123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Announces Apple TV
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Eldred wrote:
I think a lot of the criiticism of the Apple TV features/capabilities is missing the point. Apple is trying to create a $299 easy-to-use home appliance for consumers who simply want to access video etc. residing on one computer on their TV/audio setup in some other location.

To expect it to equal or exceed HTPC setups isn't realistic. For the target audience, this is cheaper and easier to use than a Mac Mini (or whatever); for "power users" a Mini will definitely better.
It does seem that way. A lot of people think it has a chip and a hard drive in it... they want it to do more. I think it is a little on the expensive side, but it is still in a OK price range. Not everyone wants to have their computer in the living room. People just want access to their media. This is the perfect way to do it. I'm sure it might not be the most handy to Mac Mini owners, but for all the other Mac owners.. That is who this is for. And lets face it, there are many more notebook sales than any desktop sales. I see the perfect way to do things is to have your media to go on a MacBook or MacBook Pro. Then when you get home, you can easily stream/sync it to your TV.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Apple TV will play DivX if you have the components installed? I've already read Video_TS folders are a no go.
kbulava
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah this product just isnt for me. i can see it working with a nice notebook or something though. and i like the design.
jayhead000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
Can I watch IPTV? YouTube? Google Video?

No?

Unless I'm missing something, I'm not interested, and very disappointed.

Confused

Jamie

haha just get a Nintendo Wii! Razz i watch youtube and google video in the living room all the time... looks pretty good (as good as streaming video can) ... wish the wii would get IPTV compatibility too, but it would probably require an external attatchment via USB because of storage issues...

I agree with alot of you.. where is the Tuner and IPTV capabilities? well can answer my own question this time... Apple will Undoubtly release a revision in the near future that will have all this.. i think the current version is just to get the product out there before they loose anymore ground to other "media Centers". The revision will prbably have 2 times the storage and all the other "necessities" the first wave is lacking... yay I love being an apple fan!!!!!! Razz (patience is key Wink )

BTW wouldn't it be great to stream vids from your iPhone to the iTV? Shocked
SuperDrive
100GB HD
15" LG Monitor
16 GB iPod touch (free!!)
3rd gen. iPod Shuffle
groups.myspace.com/wiianon
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching video on the Wii is OK at best. Even if you have a big TV, it is nothing compared to a dedicated video device or computer. After all, you have those huge buttons on the screen that take a decent amount of real estate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: