123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boot up password and VPC Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmativeSound

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Boot up password and VPC Question Reply with quote

Still saving up for my mac...

I've got another question or two in the meantime.

The main reason this Windows computer I am working on now is in such rough shape is because of my father. He's one of those guys that thinks he needs to tinker with everything and it usually just ends up messing everthing up. Sad as it sounds, I don't trust him too much and think he's going to mess with my new computer when I'm not around.

Does Tiger allow me to require a password on bootup? On my Windows machine I had this but if you clicked cancel it went to some basic account or something and that's how he got in. It's not anything like that is it?

Another concern of mine is about my work. Currently I work for a used car lot where I take pictures of all the cars on the lot once a week and post them on the web site. I use some Homestead Quicksite Builder thing that the guy paid for last year. It is not compatible with macs. The thing seems a little memory intensive but I only am using 128MB of ram and I have no video card on my current machine. It's a lot like geocities but better. Would it be possible to run it on VPC?

Phew. Haha. I think that's it for now. Thanks once again everyone.

Can't wait for July
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Boot up password and VPC Question Reply with quote

AmativeSound wrote:

Does Tiger allow me to require a password on bootup? On my Windows machine I had this but if you clicked cancel it went to some basic account or something and that's how he got in. It's not anything like that is it?

Yes you can have a password on bootup. System Preferences> Security > Disable Automatic Login.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the software, it will most likely be possible to use it with Virtual PC, but if you get a mac, whatever kind, upgrade the RAM to at least 512, preferably a gig. Also, that program is going to run incredibly slow on the Mac; just a warning.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Dual G5 Fireman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Macromedia Contribute Reply with quote

Bail on VPC. It runs slow even on my Dual G5. Grab Macromedia Contribute to update your website. I've taught Grandmas how to use it in like 15 minutes. They have an OS X version that works great. http://www.macromedia.com/software/contribute/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: