123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LaCie Unveils Six New Products
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: LaCie Unveils Six New Products Reply with quote

LaCie Unveils Six New Products
Thursday, January 4, 2007
Posted by: Brian

LaCie today introduced six new products to help people easily manage their digital lives, from professionals to everyday users. The new products announced today include: LaCie d2 Blu-ray Drive (pre-order for US$1,149); LaCie Quadra Hard Drive (the 500GB version is available today for $299); LaCie d2 SAFE Hard Drive (the 500GB version is available today for $299); LaCie Ethernet Disk mini & Ethernet Big Disk (available today for $199 - 250GB, $249 - 320GB, $299 - 500GB, $349 - 640GB, and $499 - 1TB); LaCie Ethernet Disk RAID (no pricing announced); and LaCie FireWire Speakers (available today for $79).

LaCie US CEO Scott Phillips said, "These six new products are representative of what you can expect to see from LaCie in 2007. We will expand our professional ranges such as networking, RAID and biometrics, while continuing to offer extremely competitive pricing for consumer products. LaCie is your one-stop shop for storage and high-end peripherals."

The new products will make their debut at Macworld Expo in San Francisco's Moscone Center from January 9-12.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/584.html
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how the speakers sound. (yes, out of everything announced, I'm interested in the speakers Laughing ) Seems like a good idea, so they don't take up another power outlet.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the speakers were an interesting product offering. They look cool. Kind of like a periscope.

LaCie is my favorite company next to Apple. I'm excited about all this new stuff especially the Blu-ray burner. It's very pricey at the moment Shocked

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeffy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there other Firewire speakers out there? I don't think I have ever seen them before.
kbulava
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those speakers look like exhaust ports on a cruise ship, not impressed.
Jeffy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbulava wrote:
those speakers look like exhaust ports on a cruise ship

Laughing

They do, but I like the tubular look. It also makes a lot of sense pointing the speakers up. Hey, I don't think they are as ugly as some of those new JBLs.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
I wonder how the speakers sound. (yes, out of everything announced, I'm interested in the speakers Laughing ) Seems like a good idea, so they don't take up another power outlet.

Same here, the speakers peaked my interest. Although the Blu-Ray is cool, I think I'll hold out untill there about 200-300 bucks. As these things go that may only be a year or so down the road.

I've seen some home players for Blu-Ray on sale already for $699 so I bet I am not far off on that prediction.

-Hackermovie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
I think I'll hold out untill there about 200-300 bucks. As these things go that may only be a year or so down the road.

I've seen some home players for Blu-Ray on sale already for $699 so I bet I am not far off on that prediction.

-Hackermovie

I agree. Especially given that HD-DVD is entering the market. The competition to gain market share should bring drive and media prices down quickly.
Jeffy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:
I think I'll hold out untill there about 200-300 bucks. As these things go that may only be a year or so down the road.

-Hackermovie

I agree. Especially given that HD-DVD is entering the market. The competition to gain market share should bring drive and media prices down quickly.

Yeah, and that 200-300 dollar player might end up working with both formats. I think it's too early to jump on the HD DVD or Blu-ray bandwagon.

I also think it will be interesting to see if Apple offers Blu-ray in any of their systems next week.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the speakers mostly because I have my Mini connected to my Denon. But I don't always want to use the Denon, neither does my girlfriend. The internal speaker can let out music, but the sound is so chintzy. Just gives me another option. Plus it helps it doesn't take a power plug spot, because I honestly wouldn't have room for it.

If I was going to buy a player, I'd probably buy something upcoming at CES. Even then still, if the studios get their act together, my future expensive player would benefit from the option of future discs.

As for Blu-Ray. If they can squeeze one of those into a PS3 (sexy slot-loading on top of that), along with a Cell chip and the RSX GPU, among other hundred things. Then only lose $200 per unit. Then they definitely can give us cheaper Blu-Ray drives. (of course that is going from a reader to a writer, but still, it's only a matter of time for $$ savings)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting speakers. I wonder what the advantages of using the Firewire interface over USB are (if any).

I hope we'll see High Def DVD burning drives do both HD-DVD and BluRay in a few years. Dual format High Def DVD players have been announced from LG, so maybe burners will follow suit soon.

I really like that LaCie Quadra. I am considering adding an eSATA card to my MBP for future storage, and retiring some of my Firewire peripherals, but it would be nice to still use the drives on a non eSATA machine.
diulei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbulava wrote:
those speakers look like exhaust ports on a cruise ship, not impressed.

Exactly what I was thinking! Very Happy

I've also heard LaCie drives fail quite often - is this just an unfounded rumor...?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diulei wrote:
I've also heard LaCie drives fail quite often - is this just an unfounded rumor...?

Totally unfound... you can look back at previous threads were everyone sings praises about LaCie drives.

Take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt. Sure some products are plain garbage, but LaCie products surely are not. In my opinion LaCie products equal Apple products in many ways. Keep in mind LaCie would not likely be the company manufacturing the drive.
Zalez

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget about the cost of blank Blu-ray discs. You don't want to burn any coasters with those babies.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zalez wrote:
Don't forget about the cost of blank Blu-ray discs. You don't want to burn any coasters with those babies.

That would suck!

I remember selling CD-R drives at $1000 and blanks at $20.

I rarely get bad burns, but at 30 cents a piece on DVD blanks, I don't even think about it when I throw a bad disk in the trash. Anything more than $1 would annoy me if if it didn't work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: