123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mac User- Mac Mini Help me Decide- PC User for 7 Years!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacGuy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homerjatmoes wrote:
I have a 1.42 mini with 1GB RAM and I run Photoshop CS2, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, and Firefox at the same time without a problem.

If you are just creating web graphics it shouldn't be any problem, if you are doing any high end graphics for print I don't know how well it would perform but I can check when I get home

That Sounds Great! Please check for me if you don't mine and update me on it... Smile
MacGuy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackjaw wrote:
i just switched over last saturday after being a PC user for probably 16-17 years and i have to say i love my mac

i use photoshop cs2 without a hitch (getting a new wacom tablet sometime soon) and i love the fact that my mac mini came with OSX and other tools like ilife (itunes and iphoto are nice), works (who can live without word processing or excel) and quicken 2005 (keep my finances in order)...also widgets are pretty rad....plus i must say that ichat is probably my favorite IM program ive used over the past few years

all in all, i lvoe my 1.42 w/ 1gig memory, it runs everything perfectly and i havent had a problem yet

edit- if my old 1.2 ghz pentium with 256mb ram could run photoshop, dreamweaver, quensential music player, AIM, and all my firewall/virus/spyware shiz at the same time without crashing, i think my mac mini can as well....i just dont have dreamweaver on here right now to test it, but i seriously doubt it would have a problem

What is OSX... Sorry to sound lost or uninformed but is this the operating system? If so what is the most up to date OS there is, so when I get my Mac Mini, I'll make sure is in it. Rolling Eyes

Thanks all for the reply's and patients.....
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works fine a little sluggish if you throw iTunes into the picture. I think if you are going to do Large files like th one I was working with (8000px x 2600 px 60MB in photoshop 8Mb on disk) You'll want to use Photoshop by it's self. Doing smaller web graphics for use with Dreamweaver is no problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGuy wrote:
What is OSX... Sorry to sound lost or uninformed but is this the operating system? If so what is the most up to date OS there is, so when I get my Mac Mini, I'll make sure is in it.

OS X is the Mac operating system pronounced OS ten 10.4.2 (Tiger) is the latest version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MacGuy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mac User- Mac Mini Help me Decide- PC User for 7 Yea Reply with quote

homerjatmoes wrote:
MacGuy wrote:
Is Mac Mini more stable than PC XP. XP always locks up and freezes.

PC lock ups happen due to poorly coded programs (read spyware/adware) and cheap parts (power supplies being the main culprit).

With a Mac there currently is little to no problems with spyware/adware and the quality of the parts used is controled better. XP on a well built and protected machine will run stable. So yes, if you want to just turn on a computer and run you are better off with a Mac.

This is why I hope that the Intel version of OS X will never run on a "beige box" PC's, the main hardware needs to be controlled so it doesn't get the stigma Windows has.

Nice.... Wink
MacGuy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homerjatmoes wrote:
MacGuy wrote:
What is OSX... Sorry to sound lost or uninformed but is this the operating system? If so what is the most up to date OS there is, so when I get my Mac Mini, I'll make sure is in it.

OS X is the Mac operating system pronounced OS ten 10.4.2 (Tiger) is the latest version.

Ok Cool.... You guy's are probubly like wow this guy is dumb or what LOL. Shocked

Guess thats what a PC does to one after so many years. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by MacGuy on Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dual G5 Fireman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: what is OS X Reply with quote

Welcome to Mac. OS X stands for Operating System 10, the 10th iteration of the Macintosh operating system. OS X has gone through 5 main versions:
OS 10.0 was nicknamed Cheetah and was basically a developer's release, more of a curiosity to the average user, since there was no software for it at that time.
OS 10.1 was nicknamed Puma and was a big leap forward. Microsoft's Office for Mac OS X came out around this time, so people actually started using it. However, it was a bit slow, and software was still pretty limited.
OS 10.2 was nicknamed Jaguar, and this was the first really stable and reasonably fast release of the OS. Software for it became much more available around this time. I switched to OS X completely from OS 9 when Jaguar came out.
OS 10.3 was nicknamed Panther and added more speed and compatibility with devices. It also added a feature called Expose, a cool desktop and window management feature.
OS 10.4 is called Tiger, and it is the current release of the OS. Tiger adds Spotlight, a great search tool, and Dashboard, a widget management tool, among other cool features. I like this OS, but I'm not as excited about it as I was back when Jaguar came out.
So that's your Apple history lesson. You get a gold star.
MacGuy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: what is OS X Reply with quote

Dual G5 Fireman wrote:
Welcome to Mac. OS X stands for Operating System 10, the 10th iteration of the Macintosh operating system. OS X has gone through 5 main versions:
OS 10.0 was nicknamed Cheetah and was basically a developer's release, more of a curiosity to the average user, since there was no software for it at that time.
OS 10.1 was nicknamed Puma and was a big leap forward. Microsoft's Office for Mac OS X came out around this time, so people actually started using it. However, it was a bit slow, and software was still pretty limited.
OS 10.2 was nicknamed Jaguar, and this was the first really stable and reasonably fast release of the OS. Software for it became much more available around this time. I switched to OS X completely from OS 9 when Jaguar came out.
OS 10.3 was nicknamed Panther and added more speed and compatibility with devices. It also added a feature called Expose, a cool desktop and window management feature.
OS 10.4 is called Tiger, and it is the current release of the OS. Tiger adds Spotlight, a great search tool, and Dashboard, a widget management tool, among other cool features. I like this OS, but I'm not as excited about it as I was back when Jaguar came out.
So that's your Apple history lesson. You get a gold star.

Thanks... All of you guy's are Wonderful!!!!!!!! Cool

LOL PC Forum are not this friendly LOL.... Do you guy notice this as well? Wink
MacGuy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you guy's don't make fun of this question LOL, but I have read alot about the problem with the Mac Mini and VGA monitors look dark?

Is this accurate? Rolling Eyes

I have a 8 month old eMachine CRT Flat Monitor. Not LCD. Will this work good? I don't want to get doomed with darkness. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by MacGuy on Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dual G5 Fireman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: peecee users Reply with quote

The users of PC forums are just angry and bitter 'cause they have to deal with Microcrap. All I know is, I've gotten tons of abuse heaped on me in past years for being a Mac user in a PC world. Now many of the abusers are switching, coming to communities like this with their hats in their hands, humbled.. I keep wondering, what took you guys so long? Hee hee Very Happy
WC3_Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a PC user right now, a mini-switcher soon-to-be, but I'm switching just because I would like to try a mac, though fighting spyware is a major pain, IT CAN BE DONE! but eh, i'd rather spend my time on the computer actually doing things i ENJOY, not getting rid of offensive popups and trash of free things! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Dual G5 Fireman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: dark CRT's Reply with quote

I am not actually a Mac Mini owner, though I've set up a few for clients. I've never seen it personally, but I've seen articles about it on the Apple website. Go here to read about it:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301055
I also might add that Apple's discussions will be more helpful than these, as they deal with a bigger user base and a lot of different experiences with hardware and software.
Here is the link to Apple's main discussion board about Mac Minis:
http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@754.faCRaCPxTpy.0@macmini
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homerjatmoes wrote:
MacGuy wrote:

I differ. I say pronounce it OS X not OS Ten, and so does everyone I know, but this is personal preference I guess.

Dual G5 Fireman wrote:
The users of PC forums are just angry and bitter 'cause they have to deal with Microcrap

Do we really need to go here? I haven't really had that big of a problem with XP, but of course, I'm pretty literate with computers. Microsoft does a lot of things reasonably well, the problem is that people are changing what reasonable is in part due to Apple and the branding of their products and also that Microsoft does too many things so they can't be the best at anything.

Also, where do you guys get all of this spyware? The only "spyware" I get are tracker cookies and 1-pixel images. I don't get virii either. I don't run anti-spyware apps on my computer and only have virus scan on my computer because it was preinstalled.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
MacGuy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WC3_Gamer wrote:
I'm a PC user right now, a mini-switcher soon-to-be, but I'm switching just because I would like to try a mac, though fighting spyware is a major pain, IT CAN BE DONE! but eh, i'd rather spend my time on the computer actually doing things i ENJOY, not getting rid of offensive popups and trash of free things! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Me TO.....
andp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one pixel image is the biggest source of spam on the internet. It tells the evil-doers....we got a live one! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: