123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ADS Mini Drive Kit Update
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: ADS Mini Drive Kit Update Reply with quote

ADS Mini Drive Kit Update
Sunday July 5, 2005

ADS Tech has updated their website with new pictures and information for the Mini Drive Kit. We ran a story about the Mini Drive Kit when it was announced back in May. The suggested retail price for the ADS Mini Drive kit is $69.00.

"Data-intensive files such as digital video and multi-media projects require a tremendous amount of storage. The Mini Drive Kit is the perfect external storage solution that features USB 2.0 connectivity.

The Mini Drive Kit features an external drive enclosure that enables users to convert an IDE Ultra DMA 33/66 or ATA-100/133 hard disk drive into a USB 2.0 drive simply by plugging into the ADS Native Bridge Board inside the enclosure. At 480Mbits/sec, you will get the maximum data throughput for your external drive. Now featuring an innovative SimpleTouch Back Up button that allows easy backup of any number of folders or files. Program the backup process with Software included inside from Intech." - ADS Tech.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/325.html

Last edited by admin on Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ports + no firewire = no thanks.
ninjamini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey at $69 its not a bad price for that extra HD. No wait....For $99 I also get a USB hub..and a FW hub. Thats 2 hubs for $30 more. You always need more hubs. I'd get the ministack.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This product has some attractive features.

It's an aluminum case. They say the fan is silent. With the aluminum case the fan may not kick in as often. It's reasonably priced. You can buy a hub for the extra $30 if you need it. It may not be as fast as firewire, but some people won't care.

One thing that strikes me as being strange, is the lettering on the top is upside down. Maybe it's done that way just for the photo shoot.
resuna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: USB also not as reliable as FW Reply with quote

USB is not as reliable as Firewire on a Mac. I've had all kinds of problems with USB: I only use a USB pocket drive because I couldn't find a FW one when I needed it because my previous experience with USB-IDE on the Mac was so bad, and I've had lockups, I've had the drive not show up at all or sit there resetting continually, both on my mini and the Xserve at work. I can't imagine why someone would build a USB drive aimed at the Mac market. Maybe this is really intended for that AOpen PC-mini box?

I understand that the Intel-based Macs will boot off USB but not Firewire, because they will be using an Intel BIOS. *sigh*
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where'd you hear they will be making an Intel BIOS? I don't even think Intel makes its own BIOS. Most companies buy their BIOS or are part of a group that collaborate on one. I could be wrong though.

Frankly, considering how closely Apple has been tied to FireWire (considering they practically, if not actually, invented it). I'm sure what whatever BIOS they end up using (they may actually develop it themselves with help from other companies) I'm pretty much positive that it would support booting from FireWire as well as USB.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What BIOS are the current developer machines using? Phoenix?
resuna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
Where'd you hear they will be making an Intel BIOS?

They'll be using a regular Wintel-style BIOS. I don't actually know who's going to be producing it, but it's not going to be OpenFirmware.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
Susurrus wrote:
Where'd you hear they will be making an Intel BIOS?

They'll be using a regular Wintel-style BIOS. I don't actually know who's going to be producing it, but it's not going to be OpenFirmware.

Just because it's not OpenFirmware doesn't mean that it'll lose any critical features. The only reason OpenFirmware is so awesome is because it wasn't designed and left unchanged since the 1970's. Other than that, BIOS and OpenFirmware are the same thing.

I would be the current dev Macintels are using Phoenix. It's pretty much the "default" BIOS.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
resuna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
Just because it's not OpenFirmware doesn't mean that it'll lose any critical features. The only reason OpenFirmware is so awesome is because it wasn't designed and left unchanged since the 1970's.

Um, actually, OpenFirmware is MUCH more like a traditional boot monitor, like you'd find on a Digital minicomputer in the '70s, than the IBM-PC style BIOS which is definitely an '80s abberation.

And they're definitely NOT the same thing. OpenFirmware is fundamentally different from a BIOS... it's more like what the next generation BIOS (AKA, the traditional formally structured and modular boot monitor) that they keep babbling about over in ArsTechnica than the random hacks that are a PC BIOS.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected. OpenFirmware is like the next generation of BIOS, which is what I was alluding to. I guess I didn't make that clear enough in my post. I wouldn't be suprised if Apple creates its own boot monitor that is similar to OpenFirmware in that it's based on this next-gen BIOS.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
resuna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
I wouldn't be suprised if Apple creates its own boot monitor that is similar to OpenFirmware in that it's based on this next-gen BIOS.

That would be really bad. The next generation BIOS is chockablock full of tasty evil.

Imagine configuring your computer through an embedded web browser in the boot prom itself.

Imagine debugging HTML error messages when the drivers don't match.

This is the future of the PC BIOS. Let us all pray that Apple merely accepts the current evil rather than embracing this... horror.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you get driver collisions in the BIOS? And why would those errors be HTML related even if the BIOS uses an HTML frontend? Drivers are an OS thing. I don't see why it being HTML would matter, right now it's plain text, who cares? If the HTML is coded correctly, shouldn't be a problem.

Surely this isn't the worst "horror" that NGBIOS offers?
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
resuna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
Why would you get driver collisions in the BIOS?

Because it's modular.
Quote:
And why would those errors be HTML related even if the BIOS uses an HTML frontend?

Murphy's Law, da Silva's corollary: every way things can go wrong is another way things will go wrong. Every time you add a new dependency, you add a new set of headaches. If you have modules in the BIOS, the modules will conflict. If you're using HTML and an internal web browser to configure the BIOS, you will have HTML-related problems. This month is my 45th birthday, and I started hacking on computers when I was 12, in 1972, and in those 33 years I've never seen an extra layer of complexity that didn't create a whole new kind of pain for me as a user, programmer, or supporting users or programmers.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is whether the pain from this new feature of an HTML frontend is worth the increase in features. The thing is, most of the se new changes besides the HTML part are just more of a standardization of what we already have.

If you look at the different BIOSes they all have different feature sets. Basically the difference in features is due to some lacking "modules" that others have. It might make the coding a little more complicated, especially the debugging, but in the end it should allow for motherboard manufacturers to put exactly the features they want in the BIOS without as much work because now everything's modular versus hacked together.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: