123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini Core 2 Duo Refurbs and Rebates
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leopard it rumoured to be coming out on Oct. 26 according to MacNN. This is believable. Even though it may be coming out in 3 more weeks, I'm seriously considering ordering a refurb. The 1.83 is no longer available on the Canadian Apple site, but the 2.0 is. I get University prices, so the worst I'd do is pay the same as if I waited. But I would probably order the family pack anyway, so the $100+ saving would be real. The question is whether it's worth putting Leopard on G4 Macs because if not, I will only have two Intel Macs after buying a mini. Also, I don't need the superdrive in the 2.0 and the extra 40 gb in that model isn't necessary either, so is the extra $200 worth it? I'm tempted to wait until the 1.83 shows up again for refurbs and buy that. Decisions, decisions.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Leopard it rumoured to be coming out on Oct. 26 according to MacNN. This is believable. Even though it may be coming out in 3 more weeks, I'm seriously considering ordering a refurb. The 1.83 is no longer available on the Canadian Apple site, but the 2.0 is. I get University prices, so the worst I'd do is pay the same as if I waited. But I would probably order the family pack anyway, so the $100+ saving would be real. The question is whether it's worth putting Leopard on G4 Macs because if not, I will only have two Intel Macs after buying a mini. Also, I don't need the superdrive in the 2.0 and the extra 40 gb in that model isn't necessary either, so is the extra $200 worth it? I'm tempted to wait until the 1.83 shows up again for refurbs and buy that. Decisions, decisions.

You don't have a friend/family/aquiantance in the States which visits you soon and can bring a 1.83 "budget" mini? Laughing Actually, I don't need the bigger drive and DVD burner, but the pricedifference is 180 euro's, though I like the somewhat faster processor with more cache! Anyway, this might be my son's Mac in a year of 4, 5....In that case he might like that it has a DVD DL burner inside. I own a LaCie D2 with a 'custom built' Pioneer DW 110 D. It used to be a case for a LiteOn CDRW but I guess it can take a blue ray in a couple of year too! Laughing
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the 1.83's are gone. Sad

I hope they come back after Leopard goes on the prowl. Smile
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
Yvan256 wrote:
I think Apple may be in for a little shock with Mac mini sales once Leopard is released...

A lot of people buy the Mac mini because it costs less than other Macs (if you're upgrading from another computer). So, most of us are waiting for Leopard, which is about 20% of the cost of the machine, to buy a Mac mini.

Exactly! That's why I would not buy a refurbished at this time, even when it was $ 125.00 cheaper than a new one Laughing

Actually, you also have to take the price of iLife '08 into account, which means buying another Mac mini is a better value than buying Leopard and iLife '08 separately (since you end up with two computers for only about 60% more).
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:

Actually, you also have to take the price of iLife '08 into account, which means buying another Mac mini is a better value than buying Leopard and iLife '08 separately (since you end up with two computers for only about 60% more).

You know, I did'n even think of that! Very Happy
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
Yvan256 wrote:

You know, I did'n even think of that! Very Happy

(prices in USD)

+599.00$ : Mac mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 GHz
-079.00$ : iLife '08
-129.00$ : Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard (assuming the same price as v10.4 Tiger)

So, either you pay 208$ to upgrade your old computer (mine being a G4/1.42GHz) or you add another 391.00$ to get a Mac mini Core 2 Duo/1.83 GHz... a real bargin IMHO.
cz3ch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
It looks like the 1.83's are gone. Sad

I hope they come back after Leopard goes on the prowl. Smile

They should.... they were gone the other day, then they popped up yesterday and I saw them online at work, when I got home to pull my credit card out... the 1.83s were gone again... keep watching the page.. lol I wrote a script that will parse the refurb page for the 1.83 and email me an alert when it's back on... lol... i'd rather get a deal on the 1.83, upgrade to the pioneer k06 instead of the crummy super drive, up the ram myself, hdd, and be done with it...

Leopard or not... it will be a pretty fast machine for what it is... Smile
serpent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
I think Apple may be in for a little shock with Mac mini sales once Leopard is released...

A lot of people buy the Mac mini because it costs less than other Macs (if you're upgrading from another computer). So, most of us are waiting for Leopard, which is about 20% of the cost of the machine, to buy a Mac mini.

I like this reasoning, but I think everyone who's holding out is gonna be in for a shock! whatcha all gonna do "if" Apple pulls the minis upon Leopards release? Since I'm sure all the refurbs will not have iLife '08 nor will a refurb qualify for a Leo upgrade if Apple decides to offer one.
Like I said earlier I'll bet most of these refurbs aren't even refurbs at all, Apple is just clearing out stock to dump a soon to be dead item.

Serpent
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

serpent wrote:

I like this reasoning, but I think everyone who's holding out is gonna be in for a shock! whatcha all gonna do "if" Apple pulls the minis upon Leopards release? Since I'm sure all the refurbs will not have iLife '08 nor will a refurb qualify for a Leo upgrade if Apple decides to offer one.
Like I said earlier I'll bet most of these refurbs aren't even refurbs at all, Apple is just clearing out stock to dump a soon to be dead item.

Serpent

I'm sure a lot of Apple sellers are very willing to sell an "obsolete" mini, with a Leopard disk as a promotional... Laughing
serpent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:

I'm sure a lot of Apple sellers are very willing to sell an "obsolete" mini, with a Leopard disk as a promotional... Laughing

I highly doubt that. Re-sellers have already been warned not to replenish their mini stock. So they would have to be nuts not to be promoting it now. I don't see them taking a 130$ hit to sell a mini, unless it's a copy. And I don't see them jepordizing their contract w/Apple doing that.

Serpent
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

serpent wrote:

I highly doubt that. Re-sellers have already been warned not to replenish their mini stock. So they would have to be nuts not to be promoting it now. I don't see them taking a 130$ hit to sell a mini, unless it's a copy. And I don't see them jepordizing their contract w/Apple doing that.

Serpent

In that case I would like to buy that mini for less, as it is not normal stock anymore. One see that happening with the older Macbooks and CoreDuo mini's... Usually they are not sold by the regular Apple shops though...
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

serpent wrote:

I like this reasoning, but I think everyone who's holding out is gonna be in for a shock!

I don't think so. Apple isn't going to pull their least expensive machine at the same time they introduce Leopard. I think that would be seen as such a slimy move. My bet is there will be new Mac minis or a replacement offered on the 26th. Assuming that is the day Leopard comes out.
iLife's a Bitch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: