123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fonts all blurry...double vision...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackjaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: fonts all blurry...double vision... Reply with quote

im not sure if this is a mac mini problem or a problem with my lcd (westinghouse 17in widescreen lcd) but heres whats going on...

bought both the monitor and mini on saturday, upon getting everything set up i noticed that all my fonts have a blur to them and a 'ghost' or double image behind it making it even more blurry

ive tried playing with the resolutions and font smoother, but nothing helps

right now im using a vga cord to hook the monitor up, but i just ordered a dvi-d cord, so perhaps that will help?

ive also tried hooking up my pc to the lcd, but with similiar (if not less aparent) results and ive hooked my mini up to my old crt from which i got sharp clean fonts

im not sure what the problem could be here...is it the 'widescreen' messing things up, the crap vga cord, my resolution, or just a dud of an lcd?

any help is welcome...thanks!
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try using Tinker Tool. Your display may have a hard time with the font smoothing Apple uses. Go to font smoothing in Tinker Tool and raise the number to like 32. Log out and back in. If the fonts still look bad there's something wrong with your display.

http://www.bresink.de/osx/TinkerTool.html

Edit - The DVI cord may help.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also make sure you are running at the monitor's native resolution.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
Also make sure you are running at the monitor's native resolution.

Good point! Very Happy
blackjaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh, kinda sucks...i played with tinkertool and everythign is still distorted and blurry

and the manual says the native resolution is 1280x768 for a "crisp and clear" display, the resolution that im running at

i also tried adjusting 'phase' to fix bluriness, per the manuals instructions, but to no avail

im not really sure what it could be, i guess i will just wait till later in the week when my dvi-d cord arrives, and if that doesnt help the problem, i will just take this back and get another lcd

i thought this lcd would be optimized for macs and that it wouldnt give me a problem, guess i was wrong

any other suggestions?
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't actually need TinkerTool to adjust the font smoothing. There is an option for it in the SysPrefs. If you're cool and have Tiger(I don't) you could probably just search for "font smoothing" in the search window the the SysPrefs.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
blackjaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
You don't actually need TinkerTool to adjust the font smoothing. There is an option for it in the SysPrefs. If you're cool and have Tiger(I don't) you could probably just search for "font smoothing" in the search window the the SysPrefs.

im a complete OS X noob though...been using windows/dos based products since 1990 and win xp since 2001ish Embarassed
blackjaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just set font smoothing to strong and it fixed some of the blurring/double image (not all of it, its still rather annoying and not 'crisp')...but bold fonts are now rather smooshed together...there has to be a better way
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't sound like a software issue. I would return the display to the store and get a refund or exchange. You just bought the display on Saturday!
blackjaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, im definetly taking it back maybe tommorow

i dont know if i should get the same display (17inch widescreen westinghouse) or try a regular lcd (no widescreen)

im also contemplating waiting on those dang dvi-d cords to get here so i can test those out (just in case its just from the crappy vga cords)

bah, this is the suck...i cant find anyone anywhere on the web with a similiar problem
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackjaw wrote:
bah, this is the suck...i cant find anyone anywhere on the web with a similiar problem

Correction: "teh suck" Laughing

But yeah, I would recommend taking it back. You will probably want to keep the widescreen, it actually is a productivity booster. Always, if possible, use DVI (though the Mini has a problem with that sometimes) because the signal is clearer and it's digital and all the flim-flam.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
blackjaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, it is teh suck..haha

im taking it back tommorow to best buy...it might be kinda hard to find another widescreen lcd there in the same price range (and i liked the white/silver...matched my mini and keyboard/mouse so well) Sad
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just get yours replaced? I'm sure it was just a defective unit. Normally LCDs that, when they're working, don't actually work don't last long in today's brutal capitalist society.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
blackjaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i might just do that, i love the widescreen and the dvi option (which im going to hit up as soon as that dang cable comes)

i really liked the display unit they had hooked up to the mac at best buy, i didnt see this problem there, and i havent found it online anywhere on any forums, so i guess i mightve just gotten a dud
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Tinker Tool didn't work out for ya! I was thinking you didn't like font smoothing. It sounds like you got a bad display. Crying or Very sad

I don't know much about Westinghouse displays. If you take it back look at some Samsung, LG, Sony, and ViewSonic displays. These brands will probably serve you better over the long run and have a sharper picture.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: