123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Processor?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfohl3r

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Processor? Reply with quote

Did anyone hear what processor is in the Apple TV? I read on the Apple website that it is powered by an "Intel Processor" but nothing specific. Do you think its a normal x86 chip, or do you think its one of those Xscale processors?

Also, I read somewhere that Intel stated they did not make the processor in the iPhone. I'm not sure who all makes processors in smartphones, but do you think there could be a G4 processor in there? Very Happy Or do you think Apple is bringing OS X to yet another platform?
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably just a custom embedded chip from Intel. Maybe something based on Viiv technology. But I guess we won't really know until someone tries to crack the Apple TV open and upgrade the hard drive. Laughing
iLife's a Bitch!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
But I guess we won't really know until someone tries to crack the Apple TV open and upgrade the hard drive. Laughing

Has anyone seen a picture of the bottom of the Apple TV? I wonder if it uses the same type clips as the Mac mini.
Yingling

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the ATV but the iPhone is supposed to have a Samsung processor, as does the iPod.

http://www.engadget.com
Quote:
The iPhone (no, not that iPhone, or this one either) is powered by an Intel processor, right? Afterall, Steve Jobs told us all himself that one of the major reasons for making the switch to Intel was due to their sexy silicon roadmap. Well you, and pretty much everyone else would be wrong. The all seeing, all powerful iPhone -- just like the iPod -- is powered by a Samsung processor according to an Apple spokeswoman speaking to Reuters. FBR Research believes that the remaining major components are supplied by Marvell (802.11), Infineon Technologies (baseband), Broadcom Corp. (touch screen controller), and Cambridge Silicon Radio (Bluetooth). However, we won't know for sure until the iPhone undergoes the knife.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: