123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firefox or Safari?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianbelcher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Firefox or Safari? Reply with quote

Which do you prefer and why?
WC3_Gamer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have safari yet cause I don't have my mini yet lol, but I've used it at COMPUSA's and Apple Stores. Personally, Mozilla Firefox I think is better. Not because of just the simple interface, but because with extensions (mini apps for in ur firefox browser), mozilla firefox is awesome. I have one's that alert me when I recieve an email, have the whole browser border in a cool color and alot more. With extensions, mozilla can be completely customizable, there's thousands! Very Happy
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Safari for the Snapback feature and I was able to customize my F1,F2,F3 buttons to easily view all the posts on this site.

Click here if you want more info.
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefox by a long shot. I am able to use it on 3 different platforms (Windows, Linux, and OS X) There are many, many, many more extensions and they are all FREE, BBCodeXtra is immensly handy while repling in foums and on Slashdot.

It may use more memory than safari, but to me it is much more useful.

I also prefer Thunderbird and Sunbird because of the portability across platforms.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RogerC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried them all, and I like Shiira the best.

http://hmdt-web.net/shiira/index-e.html

Tabbed windows
Bookmark management
Sharing bookmarks with Safari
Side drawer showing bookmarks and history
Bookmarks toolbar
Search field with choice of search engine
Customizing toolbar
Cache control panel
Window appearance switching (Aqua and Metal)
Toolbar icons switching
Removing Cookie and cache at the termination
Displaying favicon list
Enable/disable favicon with bookmark
Help document (Japanese only)
Multiple source windows per one browser window
Displaying HTTP header in source window
Wheel button operation (open in new tab, and tab switching)
Auto-tab for bookmark folder
Displaying back-forward list on toolbar buttons
Search text field for bookmark and history
Implemented printing feature
Integrated download features to the side bar
Supported the browse mode feature which opens a link always in the same tab, always in a new tab, or always in a new background tab
Improved drag and drop for a link and a bookmark
The capacity of memory and disk cache are changeable
Changed the application icon
Improved stability
Supported French, German, Spanish, Italian, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Portuguese, Swedish, and Dutch.
0.9.4 supports following features.

"Tab Exposé" which shows all tabs on the screen
Bookmarklet
Make Web page PDF without pagination
Customizing fonts and colors of the HTML source
Sidebar preferences
Large image auto-resizing
Supports IDN (International Domain Name)
Supports cURL
New toolbar icon suites
Supports Growl
Resizable search field on the toolbar
e3mw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bandit over there, Safari's Snapback makes it really useful for browsing sites like 123MacMini and others. Safari also has a smaller memory footprint than Mozilla I believe. However, for my PC Mozilla is my default, less spyware and popups are the main reasons.
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Redge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't try Shiira but it seems so be a very good Browser. But if you want somehing else than Safari why not give Camino a try? Unlike Firefox (who need more RAM, just check the system monitor), Camino is made for OSX only. Camino is also made by the Mozilla team! That's the browser I'm using right now and I won't go back to Firefox in OSX.
slickrick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone using Opera?
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redge wrote:
I didn't try Shiira but it seems so be a very good Browser. But if you want somehing else than Safari why not give Camino a try? Unlike Firefox (who need more RAM, just check the system monitor), Camino is made for OSX only. Camino is also made by the Mozilla team! That's the browser I'm using right now and I won't go back to Firefox in OSX.

Although there are add on tools for Camino I'll take the memory hit, I bought more RAM I'm going to use it. Camino does not support XUL so it does not support extensions, and there are a few that I am lost without. You can really get hooked on them. But if you are used to less features then it is not a problem. I have 20 extensions on my PC at work from Web Development aids to controling iTunes to being notified of new Gmail. I could not imagine searching without the Googlebar extension searchword higlighting going to google,froogle, images, search the current site, or dictionary search, and no the little search box is no comparison. As for SnapBack, I added the new items since last visit link to the bookmark toolbar.

slickrick wrote:
Is anyone using Opera?

I was one of the first adopters of Opera I purchased version 1, but with as good free choices I don't bother with it any more. I know you can get an ad driven version but that kind of defeats the fact I use adblock in firefox.

Again I can not say enough about bbCodeXtra adding url's and quotes is so much easier.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
panoramical

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefox, by far. Safari is basically the equivalent of Internet Explorer imo. Firefox blocks popups very efficiently, and I like all the extensions you can get for it as well as the tabbed browsing it offes. It just appears such a cleaner program.
mr_ben

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I was a PC user I swore by firefox, now I use safari imo it's just as good for what I need.

Oh dear I'm hooked haha Embarassed
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panoramical wrote:
Firefox, by far. Safari is basically the equivalent of Internet Explorer imo. Firefox blocks popups very efficiently, and I like all the extensions you can get for it as well as the tabbed browsing it offes. It just appears such a cleaner program.

For me it's the brushed metal interface, wich was cool when Os X first came out but now it wears on me a bit since Cocoa apps look much cleaner.

And yes I have tried the de-metalification programs, but I still don't use Safari.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: