123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.4.9 and iPhoto 6.0.6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always run the combo update from Apple. The last delta update for 10.4.8 gave people minor problems fixable by the combo. Also I always wait a few days to see what issues arise before I update.
myminirocks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I always give it a week or so and surf the forums.

Hey how are people updating multiple macs? I have a G5 iMac and an intel mini, I don't really want to keep using twice the D/L for every update?

Can't wait for 10.5, I get a new macbook when 10.5 comes out, wooohooo!!! Very Happy
Elgato EyeTV Diversity
16G iPhone 3G
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

myminirocks wrote:
Hey how are people updating multiple macs? I have a G5 iMac and an intel mini, I don't really want to keep using twice the D/L for every update?

If you had all Intel or all PowerPC Macs, then you could just manually download them off Apple's site, or use Software Update to only download them, and not install. Then you just copy the package to each Mac and install.

However, since you have one of each, you'll need to download them separately.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FishKepr wrote:
After the update, Energy Saver no longer recognizes my APC UPS. Confused
It shows up in the System Profiler so I don't think it's USB related.

That's strange. I didn't have any trouble with my little APC Back-UPS after the update. Is your UPS connected to a USB hub or directly to the Mac mini? I have mine going straight into the Mac mini.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you tell if Energy Saver recognizes your UPS? I've got one, and I can't seem to find it either.
FishKepr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Is your UPS connected to a USB hub or directly to the Mac mini? I have mine going straight into the Mac mini.

Mine is connected through a NewerTech MiniStack, which is also plugged into the UPS.
Running the combo update took care of the issue, but I have no idea if connecting through a hub contributed to the problem.

TyPod wrote:
How can you tell if Energy Saver recognizes your UPS? I've got one, and I can't seem to find it either.

Open Energy Saver. If there is a pulldown at the top with a 'UPS' option, select it and click on the UPS tab in the center. If not, Energy saver does not recognize your UPS. Energy Saver does not support all brands of UPS devices, but it does support APC UPSs.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FishKepr wrote:
Open Energy Saver. If there is a pulldown at the top with a 'UPS' option, select it and click on the UPS tab in the center. If not, Energy saver does not recognize your UPS. Energy Saver does not support all brands of UPS devices, but it does support APC UPSs.

I don't have a pulldown anywhere in energy saving mode. My UPS is connected directly to the Mac mini, without going through any external hard drives, hubs, etc. I do indeed have an APC UPS, and yet Apple still doesn't recognise the UPS. It's not a big deal, but I just want to know if it will still work if the engergy saver doesn't exactly recognise it.
FishKepr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you installed APC PowerChute, that should work and give you control over the UPS related parameters. Energy Saver does not offer any real advantages that PowerChute does, but it's already part of the OS and the panel looks a bit cooler. Cool

TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. So I have to install the software that came with my UPS in order for it to work properly and show up in energy saver?
FishKepr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyPod wrote:
Thanks for the info. So I have to install the software that came with my UPS in order for it to work properly and show up in energy saver?

We're getting off topic here, so I hope this will be sufficient.

If you install APC PowerChute, the UPS parameters show up in a separate PowerChute System Preferences panel. It does not effect what shows up on the OSX built in Energy Saver panel. You do not have to install it if Energy Saver recognizes your UPS. In your case it appears that it does not for some reason. Try running the 10.4.9 combo installer if have not done so already.

UPS parameters mostly control under what circumstances the computer will shut down in the event of a power failure.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks FishKepr, I got it working now. I found out that the USB adapter got unplugged from my Mac mini, and that's why the UPS wouldn't be detected after I got done installing the software. Thanks for your time, and i'm sorry for going off topic people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: