123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NewerTech miniStack for Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just opened up the box. It seems well built and is a nice looking unit. Heavy plastic construction and appears no less sturdy than the mini. Looks like decent instructions are included for formatting and partitioning the drive. One area where maybe they mimic the mini a little too much is the top cover panel. It snaps on with plastic prongs although there are only 4 of them and it is not nearly as tight as the base of the mini. Would have been nice if it just had 4 recessed screws or something but then I suppose it wouldn't be as aesthetic.
I've got kids to feed and a honey-do list to attend to so I probably won't get around to hooking it up until this evening. I'll post an update as soon as I test things out.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I look forward to anything else you can comment on about the unit! Very Happy
oldskoolboarder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Mine arrived today Reply with quote

Sitting at home, looking at the UPS tracking info. Bummer though, my HD won't come for a few days...
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you guys use standard shipping or second day?
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
FishKepr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took advantage of the 2nd day shipping special so mine arrives tomorrow. What I really want to know is how quiet it is.
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I look forward to anything else you can comment on about the unit! Very Happy

Here is a synopsis of my first day's experience with the miniStack.

http://miniplus.blogspot.com/2005/07/my-first-mini-addition.html

Everything set up and worked like a charm. I haven't had a chance to use the external drive for DVD burning yet which is what I really wanted it for but everything else went smoothly. Nice unit. I'm happy.
Dell 1905FP
castaway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:
devo wrote:

Here is a synopsis of my first day's experience with the miniStack.

http://miniplus.blogspot.com/2005/07/my-first-mini-addition.html

Everything set up and worked like a charm. I haven't had a chance to use the external drive for DVD burning yet which is what I really wanted it for but everything else went smoothly. Nice unit. I'm happy.

Great review mate!
retrophonic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent in-depth review!

Thanks
anthonymoody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your review ROCKS - thank you! And you purchased it for the exact reason I ordered one: as a scratch drive for video editing. I'm torn about whether to use it as my boot volume...have to think more about that...

THanks again,
Tony
anthonymoody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question: is the intermediate step of formatting the drive necessary before using superduper? In other words, will super duper not 'format' the drive as part of the copying process?

Thanks,
TM
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthonymoody wrote:
One more question: is the intermediate step of formatting the drive necessary before using superduper? In other words, will super duper not 'format' the drive as part of the copying process?

Thanks,
TM

Actually, you are correct in that an intermediate formatting would not be necessary when using SuperDuper to create a bootable copy. I had already formatted the drive before I found SuperDuper. When you first initiate the copy with SuperDuper it will inform you that it will reinitialize the recipient volume.
Dell 1905FP
dynamic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im thinking about getting the mini and the ministack. So would you say it would not work to have the mini on top of the ministack or does the mini and ministack have to be on 100% constantly for there to be any real heating issue?
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynamic wrote:
im thinking about getting the mini and the ministack. So would you say it would not work to have the mini on top of the ministack or does the mini and ministack have to be on 100% constantly for there to be any real heating issue?

The miniStack got quite warm during the copy of the internal drive image. However, we have to take into account that the external drive was extremely active for about 46 minutes of continuous activity. I don't know that this would be typical. However, when performing things like DVD burning using the external as a scratch drive it would also be very active for long periods of time which could produce significant heat.

If you are going to use the miniStack as a backup device or simply for data storage I would not expect that it would be a problem stacking it directly under the Mini. I did notice that after later booting from the miniStack and just performing some routine tasks (i.e. surfing, NeoOffice etc.) it appeared to run cooler but still not as cool as the Mini.
Dell 1905FP
dynamic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

even if i were mainly gonna use it as an extra drive. The 40g would fill up pretty soon so the ministack would be on quite alot, though not full use maybe just a movie or song playing.

if you put something like this over the ministack do you think it would protect the mini from the heat or?
anthonymoody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have my mini on its side and will do the same with the ministack, next to and "under" the mini. I can separate them by an inch or whatever if need be to allow them both to breath.

TM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: