't have a graphics card. Its 9200 is soldered on
to the bottom of the motherboard. It also has no AGP or PCI slots
so there's no place to add another card.

Cheers,
GZ
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the Airport Extreme card plug into a Mini-PCI slot? If so, could that possibly be used to add a graphics card?
GadZooks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
Doesn't the Airport Extreme card plug into a Mini-PCI slot? If so, could that possibly be used to add a graphics card?

That's an interesting idea. I haven't used Airport so I hadn't really thought about it. The Airport/Bluetooth module is made for the Mini only and I wouldn't be surprised if the slot didn't function as a general purpose PCI slot. But, if it's just ordinary PCI then it's possible someone could make a video card in the right form for it.

On the downside it would be PCI video, too difficult for most folks to install themselves (requires fairly major surgery), and it might be expensive since it would probably have to be manufactured specifically for the Mini.

Never say never.

Cheers,
GZ
castaway

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt a mini PCI video card in the AE slot is even possible, but its an interesting idea none-the-less.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone wants to send me a video card, I'd be more than happy to test out this theory...Wink

I was reading about the Airport Express and the Mac Mini uses the standard one that goes into all Apple's products.
TheModWiki.org

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even if the said video card solution could connect the the mini PCI... PCI won't provide enough bandwidth for the type of video card performance we all want.... notice how current video cards are AGP and now PCI-Express... it's because they offer more bandwidth than the older Periphery Component Interconnect slot... the highest end solution on PCI can't be much more powerful than the current 9200?
Maxtor 300GB Ext. FW
Pioneer DVR-K05 SD

www.PaulStamatiou.com , 9rules Network
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheModWiki.org wrote:
even if the said video card solution could connect the the mini PCI... PCI won't provide enough bandwidth for the type of video card performance we all want.... notice how current video cards are AGP and now PCI-Express... it's because they offer more bandwidth than the older Periphery Component Interconnect slot... the highest end solution on PCI can't be much more powerful than the current 9200?

Notice how they still make 4x AGP video cards? 8x AGP bandwidth isn't fully realized, neight is PCIe. This is just like SATA and SATA-II; the bandwidth is there for potential future expandibility, not because it's needed now.

Frankly, the kind of performance we want, Radeon 9600/9650, would be easily attainable in miniPCI. They make Mobility x700 and I think x800. Sure they don't run as fast as the desktop versions, but they sure aren't totally limited by the PCI bandwidth.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
TheModWiki.org

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mobilities are pci-based?
Maxtor 300GB Ext. FW
Pioneer DVR-K05 SD

www.PaulStamatiou.com , 9rules Network
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good chunk of those mobile graphics are a miniPCI card. I think the miniPCI format is a good deal better than the desktop version; for one, it doesn't need to share bandwidth with many other devices, if there are any, because it's a laptop.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Dual G5 Fireman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: 8X AGP Reply with quote

I just put an ATI 9800 Pro Mac edition 256 mb video card into my Dual G5. Their documentation states that the card does utilize 8x technology - in fact, you can't put the card into a dual G4 for this reason. I was just playing Halo. Oh, sooooo sweeeet. I love it.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 8X AGP Reply with quote

Dual G5 Fireman wrote:
I just put an ATI 9800 Pro Mac edition 256 mb video card into my Dual G5. Their documentation states that the card does utilize 8x technology - in fact, you can't put the card into a dual G4 for this reason. I was just playing Halo. Oh, sooooo sweeeet. I love it.

But it wasn't a Mini....
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 8X AGP Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
Dual G5 Fireman wrote:

But it wasn't a Mini....

Ya think? Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dual G5 Fireman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: not a mini Reply with quote

ok, ok, its not a mini..But sometimes you just gotta show off yer wheels, know what I mean?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: