123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Western Digital Scorpio WD1600BEVS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Western Digital Scorpio WD1600BEVS Reply with quote

Anyone here using the Western Digital Scorpio WD1600BEVS (160GB 5400RPM 8MB SATA 2.5) hard drive in their Intel Mac mini? If so, I have some questions about its speed and noise. I found one on sale for a really good price. I really prefer Seagate of Fujitsu hard drives, but the price for this one has me thinking twice.
caulktel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering the same thing, as I just picked up a WD 1000VE drive, (the IDE 100 gig version), only I want to put it in my G4 Mac Mini. I'm betting they will work fine, but it would be nice if somebody has already done it before I crack the case.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some bad experiences with Western Digital drives in the 90's. Because of that, I'm a little gun-shy of their products. I've heard Western Digital has come a long way with quality control and design, but I'm looking for a first hand report on this particular drive. There are only three reviews for it on Newegg. I think beyond quality, noise is my biggest fear. This Mac mini is quietest Mac I have ever owned, and I would like to keep it that way.
caulktel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked in the computer repair industry for about 20 years now, and I will agree with you about Western Digital's past history, but now I find I replace more Seagate/Maxtor drives than any other brand. The WD's seem to last forever.

Well, I swapped out my Seagate 4200rpm 80 gig drive for the WD Scorpio 100 gig drive this afternoon, and Wow! what a difference it made in speed, and very quiet also. I stuck the new drive into a Firewire enclosure, then set it up with disk utility, then used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the drive. It was really easy to swap the drives, took about 15 minutes, and here I was worried about it. all is good now.

Sorry I can't give you any help on your drive. Maybe somebody will come along that has used that drive.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed on this drive (99% sure it was this model) because of my own personal fears of WD drives. Ended up going with a 120GB Seagate. Looking back now, I think I should have given this one a try. It cost less than my 120GB model and comes with a decent warranty. I think you should give it a try if the price (haven't looked lately) is substantially less than the 120GB and 160GB models from Seagate. JMHO
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and ordered one while they are on sale. I'll report back once I get it installed.

BTW: I bought it from ClubIT for $113.99 (on sale). I've never purchased anything from them, so buyer beware.

http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA3494612
aphex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a WD 160gb Scorpio in mine... Works great
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aphex wrote:
i have a WD 160gb Scorpio in mine... Works great

Cool! Mine is on the way. It should be here either tomorrow or on Monday. How are the noise levels compared to the stock Seagate?
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
Cool! Mine is on the way. It should be here either tomorrow or on Monday. How are the noise levels compared to the stock Seagate?

Just an early good luck with your upgrade. Hope it goes well. What will you do with your stock mini drive?
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyPod wrote:
Just an early good luck with your upgrade. Hope it goes well. What will you do with your stock mini drive?

Thanks. I've already had my Mac mini apart a few times, so it should be a big deal. I was thinking about buying a portable external enclosure for the old drive. If that doesn't work out, I might end up using it in a entry-level PS3 or other another device down the road.
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
Thanks. I've already had my Mac mini apart a few times, so it should be a big deal.

I think you meant to say it shouldn't be a big deal, but I understand. I think an external enclosure would go nice with your stock drive.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I meant shouldn't. I already had the hard drive out (just geeking around) when I upgraded the RAM. I just need to rip off the foam and replace the drive this time around. I hope that foam will still have some stick on it for the new drive. Laughing
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
Yes, I meant shouldn't. I already had the hard drive out (just geeking around) when I upgraded the RAM. I just need to rip off the foam and replace the drive this time around. I hope that foam will still have some stick on it for the new drive. Laughing

Hopefully. If not, just give it a lick, then it'll be fine. Just like new Very Happy
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the hard drive in today! Very Happy

I have question though. I forgot to write down the temps for my old 80GB hard drive. Doh! I kinda remember it running around 48C. This WD is running at 58C. Would some post their temp for a comparison?

Oh yeah, the noise levels for the WD are totally acceptable. I can't hear much of a difference between the new and old drives.

Last edited by Ben Tex on Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
Got the hard drive in today! Very Happy

I have question though. I forgot to write down the temps for my old 80GB hard drive. Doh! I kinda remember it running around 38C. This WD is running at 45C. Would some post their temp for a comparison?

Oh yeah, the noise levels for the WD are totally acceptable. I can't hear much of a difference between the new and old drives.

Congrats on your great upgrade! I'm glad it went well. I remember you stating that you were worried about the foam not being able to stick. Was it sticky enough, and did the overall upgrade go well?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: