123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bluetooth disappeared on 1st gen mini!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leelovesbikestoo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: bluetooth disappeared on 1st gen mini! Reply with quote

hi all, first post here!

i have a 1st gen mini (1.4ghz 80gb ppc, 2 usb ports, purchased sometime in '05...) with built-in airport and bluetooth modules.

i use the airport for a wireless internet connection and it has worked flawlessly since day 1. bluetooth worked shortly after i got it when used with a friend's phone, but although i didn't have a bt phone never needed to use it. now i do have a bt phone i'm wanting to sync etc and the bluetooth has gone awol!

the bt symbol in the menu bar has the infamous squiggly line through it, system profiler says it's not installed, but i know it is!

i have tried resetting the smu by simply unplugging and plugging in the power supply (please correct me if this isn't the correct procedure for this type of mini... is there a button inside the machine?) but nothing will ressurect bt.

some people report that bt comes and goes... but mine hasn't come back since using it with a friend's phone.

i have posted on the apple's mini board but there's nothing there.

help eternally appreciated!

lee
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: bluetooth disappeared on 1st gen mini! Reply with quote

leelovesbikestoo wrote:

i have tried resetting the smu by simply unplugging and plugging in the power supply (please correct me if this isn't the correct procedure for this type of mini... is there a button inside the machine?) but nothing will ressurect bt.

You should unplug everything from your Mac mini. That includes USB (bluetooth is actually on the USB bus), Firewire, display, power adapter and so on. Let your Mac mini sit for like 30 seconds. Then plug the power adapter back into the Mac mini while holding down the power button on the back of your Mac mini. Let go of the button. Now you are ready to restart by pressing the button again. This is the correct procedure for resetting the PMU on a G4 Mac mini.
leelovesbikestoo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for confirming the correct procedure ogn.

i've seen this action documented on the apple knowledgebase but i thought it was for the 2nd gen minis.

am i correct in thinking this will also reset the pram?

do you think doing this will fix my bluetooth problem? (i don't want to zap the pram if i don't need to!)

lee
leelovesbikestoo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried resetting the pmu the way ogn described but it hasn't solved my missing bluetooth problem. (neither did it reset my pram, if anyone was worried it may do. to make sure it woked i actually performed this twice...)

does anyone else have any ideas, or will the 10.4.9 update (expected any day now) fix the bt/syncing problems?
johnodd4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have to do a system restore.

It sounds like you lost the driver at some point. Or your computer is still looking for the phone.

If you lose the mktext file which controls the bluetooth the bluetooth adapter will just shut down.
leelovesbikestoo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi johnodd4

thanks for the suggestion, that's interesting.

what does 'system restore' restore? does it reinstall os x in place, or just install a new system folder?

could the mktext file be replaced in it's correct location (obviating the need of a system restore) if it could be acquired from somewhere?
JamesE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no "System Restore" on a Mac, System Restore is only available on Windows (Xp and I think Vista). The only way you could restore would be to use a backup (assuming you have one) of a previously working system or Re-Install OS X again. If you Re-Install you need to backup your personal files as they will be lost and so will your system settings (Which may not be a bad thing as your problem could be software related) but, Before you do that you need to make sure you have done all that you can to resolve the problem as it's quite an undertaking.

I can not offer you a solution to the problem but, My advise is to hold on for a few days and hope someone on here or another forum comes up with a fix. Only Re-Install as a final option.
leelovesbikestoo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey james, i've been watching these fora, and the apple discussions to find a solution. users have had varying degrees of success with pmu and pram resetting, system config deleting, os updating etc, but not me!

i recall a software restore disk for mac, but maybe that was for classic (os9)?

searching on the apple knowledge base i have found an article which describes restoring the original settings/applications that shipped with the computer using the 'software restore' app in ~/Applications/Utilities under Panther (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=151961). I'm now on Tiger and that app is not there.

i have posted a question on the apple forum regarding this restore (whether to restore 10.3 which is the original system, or to restore 10.4), and whether is has to be done via a disk or can be downloaded.

yep, i'm not wanting to reinstall os x from scratch as i've got my system just the way i want it now and it's running sweet. tbh, i'd rather just buy a bt dongle for £10 (which i know does work as i have experimented with one).

it's just annoying i can't get my kit, for which i paid good money, to work!
JamesE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand your disappointment, I bought a BT phone last week and I just love how it integrates with OS X, If this was to stop working I would be pretty pissed off Crying or Very sad

I just followed that link and the Software Restore application that it mentions is not on my system (10.4.9) either. Do you the Tiger 10.4.x disks? I have just put mine in and it has various bluetooth files that could be re-installed and may fix your problem.

I am going to keep looking through the disk now to see what could be of use to you.
leelovesbikestoo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i have the tiger disk, but i thought that was only for a complete installation?

is it possible to custom install parts of the os?

i'm not sure reinstalling tiger components would help; the bt problem was present before and after i upgraded to tiger. but maybe i missed part of the custom install? (it was the 'upgrade' from panther option i used)

many thanks for your help btw!
JamesE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on the "Upgrade" as that is something I have never done so I just don't know if you made a mistake or overlooked something, Or it worked as it should have done.

I did a search for Bluetooth on OS X Install Disc 1 and below is a list of files/folders that were found and the location they are installed to on your computer. If I was you I would replace those on your computer with the originals from the install disc just incase they have been corrupted somehow.

Code:
Bluetooth.bundle   System > Library > SystemConfiguration

IOBluetooth.framework   System > Library > Frameworks

IOBluetoothUI.framework   System > Library > Frameworks

SPBluetoothReporter.spreporter  System > Library > SystemProfiler

^^This is only what I would do and as these files are only related to bluetooth if it doesn't work as expected it should not have any effect on the rest of you system. <Famous last words Very Happy
leelovesbikestoo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha! yep...

thanks, i really appreciate that. i'll check my install disk when i get home and copy those files into their respective library files.

fingers crossed...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: