123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Tech support and service.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Apple Tech support and service. Reply with quote

I've had some bad experiences with Dell over the past two years and I'm tired of fighting viruses and spyware. I was thinking about buying a Mac mini and using my Dell display, keyboard, and mouse. I have a few questions about Apple's support. How good is Apple's support and service?

Say your Mac mini breaks down and you don't live close to an Apple store. What is the coarse of action you need to take for getting your Mac mini repaired? Do you mail the Mac mini into service center or bring it into a regional service center? What's the turn around time for repairs?

How is Apple's phone in support? What are their hours of operation? Can you understand them or are they in a foreign call center? Can I buy the Apple Care plan for the Mac mini in a few months or does it have to be done at the time of purchase?

Sorry if this seems like a lot of questions. I'd be thankful for replies to one or all of these questions! Very Happy
philpro68

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still waiting on my Mac mini (it just shipped) and I don't know how their technical support is, but I called them because the 10.4.2 update released after my Mini was ordered. So I called to see if it would ship with the update installed. The call was answered quickly and he said it would ship with the update, but it did seem to be a foreign person. He did speak clearly though. Hope this helps. I am in the same boat with the Dell situation, I hope to get mine real soon.
e3mw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also had bad experiences with Dell (which is sad, because they used to have the best tech support out there, even suprised me several times, but that's a different story. Now they've outsourced their tech support and it S U C K S.) I don't even call them anymore unless it's something I can use a warranty on.

But anyway... I have had an iPod for a year and a half now, and no, I haven't had any problems with it, but I have called Apple's tech support once or twice to inquire about their protection plan and they were very nice and also very easy to communicate with.

I'm betting they are just as nice when dealing with the Mac Mini, too. Wink
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dual G5 Fireman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: support Reply with quote

Apple has really great support. If you keep the original box your mini comes in, you ship it to Apple. The turnaround time is very quick - usually within a week. But it is such a remote chance of this happening, because Apple builds great hardware. They use great components and build their computers using good materials (real metals, good workmanship, etc.)
I've never had somebody who couldn't throroughly understand English on the phone. Apple has a reputation for great phone support, and every experience I've ever had bears this out. (And I've been a Mac user for close to 10 years).
You can buy AppleCare for your mini any time up to a year after purchase.
I hope you switch. You won't regret it!
Dual G5 Fireman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Uh, Phil, it's really not a big deal if it doesn't ship with the 10.4.2 update. It's a free download, and you don't even have to use a browser to do it. Apple has a program built into OS X called software update. Just run it with an active internet connection going, and it will find the updates your computer needs. Click install, enter your admin password, and you're good to go.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dex, I hope that both your keyboard and mouse are USB so that you can use them with the Mini. The Mini doesn't have any PS/2 ports, which Dell likes to use for their keyboards.

I have called Apple a couple of times and they all seemed like they were American, either way they were fluent in English and I could understand them, and that's really what matters.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
e3mw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
The Mini doesn't have any PS/2 ports, which Dell likes to use for their keyboards.

So, Dex, if you dont feel like picking up a new $39 USB keyboard/Mouse you could grab one of these

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/IOGEAR-USB-to-PS-2-Adapter-GUC10KM-/sem/rpsm/oid/126872/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

They say it works with MacOS, and it'll only use up one of your USB ports.

/e3mw
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
philpro68

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: update Reply with quote

Dual G5 Fireman wrote:
Uh, Phil, it's really not a big deal if it doesn't ship with the 10.4.2 update. It's a free download, and you don't even have to use a browser to do it. Apple has a program built into OS X called software update. Just run it with an active internet connection going, and it will find the updates your computer needs. Click install, enter your admin password, and you're good to go.

Thanks,
I have just read a few posts that things were running a bit sluggish after the update, and I didn't know if it was just loading the update ontop of the OS or if they were running older versions like Panther when they updated. I just wouldn't think an "update" should cause the computer to run sluggish. It may have just been some programs that were sluggish. I just want this computer to be awesome so I can convince my wife and her business partner to switch to Macs. I'm hoping to seduce them with my mini (man does that sound weird) and get them interested in switching.
Thanks for the info.
slickrick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had to call Apple about my mini. (Knock on wood) Now my 3G iPod was a different story. Two of their screens died on me within a three month period. (I know that seems wacky) Apple didn't hesitate one bit and sent me out new iPods. Even before I sent the damaged ones back. They even sent me a $50 iTunes gift certificate for all my trouble. All the technical support reps I spoke with were friendly and understandable.
Dex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. Dual G5 Fireman, thanks for addressing so many of my questions. If you've called Dell over the last two years you'll know why I'm worried about support. Susurrus brings up a point about the Dell keyboard and mouse. Mine has both USB and PS2 connectors. The only thing that plugs into the computer is the USB transmitter for the pair. I believe Logitech makes the set for Dell. I'm pretty sure the multimedia keys on the keyboard won't work in OS-X, but the basic keys should work - right? The mouse is a basic two-button mouse with scroll wheel. I can always buy another set if this one doesn't work.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?TabPage=techspecs&sku=310-4170&category_id=4000&c=us&l=en&cs=19
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dex wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. Dual G5 Fireman, thanks for addressing so many of my questions. If you've called Dell over the last two years you'll know why I'm worried about support. Susurrus brings up a point about the Dell keyboard and mouse. Mine has both USB and PS2 connectors. The only thing that plugs into the computer is the USB transmitter for the pair. I believe Logitech makes the set for Dell. I'm pretty sure the multimedia keys on the keyboard won't work in OS-X, but the basic keys should work - right? The mouse is a basic two-button mouse with scroll wheel. I can always buy another set if this one doesn't work.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?TabPage=techspecs&sku=310-4170&category_id=4000&c=us&l=en&cs=19

Okay, you might be in luck, here. I own a wireless logitech KBM set and they offer drivers for OS X and they work awesome. Your KBM should work with the Mini through the USB connector. The extra keys probably won't work unless you install extra software. You could call Dell and ask (probably won't be helpful at all) or you could try and download Logitech's OS X software for their other wireless KBMs and see if it works for yours. The software seems like it's unified like Nvidia's software, so all of their wireless KBMs would work; that's purely a guess though.

If you try to get those keys to work, let us know how it goes.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Dex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good! I'd hate to give the pair up because the keyboard is a dream to type on and it matches the 19" Dell widscreen LCD.
bsnoel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dex wrote:
Sounds good! I'd hate to give the pair up because the keyboard is a dream to type on and it matches the 19" Dell widscreen LCD.

Dex,

Jump on in, the water is fine. I think that you will be glad that you switched.
Dex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid when I jump - Apple will update. That's the only thing holding me back now.
bsnoel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dex wrote:
I'm afraid when I jump - Apple will update. That's the only thing holding me back now.

Yes, but it really does not matter when you buy. Because, not matter what you get its only going to be new for a short while. Then, inevitably something better will come out and your new machine will be old. It's just the way technology works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: