123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Macmini: Software, Adapter, Partition, Seti?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Finbar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Macmini: Software, Adapter, Partition, Seti? Reply with quote

Howdy,

This is the Mac I have been waiting for!

I have a G3(stop laffin') beige tower. I hoped to get the G4, but the $ never fell into me budget. Same with the G5.

The Apple site states that a VGA adapter is included. Does this mean my fossil 17" monster box-sized monitor will work with the Macmini? Can user confirm?

Site implies that Appleworks is included. Is it?

I like to partition me HD for old OS software for old Mac peripherials. Also, it is a nice way to get back into the Mac if a problem exists with login on most used signin nick. Is this possible with the Macmini?

Has anyone run a Seti data unit? Please post work unit times.

Sorry if this is elesewhere. I am so excited about the Macmini that I rushed to make this post. Trying not to wet me pants Surprised

Thanks,
Fin
billabong

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appleworks 6 is included. VGA Monitor should work with adapter. You can run classic 9 mode. I'm glad you were able to get a mini a lot of use older mac users were in the same boat as you.
DarleenMB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No laughing here ... my G3 beige MT (233mhz) is sitting on the floor next to me as I type this using my brand new mini. Razz

I put the adapter that came with the mini on the OTHER adapter on my 15" Panasonic crt and have to say the old boy never looked so good.

Didn't realize Appleworks was on the drive til I went and looked. Yup. It's there but I already have a copy. I bought the new iWork but haven't tried it out yet.

My new mini (got it Friday) is a 1.42Mhz, got the BTO and the apple wireless keyboard/mouse (which I LOVE) and hooked up my year old LaCie Porsche external HD so I'm off and runnin'.

I had ordered a firewire cable so I could try and do a transfer of all my user stuff but it isn't here so I just copied all my user info over to the LaCie drive and have just copied it back to appropriate places on the new mini. Not the most efficient way to do things but I appear to have lost only my inbox messages (no big loss as it needed cleaning out anyway) and all my notes in iOrganize. But when the firewire cable arrives I'll just plug the old girl in and see if I can find those notes. Other than that everything is working great!

I had upgraded my old box to 900Mhz and was surprised at how much faster the mini is as I really didn't expect to see much of a speed bump. But it's there.

I've also, obviously, reclaimed a lot of real estate on my desk... you know how much space those towers take up. The only sorry thing is all the blasted wire. BAH. I did find a little plastic coated wire shelf at the local ChinaMart that quite neatly holds both the mini and the LaCie drive while lifting them about 6" up off the desktop. That's allowed me to put them back over the wires to free up more space.

I still can't get over how tiny it is. This itty bitty box sitting next to my big ol' CRT is just, well, AMUSING.

Oh yeah, I ordered the extra RAM (512) and I think I'll be fine with that so am not too worried about having to pop for the 1MB chip.
billabong

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DarleenMB"]No laughing here ... my G3 beige MT (233mhz) is sitting on the floor next to me as I type this using my brand new mini. Razz

Didn't realize Appleworks was on the drive til I went and looked. Yup. It's there but I already have a copy. I bought the new iWork but haven't tried it out yet.

I still can't get over how tiny it is. This itty bitty box sitting next to my big ol' CRT is just, well, AMUSING.[quote]

Congratulations on your new mini! Maybe you need to get a LCD monitor to make it feel at home. Wink When you fire up iWork let me know what you think of it. I'm thinking of buying it myself. Oh yea nice looking website!
DarleenMB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billabong wrote:
Congratulations on your new mini! Maybe you need to get a LCD monitor to make it feel at home. Wink When you fire up iWork let me know what you think of it. I'm thinking of buying it myself. Oh yea nice looking website!

I'd love an LCD but one thing at a time. What I really wanted was the new iMac but I saved over $1200 by going with the mini. Maybe in a couple of years I'll put the mini on the HDTV and get that iMac.

Thanks re my site... it needs a major update, just haven't had the time. Too busy now playing with my new toy. Wink
billabong

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good deal! I know I'm mini broke myself right now lol!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: