123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fujitsu Intros New Series of 7200 RPM 2.5" Hard Drives
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
The only "real value" is in their size, acoustics and power consumption. The latter doesn't really matter with the Mac mini, seeing that it's a desktop computer. As for $/GB. I really think there is a chance that one day 2.5" drives will catch up, especially if the laptop market continues to outpace the desktop market. I was able to buy my 160GB for just over $100 a couple of weeks ago. I would not have imagined that 6-9 months ago.

Compared to externals and other internal drives, the advantage like Ben_Tex said is the size and power consumption. For the value, a 3.5" 7200 RPM drive is the way to go. Each have certain advantages, If you really constricted on desk space, internal components would be the best option. If your like me, and have room to spare, I think external accesories are the way to go. I think just over $100 is a pretty solid price for a internal 160 GB drive. We will see the prices decrease as time passes, and hopefully they will become more affordable to consumers like us.
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5, I had my local component supplier go to Seagate to find out about the Momentus 7200.2. They came back with nothing, so, I guess, either all production has been swallowed up by the OEM computer/laptop manufacturers or its not ready yet.

ben_tex, where was that price.

I can see its going to be necessary to get my next Mini from the US. I'm paying the equivalent of $240.00 for memory and $160 for hard disk. Sad
johnodd4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: finally Reply with quote

we get a hard drive larger then 120 gigs

im sold im currently on two 250 gig externals and still run out of space
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris..S wrote:
ben_tex, where was that price.

I bought it here.

http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA3494612
alucard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: 7200 rpm heat issues Reply with quote

How is the heat issue with a 7200 rpm drive in a Mini? I found a 100 gig Seagate Momentus 7200.1 on Newegg for $119 bucks. Great price, but there was a comment about how someone's laptop now gets really hot. That worries me in the small confines of the Mini.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822146226
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: 7200 rpm heat issues Reply with quote

alucard wrote:
How is the heat issue with a 7200 rpm drive in a Mini? I found a 100 gig Seagate Momentus 7200.1 on Newegg for $119 bucks. Great price, but there was a comment about how someone's laptop now gets really hot. That worries me in the small confines of the Mini.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822146226

I installed that exact drive and a Core 2 Duo chip in my Mac mini a few months ago. Fan activity and temps (for drive and processor) have stayed within normal ranges. Therefore, I'm not worried at all. There are a lot people with this drive in their MacBook and it's much tighter in there. Go for it!
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engadget wrote:
While we were all prepared to wait for Fujitsu's May release of its MHW2 BJ series, Seagate decided to swoop in for the kill with the Momentus 7200.2. It's already shipping this comprable 2.5-inch laptop HDD with a 3 Gbps SATA interface (doubled from 1.5 Gbps in the last version). The new Momentus spins itself silly at 7,200 rpm, sports perpendicular recording technology, and is available in 80GB, 100GB, 120GB, and 160GB capacities. So if you're itching for a bite-size speed demon HDD for your laptop, your wait is over -- unless you're a Fujitsu snob, in which case you'll have to sit tight for a couple more months.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Engadget wrote:
While we were all prepared to wait for Fujitsu's May release of its MHW2 BJ series, Seagate decided to swoop in for the kill with the Momentus 7200.2. It's already shipping this comprable 2.5-inch laptop HDD with a 3 Gbps SATA interface (doubled from 1.5 Gbps in the last version). The new Momentus spins itself silly at 7,200 rpm, sports perpendicular recording technology, and is available in 80GB, 100GB, 120GB, and 160GB capacities. So if you're itching for a bite-size speed demon HDD for your laptop, your wait is over -- unless you're a Fujitsu snob, in which case you'll have to sit tight for a couple more months.

That is good news! I bet they are going to the computer manufactures first because I don't see anyone selling them. I'm still anxious to see what the 160GB model will cost for comparison.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: