123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XtremeMac Announces Apple TV Cables and HDMI Switcher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: XtremeMac Announces Apple TV Cables and HDMI Switcher Reply with quote

XtremeMac Announces Apple TV Cables and HDMI Switcher
Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Posted by: Glenn

XtremeMac today introduced a line of home audio and video cables today, developed to complement Apple's new Apple TV. The XtremeHD product line delivers high-end audio and video cables, and a four-port HDMI switcher at prices below the industry average. The XtremeHD product line offers the cables necessary for consumers to integrate Apple TV into their HD home entertainment system, utilizing any of the connectivity options Apple TV provides. This includes HDMI to HDMI ($19.95), HDMI to DVI ($19.95), Component Video ($19.95), Toslink Optical Audio ($19.95), and RCA stereo ($14.95) cables.

The XtremeHD four port HDMI switcher ($99.95) provides expansion capability to home entertainment systems with limited HDMI inputs. Up to four HDMI sources, such as Apple TV, DVD players, satellite systems and digital video recorders, can be connected to the HDMI switcher. The HDMI switcher then connects to a single HDMI input on televisions and home entertainment receivers. Any one of the four sources can be selected using the button on the front of the HDMI switcher or via the included remote control. The HDMI switcher shares the same footprint as Apple TV, allowing them to be stacked.

The XtremeHD Toslink optical audio cable includes a 3.5 mm optical audio jack adapter, which enables users to connect any Apple product with a 3.5 mm optical digital audio output jack or Toslink output, including Apple TV to a home entertainment system. This also includes all current Apple computers and Airport Express. In addition to enabling users to connect Apple TV to a television with a DVI input, the HDMI to DVI cable can also be used to connect a Mac mini with DVI output to home entertainment systems.

The entire product line will be available in February.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/592.html

Last edited by admin on Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the HDMI switcher going to be the same size as the AppleTV?
If it is, then that would be a little perfect device/accessory to sit underneath it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably won't even get apple tv (at least not at first) but I'll probably get that switcher, looks much nicer than other one and you can never have enough hdmi ports.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecking wrote:
I probably won't even get apple tv (at least not at first) but I'll probably get that switcher, looks much nicer than other one and you can never have enough hdmi ports.
Very true, never enough HDMI ports. It does look pretty nice. Like I said, I wonder if it can sit below the Apple TV? 'Cause they would like nice stacked together.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I missing something? Quoting from the initial post:

The HDMI switcher shares the same footprint as Apple TV, allowing them to be stacked.

Doug
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming the cable quality is adequate, the prices are certainly attractive compared to other name-brand cables, especially the HDMI-related ones. I have the "kit" for iPod users, whatever the formal name is, and all of those cables seem to be fine - and a bargain compared to buying a cable at a time.

I wonder if they'll do a "kit" here, too? Probably not, since the cables are larely overlapping, not complementary, unless you want white cables throughout your HT/HDTV setup. (Actually I'd rather have black, they hide better!)

Doug
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Is the HDMI switcher going to be the same size as the AppleTV?
If it is, then that would be a little perfect device/accessory to sit underneath it.

admin wrote:
The HDMI switcher shares the same footprint as Apple TV, allowing them to be stacked.

I will buy the HDMI switcher if the price is right. HDMI looks and sounds great, and keeps cable clutter to a minimum. Plus, my TV only has 3 HDMI inputs. I have 5 devices that I want to use.

DirectTV HD box
PS3
Sony DVD changer
Apple TV
Windows Vista PC Wink Laughing
kbulava
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a dvi switcher would be nice.

i'd like to my comcast hd box and mini thru dvi. but my tv only has 1 dvi connection. so i use it for my mini and component for the hd box...i also have an lg upconverting dvd player connected thru component, but it has hdmi output id like to utilize as well. unfortunately my tv doesnt have an hdmi port.

then again if i just got the westinghouse 42" with 2 dvi ports and 1 hdmi input everything would be peachy.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I didn't even read the whole thing. Just clicked the links and read the prices. Laughing
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I have 5 devices that I want to use.

DirectTV HD box
PS3
Sony DVD changer
Apple TV
Windows Vista PC Wink Laughing
Ever plan on getting one of those updated 360s with the HDMI (if it happens)?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecking wrote:

Does it pass Audio and video?
castaway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbulava wrote:
i'd like to my comcast hd box and mini thru dvi. but my tv only has 1 dvi connection.

You might be able to work it out with this switcher and a HDMI to DVI cable or two. Do you have HDMI on your TV or just DVI?

Scarpad wrote:

Does it pass Audio and video?

HDMI does both.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see the price the other day. It looks like it's going to cost $100. That ain't too bad.
kbulava
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

castaway wrote:
Do you have HDMI on your TV or just DVI?

just dvi. i've heard of a lot of overscan issues tho when using converting cables. at least with the mini, which i'd have to do too. so i'd need one dvi-hdmi cable for my cable box and another for the mini. then a hdmi-dvi cable to the tv. i just think thats a lot of converting. the only the hdmi native is my dvd player.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: