123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Belkin USB 2.0 and FireWire 6-Port Hub for Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Gear Guide
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Austin MacTexas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. I ordered the FW/USB combo. Thanks for the tech specs too. I did not know that about FW. 45 watts eh?
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use firewire when possible. It always seems to recognize devices better than USB.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sobiloff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: I got mine! Reply with quote

I received my FW/USB hub today and hooked it up. Overall, I'm pretty happy, but I do have a few nits:

1) I really would like an additional Firewire port in the back. The one port that is available is used for my external hard drives, but I'd like a second port so that I can leave my iPod dock plugged in all the time. (Unfortunately, one of my external drives does not have a second Firewire port, so it has to sit at the end of the chain, leaving no free plugs for my iPod dock. And, yes, I'll probably end up getting a USB dock cable to replace the Firewire one.) I'd like to keep the front Firewire port open for my DV and still cameras.

2) The brightness of the LED doesn't match my mini's; the LED on the Belkin hub is dimmer at an angle, but brighter straight-on. (Yes, this is a very minor nit!)

3) The hub doesn't have any flanges on the top that help you perfectly center your Mini on top of it, so if you're picky you'll waste some time getting the two perfectly aligned.

4) Contrary to devo's report, there is *no* power jack on the back. There are only two Firewire ports (one six-pin and one four-pin) and four USB ports. It'd be nice if there was an option for power, though!
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I got mine! Reply with quote

sobiloff wrote:
4) Contrary to devo's report, there is *no* power jack on the back. There are only two Firewire ports (one six-pin and one four-pin) and four USB ports. It'd be nice if there was an option for power, though!

That was explained in my post:
homerjatmoes wrote:
The USB 2.0 only model has a power supply connection, the Firewire/USB hub does not, is not needed because it is pulling power from Firewire (which supplies more power than USB). Firewire can provide up to 45 Watts at up to 40 Volts, the mini's port is 12volts and up to 8 watts. USB on the other hand supplies 5 volts and a max of 0.5 amps or 2.5 watts.

So you do not need a power adapter at all!!

As for looks and matching the mini stride for stride it does not. It's an addon for a computer, not a vintage car restoration. If the "unspoiled" look of the mini is what you want look elswhere. Me, I want function and looks a distant second. I do not sit and stare at my mini for hours, I use it.

Having a FireWire and a USB port on the front is worth the "spoiled" look.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I got mine! Reply with quote

sobiloff wrote:

Glad you cleared that up. The picture has a power in jack on the web right side and it says (Power in - 9V/3.8A) Maybe it was a prototype model.
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I got mine! Reply with quote

devo wrote:

Glad you cleared that up. The picture has a power in jack on the web right side and it says (Power in - 9V/3.8A) Maybe it was a prototype model.

Belkin makes two models USB/FireWire model and a USB only model. The pictures are of the USB only model that you can add a power adapter to boost available power to run un-powered USB devices.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
castufari

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if both had power so you could use a wallwart if you wanted to. I have a bunch of stuff hanging off my USB ports, I'd like not to have to suck the mini's power dry. Smile
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

castufari wrote:
It would be nice if both had power so you could use a wallwart if you wanted to. I have a bunch of stuff hanging off my USB ports, I'd like not to have to suck the mini's power dry. Smile

Are all the devices unpowered? Only unpowered devices (mouse, keyboard, thumb drive, zip drive, etc...) draw current from the USB bus. Anything that has it's own power does not draw power from the USB bus (printers, scanners, etc..)

If the extra power from the FireWire port is not enough you could add the externally powered USB only version
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
castufari

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Ordered! Reply with quote

ordered my 6 port this morning, it should be here next week. 12 hours until I'll be in the same area as my mini, which is currently being used by a coworker.
resuna

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: I got mine! Reply with quote

sobiloff wrote:
2) The brightness of the LED doesn't match my mini's; the LED on the Belkin hub is dimmer at an angle, but brighter straight-on. (Yes, this is a very minor nit!)

It's a big one for me, because mine's on a shelf. It's bright enough to be distracting. I've put something in front of it for now but I will have to jam a bit of photographic gel or something over the LED eventually.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: I got mine! Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
sobiloff wrote:

It's a big one for me, because mine's on a shelf. It's bright enough to be distracting. I've put something in front of it for now but I will have to jam a bit of photographic gel or something over the LED eventually.

I really don't mind the LED. I think the brightness, color, size and location of the hub's LED all match the Mac mini's LED. Maybe I just got lucky with mine as far as the brightness goes. Gotta say I'm pretty happy with mine. I thought the thing was going to feel like a hollow plastic piece of crap, but it doesn't. It's really solid and well made as far as hubs go. By the way, you were right about the hub being powered by Firewire. USB won't work unless you have the Firewire plugged in.
iLife's a Bitch!
resuna

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I got mine! Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I really don't mind the LED. I think the brightness, color, size and location of the hub's LED all match the Mac mini's LED.

Oh yeh, it's all in the wrist action. Hem, I mean, the position of the hub. It looks like they couldn't get it quite as close to the outside as in the mini, so they brightened it up a bit to make it look the same at an angle.

If you've got it at the right angle, you win.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I got mine! Reply with quote

resuna wrote:

Oh yeh, it's all in the wrist action. Hem, I mean, the position of the hub. It looks like they couldn't get it quite as close to the outside as in the mini, so they brightened it up a bit to make it look the same at an angle.

It might be just a tad to the left of the Mac mini's LED. It's damm close! Although, I have a migraine today and seem a little off myself. Razz
iLife's a Bitch!
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I got mine! Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
sobiloff wrote:

I took a black sharpie to it and it dimmed down fine, not that i was bothered by it I just wanted to see the results.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: I got mine! Reply with quote

homerjatmoes wrote:
resuna wrote:
sobiloff wrote:

I took a black sharpie to it and it dimmed down fine, not that i was bothered by it I just wanted to see the results.

What were the results?

I might have spoken too soon. I'm hearing the high frequency noise some people are talking about. I can hear it make a few high pitch beeps when connecting something to the front USB port. It doesn't to it with the front Firewire port. There are two or three high pitch beeps when you first connect something. The noise goes away after about 5 seconds so I'm not going to worry about it.
iLife's a Bitch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Gear Guide All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: