123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Intros New AirPort Extreme with 802.11n
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wireless backup.......Hasta la Vista hubs... I see freed up ports in my near future.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but as long as you don't lose your backup and your main drives at the same time, then it is all good. Cool
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks like a scale for weighing drugs. i mean not that id know or anything...
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbulava wrote:
that looks like a scale for weighing drugs. i mean not that id know or anything...

No it doesn't.

Not that I'd know or anything Wink
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe steroids for AhhNold...J/K Laughing

The scale can depend on the drug, some need more accurate scales than the others... while some don't need a scale, as it is determined by the individual seller who determines the size and price, based on what he/she pays for it. Simple supply and demand goes into figuring of the price. I'm sure you won't find people measuring marijuana or anything...

But not that I would know.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Interesting that the AirPort was able to keep the dimensions of the Mini 6.5x6.5, unlike the AppleTV.

I think they'd have a tough time with the sheer number of A/V connectors on the back, most of which can't easily be miniaturized. Or, it may relate to internal component sizes.

Doug
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe so. It could have been just a little thicker and less width.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

myminirocks wrote:
Is it just me but have they once again not included airtunes with the main base station?

No AirTunes or Gigabit Ethernet. Sad
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why they don't use Gigabit, because the internet is not nearly that fast, but for having a USB hub and it having 802.11n, that seems like a cut corner.

-jb
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbstingray wrote:
I can see why they don't use Gigabit, because the internet is not nearly that fast, but for having a USB hub and it having 802.11n, that seems like a cut corner.

-jb

True, but it's also about moving large files and video around over Ethernet. After all, every Mac from the Mac mini to the Mac Pro includes Gigabit Ethernet. That being said, I'm sure most people will use wireless. Every Mac comes with that too. Very Happy
offa_broadway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I think is most kickass about this, aside from the obvious performance improvement, is that it's $50 cheaper than the outgoing model, and it looks WAY cooler. With this, and the Apple TV taking styling cues from the Mini, I think we can expect that the Mini will be around in it's current form factor for at least another year. Why mess with success?

I am curious about the AirPort Enabler software, however. It seems nothing with CoreDuo supports it, but Core2Duo and Xeon systems will. Now does this mean that the increased range (what I'm really interested in) will not be of any benefit to my Mini, or that the speed (which I can live with) will simply be limited to 54Mb/s but with the range of a 802.11n network?

Food for thought at any rate. And why no gigabit ethernet? Seems silly considering every Mac comes equipped for it. Why would I want an ugly D-Link router for my gigabit wired connections and a beautiful AirPort base for my wireless when I could just combine the two?

MacBook Core2Duo 2.0/1Gb Superdrive
MacMini CoreDuo 1.66/Superdrive - Sold
Logitech Z4-i Sound System
iPod Nano 1Gb, Black
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Maybe so. It could have been just a little thicker and less width.

My thoughts exactly. Now I have to design a new mount specific to the Apple TV. Shocked
idek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new products seem great, but I have to agree that mac hasn't got all of their products on the same page. Different formats (mini vs appletv), non-standard wired speed, no ability to get airtunes in the n router, and lack of support for n on older products. And no ability to pvr with the apple tv, I was really hoping for that. You'd think they'd have a usb wireless-n device on sale with this router. Or the n card replacement for the mini's. I'd definitely think about getting the router if I could upgrade my wireless.

BTW, I like how they haven't updated the text on the Airport extreme card right next to the new airport extreme base station
Quote:
Based on a new high-speed wireless technology called 802.11g...

TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like about the same size as a Apple TV or Mac mini...
heulenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: 802.11 alphabet soup Reply with quote

You won't get any of the benefits of N (speed or range) with your mini unless someone releases an N adapter for the mini. MIMO only helps if its present on both ends. In fact, just having a non-N device on your network will disable N for any other devices on your network and bring all clients down to the slowest letter in use (if one system is stuck with 802.11b, all are stuck with 802.11b while it is connected).

offa_broadway wrote:
Now does this mean that the increased range (what I'm really interested in) will not be of any benefit to my Mini, or that the speed (which I can live with) will simply be limited to 54Mb/s but with the range of a 802.11n network?

Why does this matter? It matters because you're not going to be able to stream hi-def content over anything less than N with security enabled without some serious buffering delays. That, to me, makes the apple tv solution far less attractive than it could be. I don't really want to have to buy a new wireless AP just to run apple tv. It would be nice to know that, if I did buy the new airport, there would be some noticeable benefit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: