123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dell Intros LCD With Built-in Webcam
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Dell Intros LCD With Built-in Webcam Reply with quote

Dell Intros LCD With Built-in Webcam
Saturday, September 29, 2007
Posted by: Glenn

Dell has officially introduced the SP2008WFP, its first desktop LCD monitor with a built-in webcam. The 20" widescreen monitor features a 1680x1050 resolution panel, 2-millisecond response time, 2000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, 300cd/m2 brightness, four USB 2.0 ports, built-in 2.0 megapixel webcam with microphone, and both VGA and DVI (with HDCP) ports. It also features Dell's TrueLife Technology for greater contrast resulting in deeper, more vibrant reds, blues and sparkling whites. The Dell SP2008WFP is available now and priced at $289.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/774.html
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it me, or is the top border too thick compared to the other sides?

Other than that (and the back), the specs seem excellent.
JamesE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's too thick, it looks like it should be flipped round so the top is at the bottom.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
Is it me, or is the top border too thick compared to the other sides?

Yeah, it looks like it's been attached to its bracket upside down. I bet the picture quality is excellent, though. Some people say that Dell screens have a better picture than the Apple Studio Displays - although that might be blastphemy on a site like this! Smile
pasin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Dell Intros LCD With Built-in Webcam Reply with quote

Does anyone knows about the compatibility of the embedded webcam and Apple/MacOS software?
minutePulsations

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it a lot... the extra height at the top doesn't really bother me.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really an attractive display. The extra height at the top wouldn't bother me either. Here's the part that worries me: (I mean aside from not knowing if the webcam works in OS X.) It has a glossy screen. Sad
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really like to know, does the integrated webcam work with OSX? I need a test by an Apple user! Can someone go to a store which has these screens with his iBook/Powerbook without integrated webcam to see if it works? Laughing
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Dell is releasing a 22-incher with a webcam in Japan. I wouldn't doubt that it makes its way over here soon. They also have a new 24". That figures, I just bought one a couple of weeks ago. Laughing

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/11/dells-22-inch-sp2208wfp-with-webcam-and-24-incher-out-in-japan/
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
It looks like Dell is releasing a 22-incher with a webcam in Japan. I wouldn't doubt that it makes its way over here soon. They also have a new 24". That figures, I just bought one a couple of weeks ago. Laughing

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/11/dells-22-inch-sp2208wfp-with-webcam-and-24-incher-out-in-japan/

I like the one with the silver besel, fits my (and Apple's new) style. But now, where to find a nice real aluminum mouse (no, not with black, white or other colors combined) of course wireless and optical, maybe even laser....
bwpritch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SP2008WFP monitor and webcam work great on my G4 mini. However, having trouble getting the built-in mic to work. Have read reports of it working on other macs so it seems to be possible...ideas?
induced

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: sp2208wfp mic issue Reply with quote

The webcam works great, and the mic too, but you have to change a setting to make it work.

1. jump into Audio/Midi Setup (In Applications/Utilities)
2. In the bottom drop down, select properties for "Monitor Webcam"
3. Change the Format from 44100.0 Hz to 48000.0 Hz
That's it

You can see the input level in your system preferences > sound > input with a little monitor showing what's going in. (Basically any program you have with sound input should have a little monitor at least in the setup screen)

I think someone mentioned an echo. You are probably just getting some speaker in your mic. If you are chatting with someone, do them a favor and use some headphones, even the ipod earbuds are better than speakers.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: sp2208wfp mic issue Reply with quote

induced wrote:
The webcam works great, and the mic too, but you have to change a setting to make it work.

Cool! Did you get the 20" or 22" model? How are your viewing angles? I just bought another 24" from Dell, but my sister and brother-in-law are looking at these two models.
RaymondG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanna a bigger screen.24 inch is my goal. Very Happy
Gesiwuj

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very impressed with Dell's screens, as opposed to Apple's.

Firstly, they're much cheaper and don't look that bad (of course Apple's look better, but even they are getting better.

Also, I hear that the picture quality is better on Dell screens – and now they have webcams. I'm sure they'd work on a Mac with macam.

Or you could try a Viewsonic if you want a really nice one, and you're planning on spoiling yourself Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: