123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DarwiinRemote turns Wii Remote into Apple Remote
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: DarwiinRemote turns Wii Remote into Apple Remote Reply with quote

Thursday, December 7, 2006
Posted by: Glenn

DarwiinRemote is a neat little application that allows you to use a Nintendo Wii Remote (Wiimote) in place of your Apple Remote. I don't own a Nintendo Wii console yet, so I went out last night and purchased a Wiimote to test with Front Row and Keynote. I'm happy to report that it works quite well. The key mappings work as advertised, and you get the added benefit of having a Bluetooth remote. That basically means you can control your Mac mini without being in its line-of-sight. This could also be a nice solution for you PPC-based Mac mini owners out there running Front Row. What more could you ask for?

Read more...

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/570.html

Last edited by admin on Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:46 pm; edited 7 times in total
agruenebaum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: DarwiinRemote turns Wii Remote into Apple Remote Reply with quote

admin wrote:

I have been trying out bluetooth divices with my MacMini as well as with a G5 at the same location (close to our Pioneer Plasma display): connection was lost at a distance of less than 8 ft (Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse). In the meantime I have migrated to Gyration's mouse and keybourd combo which works fine within a range of up to 30ft. I am still doing most of the Front Row / MediaCentral "work" with Apples IR remote.

What are your results with bluetooth devices close to a Plasma display?
Glenn
News Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: DarwiinRemote turns Wii Remote into Apple Remote Reply with quote

agruenebaum wrote:
What are your results with bluetooth devices close to a Plasma display?

I wish I had a Plasma display. Wink

This doesn't really answer your question, but I can do around 30 feet with the Wiimote from two 20" LCDs without any trouble.

Last edited by Glenn on Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course your post is much more elaborate, I still beat you to the punch.
http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9646&highlight=
Razz Wink

JK
+++++++++++++++++
It does work perfectly with my PPC Mac Mini.

Once you get the controls down, you can even use it as a mouse. Though it is not as intuitive and fluent as it could be.
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Using it as a mouse is difficult at first. The Wiimote has to be at a specific angle. Then from there you lift or lower the Wiimote to move the cursor up or down. Then you twist (or simply aim left or right) the Wiimote to go left or right. If you bring it back to the specific angle it will no longer move. Definitely takes some getting used to, but works none-the-less.

News Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Of course your post is much more elaborate, I still beat you to the punch.

We had a two or three emails sent in about it yesterday. I really wanted to give it a first-hand look before putting it in our news section.

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Once you get the controls down, you can even use it as a mouse. Though it is not as intuitive and fluent as it could be.

Yeah, operating the mouse can be tricky. I really don't think that feature is ready for primetime yet. Are you mostly using it as a remote for Front Row?
ecking

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this is perfected it'd be pretty cool. Imagine using a mini connected to a tv and just buy yourself a wiimote to use with it and then use apple's on screen keyboard. That'd be awesome for couch web surfing when you don't wanna pickup a keyboard and mouse.

I hope they add some kind of functionality like that to itv as well a more indepth remote with something like i dunno... 12 buttons.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Are you mostly using it as a remote for Front Row?
Yes and no. I use it occasionally because its a novelty. But since I have a Wii also, you can't use both at the same time. The Wii takes priority over using it for a Mac remote. The remote is automatically re-synced with Wii.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: DarwiinRemote turns Wii Remote into Apple Remote Reply with quote

agruenebaum wrote:
In the meantime I have migrated to Gyration's mouse and keybourd combo which works fine within a range of up to 30ft.

I've been using this setup for nearly two years now, easily my favorite setup. The ability to use a mouse both in the air and on the desktop is fantastic!
mrchowmein

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse pointer mode has been programmed to work with xp already with the use of the wii sensor bar. check out the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp1_pZ-AteA

im sure soon this will work for osx. great for htpc use if you could use the wii-mote as a mouse pointer.
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrchowmein wrote:
mouse pointer mode has been programmed to work with xp already with the use of the wii sensor bar. check out the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp1_pZ-AteA

im sure soon this will work for osx. great for htpc use if you could use the wii-mote as a mouse pointer.

Wow that looks very accurate! I just got done trying DarwiinRemote and you can barley control the pointer. Sad

I'm having a blast with WiiSaber though. Laughing

http://isnoop.net/blog/2006/12/07/wiisaber-a-wii-mac-and-lightsaber-sandwich/
johnodd4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: this rocks Reply with quote

this has to be the most cooliest app ever but with one problem the application needs to be combined with a driver so that the remote remains connected at all times
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my kids *cough* I *cough* need a Wii for Christmas! Wink

I am really surprised with all the hacks out there for the Wii remote. At this rate, I bet it becomes a popular accessory for computers.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
At this rate, I bet it becomes a popular accessory for computers.
I think Interlink might use that as a basis (for punitive royalties) for their lawsuit against Nintendo.
http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/08/nintendo-finally-hit-with-wiimote-lawsuit/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
curt wrote:
At this rate, I bet it becomes a popular accessory for computers.
I think Interlink might use that as a basis (for punitive royalties) for their lawsuit against Nintendo.
http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/08/nintendo-finally-hit-with-wiimote-lawsuit/

Take a number! I have a feeling that Nintendo legal is going to be busy with all the Wii remotes flying around. God forbid a flying Wii remote kills somebody. Don't you just hate the suing type and lawsuits? It reminds me of one of my favorite jokes.

What do you call 100 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start!

I have a better one, but it's rated X. Laughing
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
Take a number! I have a feeling that Nintendo legal is going to be busy with all the Wii remotes flying around. God forbid a flying Wii remote kills somebody.
I think the Wiimote thing is overblown. Plus most of those people are people who just don't pay attention to the warnings. There are warnings before every game is played.

All it takes is some more pressure exerted on holding the controller. Also people need to show some control when playing. Most of those people who have thrown Wiimotes, have done so basically whipping them like bats and actual tennis rackets. All of which is unnecessary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: