123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple TV reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Apple TV reviews Reply with quote

New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/22/technology/22pogue.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

WSJ - Walt Mossberg: http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB117443716237743525-AC8bUe8X978hZmC7A85mAccsld8_20080320.html

PC Mag: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2104968,00.asp

Post links to any other reviews you find out there.

Not a review, but some pictures of the interface...
Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/22/apple-tv-the-mother-of-all-interface-galleries/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TechRestore's dissection of the AppleTV: http://techrestore.com/appletv/
DCGuy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see moding thing thing already.
Hard drive is gonna be the first thing....
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to see reviews from people who are actually using the product.
The TV has been criticized over and over again by people who haven't even seen the product. While it may not for everyone today, Apple is skating to where the puck is going to be, not where it's at.

I remember working in retail and having people criticize Apple for excluding the floppy drive from their systems. Rolling Eyes Smile
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I remember working in retail and having people criticize Apple for excluding the floppy drive from their systems. Rolling Eyes Smile

Or getting rid of finicky serial ports and replacing them with USB ports.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse my frustration but...

I'm getting a little angry about people complaining. Not just on this forum but all over the net. You'd think I'd be used to it by now Rolling Eyes

TV seems like a great product to me. People complained about MP3 quality. The amount of time if took to rip a CD. The space taken up on a hard drive etc. While all legitimate complaints the consumer has the choice on how they want to purchase, view and store content.

I never buy CD's any longer. All my content is on my hard drive and my iPod. I'm very content. All the issues that were initially issues are no longer. iTunes has a great selection, broadband has dealt with delivery times, AAC sounds much better than MP3 and storage space has become quite affordable.

There are obviously things about TV's future that we don't know about. The USB port, DRM issues, HD content etc.

If this product doesn't appeal to you you have a choice. Good old DVD's, cable/satellite TV, CD's etc. but to poop on a product/technology before the thing has even been given a chance to prove itself is silly. If you're happy where you are at then you should stay there. Many people are still very happy with vinyl. All the power to them.

Here a link to a funny David Pogue video re TV.

BTW option-shift-k to make the  Cool
RickB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCGuy wrote:
I can see moding thing thing already.
Hard drive is gonna be the first thing....

It looks super easy to get to in those TechRestore pictures. I wonder how/if you could clone the drive though? I guess you would need a portable 2.5" enclosure or one of those universal drive adapters to start with.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Excuse my frustration but...

I'm getting a little angry about people complaining. Not just on this forum but all over the net. You'd think I'd be used to it by now Rolling Eyes

TV seems like a great product to me. People complained about MP3 quality. The amount of time if took to rip a CD. The space taken up on a hard drive etc. While all legitimate complaints the consumer has the choice on how they want to purchase, view and store content.

I agree. I think most people are more frustrated with the price of the Apple TV than the device itself. If this thing cost $100-$150 less, I don't think you would see as much complaining or bashing. I like mine so far. It's just a simple and affective device that let's me move my content from point A to point B. That is all that I really wanted. There also seems to be this new hatred for Apple products swelling up with the Windows crowd. I guess Vista (XP Millennium Edition) set that one off. Poor guys!
Laughing
iLife's a Bitch!
DCGuy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooo, any china-made clones of Apple TV yet? Twisted Evil
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to bash the Apple TV. It is what it is. I'm just sorry that caught those Target and CompUSA ads in the paper the other week listing the Apple TV for $249. That along with the delays prompted me to canceled my order Apple. I regret that now because I would've had something to play around with over the next few days.
smiesguy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can just figure out how to get music videos and movies to appear in letterbox vs the wierd zoomed in resolution that Apple TV is currently giving me, I'd be totally satisfied with the device.

Any Ideas?
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smiesguy wrote:
If I can just figure out how to get music videos and movies to appear in letterbox vs the wierd zoomed in resolution that Apple TV is currently giving me, I'd be totally satisfied with the device.

Any Ideas?

What resolution are you using in the settings? You can adjust it in Settings > TV Resolution. It's hard telling, but you might try another. You should also know that Apple TV isn't going to stretch something that was ripped or formatted for 4:3 to 16:9. You will need to use your TV's wide or format function to stretch and zoom.
iLife's a Bitch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: