123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LaCie Unveils Drive for Mac Mini [Updated]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M2inOR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: RE; Case-only LaCie Reply with quote

Sorry, but there are no plans to release a case-only product. This is an area that LaCie has chosen not to participate in.
We live in interesting times
------------------------------------
anthonymoody

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a 160 gig version from the Apple store. I plan to use it as my boot volume since it's supposed to run silent. I will use my 400gig ministack as my scratch drive for video editing, and the internal drive in the mini purely for backup. I think with the mini, the lacie, and the ministack stacked together I'll have something about the size of the Cube Smile

TM
geegee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthonymoody wrote:
I just ordered a 160 gig version from the Apple store. I plan to use it as my boot volume since it's supposed to run silent. I will use my 400gig ministack as my scratch drive for video editing, and the internal drive in the mini purely for backup. I think with the mini, the lacie, and the ministack stacked together I'll have something about the size of the Cube Smile

TM

The good news: The LaCie mini drive stays cool. Very Happy

The bad news: You're going to be disappointed with the LaCie mini drive if you want a "silent" drive. The drive makes a good bit of noise, even without internal fans. I'm sending mine back to Apple. Sad

Smalldog.com is my favorite Apple Store!
Priller

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the LaCie mini does have more noise than expected. I had intended to use it as my boot drive, but the low buzz and head noise didn't cut it. It's fine for my backup drive and I let it sleep during the day.

Given that the benchmark is the ultra-stealth mini internal, that's a tough one to beat. ANY noise from the LaCie constitutes "noisy". This is probably just due to more RPM's; 7200 vs 4500 for the internal.

Still a nice product that I would recommend.
anthonymoody

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the color guys. Maybe the buzz in the ministack will drown out the Lacie Very Happy

I agree the problem is that APple did such a ridiculously great job in designing the mini. It's crazy quiet!

Anyway, I need more storage, and love the speed of booting from a FAST drive so I think I'll have to suck up the noise javascript:emoticon('Sad')

TM Sad
geegee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that little guy is holding his ears! Laughing

Smalldog.com is my favorite Apple Store!
dynamic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but is the lacie mini pretty much as quiet as it gets if you are going to get a 250gb external hd and a mini clone at that?

and if you boot of an external drive do you just have to turn on the computer and it and the hd take care of the rest or do you turn both on?
resuna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Lacie Porsche-design drive is pretty quiet, but it's an older 120GB model, possibly not as fast as the 250GB you're comparing it to...
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think it is possible to use some sort of acoustic sound dampening product inside the LaCie case to make it almost silent? I would imagine there would be room to do so without heat issues.

I haven't seen the inside of the case so I'm just throwing out a thought.
resuna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Do you think it is possible to use some sort of acoustic sound dampening product inside the LaCie case to make it almost silent? I would imagine there would be room to do so without heat issues.

The problem I see is that almost anything that's a good conductor of heat is also a good conductor of sound. Anything that's an insulator for sound insulates heat as well. Unless they have the drive shock-mounted and physically, with all cooling by the fans, you can't get it both quiet and cool... and then you get fan noise to deal with. Smile
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LaCie doesn't use a fan. I was thinking of something more like little strips on the inside. It would dampen the echo (if you will). Imagine the acoustic partition things that hang from the ceilings in large rooms to kill the boomy sound.
resuna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
The LaCie doesn't use a fan.

Then it's dissipating heat by conduction through the casing, and so the drive is rigidly mounted to the case, and the noise will get out the same way. You might be able to play with weights to change the resonant frequency of the case, but you can't do anything about the non-resonant noise.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
you can't do anything about the non-resonant noise.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

I have a strange suspicion that given enough time, effort and money this drive can become quieter.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would there be enough room to install some high density foam for damping the sound?
M2inOR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone else has noted, placing foam or some other isolation material within the casing will negatively affect the cooling.

2.5" drives are quiter than 3.5" drives. It will be tough to eliminate noise from seeking heads and a spinning drive in such a small casing.

If you don't need the booting capability of an external drive, and you don't need the fast thruput of a locally connected drive, get a Network Drive (Yeah, LaCie offers those, too - See Ethernet Disk Mini.

You can place the drive in a closet or some other remote location, and access the drive over the network. Add a wireless bridge from Netgear, Linksys, or D-Link, and you won't even need to run wires.
We live in interesting times
------------------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: