123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gaming on a Mini..?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediTimmy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e3mw wrote:
I'm eager to find out if Call of Duty works well enough on the mini to play regularly.... anyone know?

judging by the system requirements of Call of Duty (Mac OS X:10.2.8,
CPU:G4@867MHz, RAM:256MB, 32MB VRAM) it should play no problem. but it may be best to download a demo just to make sure. OS, CPU and RAM are all good with the mini just the VRAM that is at minimum.

thnx, Timmy.
hkan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm playing Call of Duty just fine on my 1.42 mini (with 1 gb ram) and the graphics are nice and smooth. Even runs better than The Sims 2. Smile

Don't forget to patch it to version 1.5 though! Think the file is available on www.macgamefiles.com.

/HÃ¥kan
FireDawg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st day behind my mini. Tried WC3:TFT today (1.25ghz, 256mb ram). And its not playable Smile Gonna go get 1gb ram tomorrow. Hope it will run better.
FireDawg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got 1gb ram now, wc3 runs smooth at 800x600 =)
zee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just tried c&c generals
it runs pretty fast (800x600 low)on my 1.42/512
still playable with hard 2 opponents
in resolution 1024x768med runs very well too, but may unexpectedly crash

sorry for my english

ps. there is no sound in game only music
xyzzy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done some gaming on my Mini and a 20" 2 Ghz G5 iMac. It's not too bad with older games, but any newer FPS games or ones that require decent horsepower just don't work too well. You can try turning down graphics options & details, but it just makes most of them look pretty bad.

For example, I've tried playing America's Army on our 2Ghz G5 iMac (and also the mini). I had to turn all of the settings down to ultra low and turn off any other 3D "frills" just to get above 10 FPS (still dropped below 10 in firefights). The result is an image so poor it looks like a bad VHS copy of an amateur cartoon. Laughing

The result is that I keep a PC for gaming. By contrast I can maintain 60 FPS or better and have all settings at their maximum. The game designers are coming up with some amazingly detailed graphics these days and I'm simply not willing to give up viewing them.

That said, the Mini is a great little system and if you just need to get a "gaming fix" from time to time, there is definitely some fun to be had.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: