123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NewerTech miniStack for Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FishKepr wrote:
First notes:
Curiously, it defaulted to USB not FireWire.

Isn't there a switch in the back where you select whether you want it to connect through USB or FireWire or are you saying that when you took it out of the box the switch was set to USB?
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about the hub feature on this drive?

Can you use the USB ports on this drive for external devices if you are connected to the mini through firewire? Or do you also have to connect the drive to the mini via USB as well?
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Power and heat Reply with quote

resuna wrote:

On the heat front, I'm concerned about the heat from running the drive right under the mini, because my mini at least dissipates enough heat through the bottom surface I can feel it through 1/2 inch of wood.

The bottom of my Mac mini gets quite warm. In fact the bottom gets warmer than the top ever does. I noticed it for the first time a few months ago after moving it to the other side of my desk. The bottom of your Mac mini must get REALLY warm to be able to feel it through a wood desk.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, looking at the pictures of the insides of a Mini, there is a thermal pad that transfers heat directly to the metal lining of the Mini's case. I would reckon that that would be why the bottom gets so hot.

So we have the bottom too hot and the top blocks wireless reception, so where can we put these stackable Mini accessories?
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
FishKepr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
FishKepr wrote:
First notes:
Curiously, it defaulted to USB not FireWire.

Isn't there a switch in the back where you select whether you want it to connect through USB or FireWire or are you saying that when you took it out of the box the switch was set to USB?

The switch says "AUTO" and "1394a". When set to "AUTO" the unit decides what to use.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
Well, looking at the pictures of the insides of a Mini, there is a thermal pad that transfers heat directly to the metal lining of the Mini's case. I would reckon that that would be why the bottom gets so hot.

So we have the bottom too hot and the top blocks wireless reception, so where can we put these stackable Mini accessories?

Sounds like an opportunity to create another product.

The iBoost. It would be similar to those glowy things but with cooling properties, an Airport/bluetooth signal amplifier and multiple USB/firewire ports. Optional card reader/ports on the front.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:

You could use those little 3M non-skid feet on the bottom of the Mac mini to get a gap between the enclosure and bottom of the mini. Get a little airflow in there to help dissipate the heat.

Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those beige rubber nipples don't match my Mini, unfortunately.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have clear and black ones. I was trying to show an example of one. Very Happy
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the clear ones wouldn't be bad. I really wouldn't want to have to use those though. If you wouldn't use that drive all the time, you think it'd be fine by having OS X just put it to sleep when it isn't using it? I just have movies on my external, so I don't use it all that option, so I could see me not needing to worry about it if I just did that, though the drives would get hot during the 2 hours I'm watching a movie. grrr
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
FishKepr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just tried putting an empty CD case between the units to see if that would help and it did not. The miniStack still protested. I'm not sure if the heat radiated through the body of the CD case or the units are simply too close together.

I should also mention that the air flowing out of the drive feels rather cool. I wonder how much good it's actually doing.

This is rather disappointing. Mad

However I wonder if we're going about this the wrong way. The NewerTech directions say to put the temperature probe on the spindle. However, the OWC pamphlet does not say this and the picture has the probe at the back near the fan. Maybe we should put the probe elsewhere, so it would not pick up the heat from the mini.
aristobrat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skoone wrote:
Hmmm... Interesting. My drive isn't powering down. Yep, the blue light on the front stays on after the Mini has been powered down but the drive is definitely still spinning. Something is very wrong here. Guess I'm going to have to troubleshoot this one a bit further.

The drive itself works fine with the Mini and the M9, in fact it does everything that it's supposed to except power the drive down. The hard drive is a WD 300 gig, picked it up at Sam's Club a few days ago.

Steve

FWIW, I have an Adaptec USB 3.5" enclosure w/ a 120GB WD and it acts exactly the same way. Mini powers down and the drive keeps right on spinning. I'm not sure why it bothers me now -- the drive had been in a noisy Dell tower server that never shut down (spinning 24x7 for over a year now), but for some reason it spinning 24x7 attached to a sleeping-mini doesn't seem right. LOL
slickrick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FishKepr wrote:

I should also mention that the air flowing out of the drive feels rather cool. I wonder how much good it's actually doing.

This is rather disappointing. Mad

However I wonder if we're going about this the wrong way. The NewerTech directions say to put the temperature probe on the spindle. However, the OWC pamphlet does not say this and the picture has the probe at the back near the fan. Maybe we should put the probe elsewhere, so it would not pick up the heat from the mini.

Is the fan on all the time? What happens if you take the probe off the drive all together? Maybe you got a bum temperature probe or positioned it wrong on the drive. I'm not sure how much you need the fan anyways. It could be overkill! There are enclosures out there way smaller than the M9 looks without a fan.
FishKepr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the mini is on top the unit gets pretty warm and the fan is on HIGH all the time. If it move it off, the fan powers down in about 5-10 minutes.

The probe is positioned exactly as the one in the photo in the review.
slickrick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try moving it. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: