123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Logitech Harmony remote (setup guide to replicate the Apple)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesE

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Logitech Harmony remote (setup guide to replicate the Apple) Reply with quote

I own a Logitech Harmony 525 remote control and I thought I would share with you my experience of setting it up to replicate the Apple remote.

After adding the Mac Mini as a new device I found that the commands for the Apple remote were not in the database. This was not a big problem as there is only 6 keys to learn however, as the keys can send a different command depending on how long the key is pressed, all but the "Menu" key need to be learnt twice due to the way the Harmony remote works.

The first thing to do is cover up the Mac Mini's Infared port (to stop it receiving the commands while learning).

Next go to "Devices" and select "Learn IR" for the Mac Mini (or whatever you have called it)

At the bottom of the page in the "Learn a New Command" box type in the name of the first key, "PlayPause" and then click "Learn New Command".

This is the important part. While learning this command, Do NOT keep this key pressed. Press it quick so that it just 'clicks' and then release.

Now do the same for the remaining five keys and name these, "NextTrack", "PreviousTrack", "VolUp", "VolDown", and "Menu".

Now go to the "Learn a New Command" box again and type in "FastForward" and then click "Learn New Command". For this you need to learn the "NextTrack" command but, This time HOLD the key for about 2 seconds.

Do the same for the remaining keys like this.

"Rewind" use the "PreviousTrack" key.
"VolUPHold" use the "VolUp" key.
"VolDownHold" use the "VolDown" key.
"MacMiniSleep" use the "PlayPause" key.

Click "Done" when your err! Done

Now they need to be assigned to the keys on the Harmony remote.

In "Devices" click "Settings" for the Mac Mini and select "Change the behavior of buttons".

You can do this however you want but this is how I have my Harmony set up (from top down).

"VolUP" to "Volume Up"

"VolDown" to "Volume Down"

"VolUPHold" to "Channel Up"

"VolDownHold" to "Channel Down"

"VolUP" to "Direction Up"

'VolDown" to "Direction Down"

"NextTrack" to "Right"

"PreviousTrack" to "Left"

"Menu" to "Menu"

"NextTrack'" to "Skip Forward"

"PreviousTrack" to "Skip Back"

"PlayPause" to "Play"

"Rewind" to "Rewind"

"FastForward" to "Fast Forward"

"PlayPause" to "Pause"

And finally "MacMiniSleep" to a "Custom Button Label" named "MacMiniSleep"

Click "Done" and your almost finished.

In "Devices" click "Settings" for the Mac Mini and select "Adjust the delays (speed settings)", Set the "Inter-Key Delay" to 0-ms.

Click "Done" and update the remote.

On the Harmony remote go into Devices and check it is working as it should be.

Press the Menu key to take you to Front-Row, Now by using the directional keys you can navigate through Front-Row. With the Channel UP/Down keys you can navigate fast and faster when held just like with the Apple remote and if you keep the MacMiniSleep key pressed well, the rest is obvious.

All that is left to do is set up this device as part of an "Activity" to make use of the rest of your AV equipment.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info, thanks! My Mini isn't in the same room as my HT with Harmony setup, but eventually it will be, and this is quite useful.
BigLee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this. I am seriously considering buying one of Harmony remotes so this will be very handy!
JamesE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome.
idek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a non intel mac, does anyone know if there is a cheap IR sensor you can buy to hook up so I can use a harmony for my mac? I don't want to buy a separate remote for the mac and then just use the sensor. I guess I could just get the cheapest one out there, but I just figured some one must sell an IR receiver.

Thanks
khisayruou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

idek wrote:
I have a non intel mac, does anyone know if there is a cheap IR sensor you can buy to hook up so I can use a harmony for my mac?

An option that I know of is to use software such as Mira or Remote Buddy, both allow the use of the apple remote with a supported usb ir receiver. Twistedmelon (maker of mira) sells an ir receiver. Problem is, you still need the apple remote so that the harmony can "learn" the IR signals.
idek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for the info. Good point on needing the remote to learn the commands. I haven't bought a harmony yet, but I thought they maintianed a DB. I would think that they should have those commands in there pretty soon.

Either way, it's good to know that I can get the reciever, I'll figure out how to get the commands, even if I have to go to an apple store and steal the commands Wink
JamesE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logitech do have a DB. Usually you select a type of device eg: CD Player, then the manufacturer and then the model number. I tried lots of different types of devices to try and find Mac Mini but for some reason it just didn't find it.

I went through a fair bit of trial and error before I got it right, hence the guide.
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too found it tough to get Logitech to know about an Apple Remote. If you enter the computer via model number, it'll supposedly know about the remote, but in my experience it still doesn't seem to work, though that may be how it decided to map the keys not being what I expected. I've seen other folks suggest claiming to have an iPod dock; haven't tried that.

Thanks for the OP; I'll have to give that a try. I can live with not having the Harmony do 100.000% of everything, but more than nothing would be a major step forward!

Doug
ShaneHale

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a huge media center. Infact right now it consists of an LCD, Sony Reciever, and my Mini, but I just can find myself spending using a logitec or universal remote with it.

I really like the Phillips Pronto, but at a $300+ price tag is difficult to swallow. So I've been playing with a retired iPaq which can run remote software.

- shane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaneHale wrote:

I really like the Phillips Pronto, but at a $300+ price tag is difficult to swallow. So I've been playing with a retired iPaq which can run remote software.

- shane

That's interesting. I Have a Harmanoy 668 (or some 6 series) and I'm not convinced by it (not teletext buttons in the UK).

Which iPaq are you using? Which software? I have a 4150 which I still use daily but aside from being in use, it has poor IR capabilities.

I would consider purchasing an older/2nd hand iPaq qith decent IR
JamesE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean it doesn't have the Red, Yellow, Green and Blue buttons. My 525 has them, can you not just make them into custom buttons.
Jowl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:
Do you mean it doesn't have the Red, Yellow, Green and Blue buttons. My 525 has them, can you not just make them into custom buttons.

Yes, thats right - no coloured buttons. Do you mean the 525 coloured buttons world ok with text/digital text.

I'm not keen on the layout of the 668 either
JamesE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes my coloured buttons work as they should. I don't use teletext, but they work with the Freeview (DTV) tuner that's built into my TV and they also work with Sky satellite.
Jowl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, Thanks.

Might have to look into a 525 then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: