123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lower ram slot dead in powerbook?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UMJonny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Lower ram slot dead in powerbook? Reply with quote

So i swapped the optical drive in my powerbook the other day. I was in system profiler and noticed there was nothing in the lower slot, there should be a 512 in each slot. I can swap them back and forth, and nothing changes. Is the slot dead? What can i do? Sad
UMJonny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO...
From what i have read, im once again S.O.L.

Apple has acknowledged the issue. but my PB happens to be one of the ones outside of the repair progam. Just like when the logic board died in my iBook, mine wasnt one of the ones that could be repaired.

At least its not quite a paper weight for now...
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So instead of your computer registering 1GB of memory, it's only registering 512 MB of memory in one slot?

It could be defective RAM. But, to be safe I would contact Apple ASAP.
UMJonny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im positive its not the ram. I can swap them back and frother between the two slots, and the lower slot never registers the ram. It worked when i first installed it, i just noticed tonight that it only had 512 listed in the system profiler. The PB has been pretty laggy the last few days too.

Reading some other online forums, the problem i am having is identical to that of hundreds of others. Apple won't acknowledge the ones that they havent already. I base my opinion on the fact that they never extended the iBook logic board recall that affected hundreds more than what they covered.

I suppose i could give them a call, or run to the apple store tomorrow to see what i can do.

P.S. the PB is over a year old, without applecare, and i wont be able to have it repaired under warranty unless they eextend their replacement program.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely bring it in to the Apple store and try to get it fixed under the repair program. Assume it is covered and see what they come back with. Maybe, at the very least, if it is a similiar issue than one they are openly repairing, you can get a deal on the repair.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: