123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NewerTech lowers prices on miniStack V2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
snip. One question I would have before buying one - is it easy to change the drive in the LaCie case if you don't like the one they supply?

Yes, it is. The trick is, the long thin screws are under the white rubbery feet. I replaced the Hitachi Deskstar 80 GB with a Deskstar 160 GB. The only thing was that the power plug was hard to remove but I think it has something to do with the measurements of Hitachi, it was hard to put it in in the new Hitachi drive as well. Now I have a Hitachi 160 GB in a LaCie D2 case, which is not hard to do either. Of course your warranty is voided, but those D2 cases are second hand easily available.
mshan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is transmitted vibration from the MiniStack to desk it's resting on?

And how does it compare to the LaCie D2 (320 GB model)?
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mshan wrote:
How is transmitted vibration from the MiniStack to desk it's resting on?

And how does it compare to the LaCie D2 (320 GB model)?

Both will need a sturdy table (preverably stone/concrete) or thick felt pads underneath it. A HD always vibrates...heavily. Manytimes it results in a hum and vibration at the same time. I made a pedestal from a letter stand with a thick glass plate on top. Between letter stand and glass plate I have thick felt pad one usually puts under a table or cabinet on a wooden floor not to scratch te surface. The picture is not the latest, under the MiniStack there is a D2 drive on its' side also now and the Mini is gone.

mshan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there enough space inside the case to use silicon hard drive grommets to damp transmitted vibrations from the hard drive/heat sink mount and external plastic casing?

EDIT: I know this may depend on the particular hard drive installed, but can others comment on the sound character of the vibrating Mini-Stack enclosure? And does this sound tend to blend in with ambient noise, or is it a type of noise that is annoying and hard to ignore? (e. g. pulsing)
StephenRC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't enough room inside to use grommets. The hard drive mounts to a heat sink plate that is then attached to the case. The case has two strips of silicon on the bottom for the feet which help reduce the transfer of sound to whatever you have it sitting on.

I put a 200GB Maxtor in mine. The only thing I hear is the head seeking and the fan once it starts heating up.
thegroundworks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Stick with LaCie Reply with quote

I am looking for an external drive for my Mini. I have had plenty of LaCie drives for external storage and and tempted by this pricing. I doubt I will lean away from them
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:

That is one nice looking external burner! Cool
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:

That is one nice looking external burner! Cool

And it is not available in the shop as it has a Pioneer DVR 110D with silver faceplate in a cdrw LaCie D2 case. The normal LaCie external DVD burners nowadays are fitted with a NEC with black faceplate. Not the nicest solution I think, but I have a more recent picture here before I sold the Mini 1.5 G4.

Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
And it is not available in the shop as it has a Pioneer DVR 110D with silver faceplate in a cdrw LaCie D2 case. The normal LaCie external DVD burners nowadays are fitted with a NEC with black faceplate. Not the nicest solution I think, but I have a more recent picture here before I sold the Mini 1.5 G4.

I thought the case looked like a LaCie, but the white faceplate threw me off. Did you buy an empty enclosure or just switch the actual drives out?
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:

I thought the case looked like a LaCie, but the white faceplate threw me off. Did you buy an empty enclosure or just switch the actual drives out?

It is a LaCie D2 case with Firewire indeed and it had a beige cdrw (LiteOn) in it. I bought it second hand for € 35.00, sold the cdrw which is in use in a Windows PC now(!!) and because I installed it, got € 20.00 for it. So in the empty case I installed the silver bezeled Pioneer. It says: LaCie 1394 CDRW drive LUN 0.: in 'About This Mac' (Firewire) but acts as a 16X DVD burner! Laughing
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:

It is a LaCie D2 case with Firewire indeed and it had a beige cdrw (LiteOn) in it. I bought it second hand for € 35.00, sold the cdrw which is in use in a Windows PC now(!!) and because I installed it, got € 20.00 for it. So in the empty case I installed the silver bezeled Pioneer. It says: LaCie 1394 CDRW drive LUN 0.: in 'About This Mac' (Firewire) but acts as a 16X DVD burner! Laughing

Good job! I think you should send those pictures to LaCie. I really don't understand why they only use black faceplates. White or silver looks so much better with Mac gear. I know LaCie isn't a Mac only company, but they seem to market a lot of their stuff to Mac users. Maybe their external burners do better with PC users since most Macs come with a SuperDrive. I know I would be more interested in buying a second drive with LightScribe if it looked a little more like yours.
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a LaCie LightScribe drive, note that for whatever reason they only include the Mac software with the USB version. In their minds, FireWire implies a PC!?

Doug
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:

Good job! I think you should send those pictures to LaCie. I really don't understand why they only use black faceplates. White or silver looks so much better with Mac gear. I know LaCie isn't a Mac only company, but they seem to market a lot of their stuff to Mac users. Maybe their external burners do better with PC users since most Macs come with a SuperDrive. I know I would be more interested in buying a second drive with LightScribe if it looked a little more like yours.

It's actually easy to do, it is a matter of unscrewing the backplate, (2nd screw is under the type-s/n sticker, unscrewing the little side screws and pushing the old drive back. When you take the power and the ATA plug off you keep an ordinary cdrw- or dvd-r drive in your hand!. Replace it with an run of the mill Pioneer or other NEC and you're safe. Even a Blue Ray machine would work I guess if it still has ATA. Beware! A Benq drive which is tested better than the Pioneer on this site http://www.cdrinfo.com/ (these guys are real experts!) will not work well in an external case, that has something to do with it's chipset! So you have to check which types usually will work well in an external case, or simply buy a Pioneer or NEC (they share the same chipsets) Certain Sony's, LiteOn's, LG's might work too, but you have to Google on these. I'm very happy with my 110D, which is fairly quick and usually doesn't make coasters! Laughing
Another site where you can get good info from about cd/dvd burning is http://www.speedlabs.org/.
If you really want a custom machine, I'd find a D2 burner with Firewire, and if you buy a cdrw, they are cheap second hand, which means you have the case for almost nothing as in my case!
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Eldred wrote:
If you get a LaCie LightScribe drive, note that for whatever reason they only include the Mac software with the USB version. In their minds, FireWire implies a PC!?

Doug

That's quite stupid. Buy a second hand with the MAC software and you're all set!
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Eldred wrote:

Doug

Wow. Didn't Apple invent FireWire?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: