123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10.4.2 Gone Bad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjamini

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: 10.4.2 Gone Bad Reply with quote

I got 10.4.2 last night and now my widgets are not loading. Some times it takes a few seconds for them to load but now, with the 10.4.2 it just hangs there. No weather, no calendar, no Stargate SG1 countdown.

Anyone else having this issue.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 10.4.2 Gone Bad Reply with quote

ninjamini wrote:
I got 10.4.2 last night and now my widgets are not loading. Some times it takes a few seconds for them to load but now, with the 10.4.2 it just hangs there. No weather, no calendar, no Stargate SG1 countdown.

Anyone else having this issue.

Have you tried downloading new ones and trying to use them?
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
aplowe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Software Update worked flawlessly updating my machines to 10.4.2, so this isn't a general problem.

Any of the following actions may help to resolve this:

1. Installing the 10.4.2 combo update over the top of your existing installation. Historically this tactic has often resolved wierd bugs and, since it's relatively hassle-free when you have a decent internet connection, it's always worth a go.

Download the 58MB beasty from here and install the package:
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosxupdate1042combo.html

2. As Susurrus suggests, check whether new versions of your third-party widgets are available and replace any outdated ones.

3. If widget manager isn't working, manually move all the third-party widgets out of the way (drop them on the desktop) and restart to disable them. If it works with just the default ones add them back one at a time to determine which caused the problem and report it here (and anywhere else you think the information will prove useful).

The widgets to temporarily move out of the way should be in:
~/Library/Widgets

It may be possible that some installers put widgets alongside the Apple ones in:
/Library/Widgets

4. Disk utility, you can 'Repair disk permissions' of the system disk, which occasionally helps. I haven't bothered since 10.1, but you should be able to use disk utility to run 'Repair disk' on the system disk if you boot from the Tiger DVD (see the 'Try Disk Utility' section on the following page http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214 )

Good luck,

Adam
WC3_Gamer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i heard that gamers got an increase in framerates, from 26 now up to 32 for most 3d games, I'm excited about this, ahh, just a little more $ and i can get my mini, me want now!
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WC3_Gamer wrote:
i heard that gamers got an increase in framerates, from 26 now up to 32 for most 3d games, I'm excited about this, ahh, just a little more $ and i can get my mini, me want now!

Can any Mini gamers here confirm this? It'd be nice to something that speeds up a Mini, especially in an area where the Mini performs poorly.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
charleslaigo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: C & C: Zero Hour Reply with quote

Installed 10.4.2 last night then played C & C: Zero Hour.

There WAS a noticeable increase in game speed as compared to 10.4.1

Sorry, wasn't able to check the frame rates and what-not, however, the increase was quite noticeable.

Has 10.4.2 improved my gaming experience? It sure has as far as playing C & C is concerned. Very Happy
WC3_Gamer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if you do some tests, then well have legit proof of what its like after install of 10.4.2, but idk how to confirm it b4, and i still don't even have mine yet, jeeze, i needddd it now
Dual G5 Fireman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: updates, etc. Reply with quote

Look folks, I hate to dampen the XBench / framerate numbers parade, but numbers are totally subjective based on what you have plugged in, what software you have installed, etc. Macs have always been that way. Users have a variety of experiences with any one update; one will have no problems at all, or a perceived speed boost, while another with the same on - paper setup will have nothing but slowness and pain. I'll give you an example: xbench scored my newest box at 398 and my second newest (.7 less ghz) at 410. So what do those scores mean to me? Nothing. Secondly, I would advise everyone reading (as I do all my clients) to wait a week after a software update comes out and watch the Apple discussion boards for any complaints and advice. Switchers have probably been trained by Gates' et al to have a Pavlovian response to any updates. Trust me, updates rarely fix any particular issues you are having, although they can improve functionality and stability over all. Bottom line is, they can wait a week.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: updates, etc. Reply with quote

Dual G5 Fireman wrote:
Look folks, I hate to dampen the XBench / framerate numbers parade, but numbers are totally subjective based on what you have plugged in, what software you have installed, etc. Macs have always been that way. Users have a variety of experiences with any one update; one will have no problems at all, or a perceived speed boost, while another with the same on - paper setup will have nothing but slowness and pain. I'll give you an example: xbench scored my newest box at 398 and my second newest (.7 less ghz) at 410. So what do those scores mean to me? Nothing. Secondly, I would advise everyone reading (as I do all my clients) to wait a week after a software update comes out and watch the Apple discussion boards for any complaints and advice. Switchers have probably been trained by Gates' et al to have a Pavlovian response to any updates. Trust me, updates rarely fix any particular issues you are having, although they can improve functionality and stability over all. Bottom line is, they can wait a week.

The whole point of benchmarks is that they're based on what you're running on your computer; of course the different software and hardware will change it.

Basically, I see that you're arguing against looking at the total XBench score, which is why I want a before and after so that we can see a person's increase in performance through a single upgrade, from the 10.4.2 patch. The individual components of XBench are the most important part of it, because of exactly your example, a slower computer can perform better in XBench if they have a much better hard drive or graphics card.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
andp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: updates, etc. Reply with quote

Dual G5 Fireman wrote:

Agreed, Xbench scores can be affected by what software is running. XBench will never be good for comparing your score to another persons. I like the fact that people are reporting improved scores with 10.4.2!

I never jump on an update the first day. This is not smart idea no matter what OS you are running. I always give it a few days and let everyone else be the test monkeys. I got burnt once.... never again!
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: updates, etc. Reply with quote

andp wrote:
Dual G5 Fireman wrote:

Agreed, Xbench scores can be affected by what software is running. XBench will never be good for comparing your score to another persons. I like the fact that people are reporting improved scores with 10.4.2!

I never jump on an update the first day. This is not smart idea no matter what OS you are running. I always give it a few days and let everyone else be the test monkeys. I got burnt once.... never again!

Why is there so much focus on the variability of XBench scores between hardware and software? If the scores didn't vary, they wouldn't benchmark anything. To use benchmarks effectively you must understand the benchmark as well as the machines the benchmark is run on. If the benchmark is run on two completely different computers and is a fully-system bench (like XBench) then of course one will feel faster or slower than the other even though they have similar scores because they have so many different parts.

Benchmarks are made to be run with as little variation as possible, like a science experiement, if you want to find out the difference in performance a single part will make. To determine if an entire system is faster than another one is much harder, especially given how XBench weighs the results.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: