123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about formatting MiniStack (M9) drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Questions about formatting MiniStack (M9) drive Reply with quote

According to UPS my MiniStack (M9) will arrive today.
So now, still being fairly new to Macs, I have a question about how to set up the second drive to do the following:

1. Remove my 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda drive from my old PC and install in the MiniStack. This will become my video scratch drive (I burn/edit a lot of DVD movies).

2. Format the Seagate and make it bootable

3. Boot off of the MiniStack/Seagate and compare xbench results with those when booting of my 80GB internal.

4. When done playing around, switch back to booting off my internal 80GB

Why continue to boot off my internal? As I said, the MiniStack/Seagate will primarily be used as a scratch drive for DVD burning, etc. I'm only interested in booting off of it temporarily to see how much of an improvement it is over my current configuration. Long term, I plan on replacing my internal 80GB drive with a 7200RPM 100GB Hitachi or Seagate 2.5" when they become generally available. Performance is acceptable for now.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop

Last edited by greg on Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you asking about how to actually remove and install your old PC drive or how to use OS X and format that drive, clone your old hard drive onto the external, and then boot off of both to compare XBench?

To do the former, a screwdrive and some brains would go a long way. To do the latter...

To clone onto the firewire, link.

To format external drive as HFS+ use Disk Utility. Should be fairly straight forward. Just leave it as one partition in HFS+, you can use journaling if you want, but that's a feature designed for servers.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
So are you asking about how to actually remove and install your old PC drive

Uhh...no....I understand how to remove/install a drive (been doing it for 20+ years). My question is how to format the external drive and boot OSX. I'll check out the link.
Dell 1905FP
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to hear from some of you on this forum who have actually done this with external FW drives and a Mac Mini. Any comments on your experience? Performance? Any issues you ran into?
Dell 1905FP
Brendan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:
I'd like to hear from some of you on this forum who have actually done this with external FW drives and a Mac Mini. Any comments on your experience? Performance? Any issues you ran into?

I have been running my mini off the fw enclosure for a few months now. I do backups to the internal drive. Works fine. You'll notice an increase in the overall responsiveness as well.
anthonymoody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a 400GB ministack, partitioned (roughly) 100/300. I boot off the 100 partition, backup to the internal drive, and will use the 300 partition for media editing/scratch.

My xbench overall score went from 113 to 134. While it's "only" an 18.% improvement, the drive scores are almost 2x better using the ministack. As a result, my mini feels waaaaaay more responsive than it did prior. More snappy, fewer lags, fewer spinning beach balls, etc.

TM
idave

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthonymoody wrote:
I'm using a 400GB ministack, partitioned (roughly) 100/300. I boot off the 100 partition, backup to the internal drive, and will use the 300 partition for media editing/scratch.

My xbench overall score went from 113 to 134. While it's "only" an 18.% improvement, the drive scores are almost 2x better using the ministack. As a result, my mini feels waaaaaay more responsive than it did prior. More snappy, fewer lags, fewer spinning beach balls, etc.

TM

I seriously hope a 7,200rpm internal drive comes standard with the mini. I'd be willing loose up to 20GB of storage for the faster drive. Nice to see your scores jumped that much!
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: