123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows Vista
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Windows Vista Reply with quote

Check out these pictures of Windoze Vista. Looks like a big mess! Someone said it has Windoze ME writtten all over it. All the breakthourgh ie Apple rips offs are being stripped out. Check out the search feature in the start menu. Wonder where they got that idea? Laughing

http://news.com.com/2300-1016_3-5805994-1.html

Last edited by devo on Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like XP to me. As for ripping someone off (Konfabulator) they all do it and claim innovation.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for ripping someone off (Konfabulator) they all do it and claim innovation.

That was the worst rip off ever! I felt bad so bad for those guys. This article brings up a good point. When Apple ripped off Konfabulator they forgot to cover their tails. They should've bought them out. "Apple wouldn't be facing a cross-platform Yahoo!-sponsored free version of one of Tiger's most highly talked-up features."

http://www.tuaw.com/2005/07/25/where-apple-went-wrong-with-widgets/
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Quote:
As for ripping someone off (Konfabulator) they all do it and claim innovation.

That was the worst rip off ever! I felt bad so bad for those guys. This article bring up a good point. When Apple ripped off Konfabulator they forgot to cover their tails. They should've bought them out. "Apple wouldn't be facing a cross-platform Yahoo!-sponsored free version of one of Tiger's most highly talked-up features."

http://www.tuaw.com/2005/07/25/where-apple-went-wrong-with-widgets/

Search this forum for my post on this topic, as Apple actually invented Widgets bac in System 1, I think. They were called something different, though. You could actually say that Konfabulator stole the idea from them. I also talked about why they didn't buy out in it.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
aristobrat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Check out the search feature in the start menu. Wonder where they got that idea? Laughing

How about the part where Vista will ask you for your password before doing certain system functions (like installing a program), or smart folders?

I got to attend (for work) one of those travelling shows MS puts on for Longhorn. About a month later I got my mini, which was my first OS X experience. I was FLOORED that 95% of the key points MS was harping on as "what makes Longhorn (Vista) so great" were already in OS X. Rolling Eyes

So far the only "cool" thing I see about Vista is eyecandy -- that the icons for folders actually show what's in the folders, and the icons for some applications will show what's in the file. (i.e. a MS word icon will show the first page of the document).
e3mw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is into Podcasts, last week on "this WEEK in TECH" on Episode 14 John C. Dvorak (love him or hate him) says that he is thoroughly dissapointed with Microsoft and "windows longhorn/vista" saying that he belives that it's just another money-grab for Microsoft and they have pretty much reached the end of their reign.

Frankly...I don't find his statement very far from the truth, with spyware and viruses running absolutely amok on XP systems (and most certainly will infect windows vista systems as well) It's easy to see that Microsoft is on a downhill slope. And Leo Laporte mentions that Microsoft should really consider throwing in the towel and cutting their losses. True this is very unrealistic, but both men have a very good point, in general the public is sick of microsoft and their business practices, and as soon as there is a realistic alternative in sight--- Microsoft is pretty much better suited to making video games. Wink

Here's the excerpt from the show notes:
Quote:
Dvorak says it's over for Microsoft. Leo says they should distribute the profits and call it quits. http://www.thisweekintech.com

I totally agree, we've not seen any innovation out of microsoft for a very long time. And althouth John C. Dvorak isn't the best person to believe, he's certainly got a point. Listen to the podcast when you get a chance.
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle

Last edited by e3mw on Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TheModWiki.org

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup I listen to TWiT.. but Dvorak just hates on everything....seriously

anyways, I am going to have a copy of Vista Beta 1 through my MSDN academic alliance subscription thing soon and my friend and I are planning on writing a review.. I'll let you know how that turns out... there will be tons of screenshots you can count on that.
Maxtor 300GB Ext. FW
Pioneer DVR-K05 SD

www.PaulStamatiou.com , 9rules Network
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheModWiki.org wrote:

He sure hated the original iBooks. I thought he would neve shut up about them!

Quote:
anyways, I am going to have a copy of Vista Beta 1 through my MSDN academic alliance subscription thing soon and my friend and I are planning on writing a review.. I'll let you know how that turns out... there will be tons of screenshots you can count on that.

Just when I'm out....they pull me back in! - Michael Corleone Wink

Last edited by curt on Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
e3mw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheModWiki.org wrote:

Yep, make no mistake there

During that same episode, he's suprisingly light-hearted when talking about the video games/violence debate.. I'll try to remember what he said:

"Games like GTA San Andreas might not make my son go out and steal a car.... but If my son ever did decide to steal cars, he'd be damn good at it!"

Pretty funny coming from him
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kevnin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how can i (legally) attain a copy of vista beta? any other ways besides joining msdn? how much does the student msdn subscription cost? i know one way to get it is through the action pack subscription, which costs $300 a year... great deal btw if you want NFD licenses galore of microsoft's products, but sadly no virtual pc for mac Sad
aristobrat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e3mw wrote:
Frankly...I don't find his statement very far from the truth, with spyware and viruses running absolutely amok on XP systems (and most certainly will infect windows vista systems as well)

Hmmmmm.

With Vista asking for a password before allowing any application to install itself or make any system changes (like OS X does), I'm thinking malware is going to have a much tougher time running absolutely amok than it currently does.
aristobrat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheModWiki.org wrote:

Personally, since a bit of the new functionality of Vista isn't scheduled to be added until Beta 2, I'm going to sit out of Beta 1. Confused

I think it'd be cool to see the new eye candy, but if Vista Beta 1 is anything like XP Beta 1, it's not going to look (or act) much like the final product.
TheModWiki.org

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevnin wrote:
how can i (legally) attain a copy of vista beta? any other ways besides joining msdn? how much does the student msdn subscription cost? i know one way to get it is through the action pack subscription, which costs $300 a year... great deal btw if you want NFD licenses galore of microsoft's products, but sadly no virtual pc for mac Sad

I don't know too much about that... MSDN access came with my CmpE major Very Happy , that's what you get for going to a techy school.
Maxtor 300GB Ext. FW
Pioneer DVR-K05 SD

www.PaulStamatiou.com , 9rules Network
e3mw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aristobrat wrote:
With Vista asking for a password before allowing any application to install itself or make any system changes (like OS X does), I'm thinking malware is going to have a much tougher time running absolutely amok than it currently does.

Hehe, it wont be long before malware creators find a way around that.

Microsoft made XP out to be one of the most secure operating systems of our day, and look where it is now. Malware creators will find ways of getting into Windows Vista systems without a doubt. Microsoft said it themselves (however true/untrue this may be) "We're not the least secure operating system out there, we're just hacked more often." If malware creators wanted to target OS X then all their resources would go into finding ways of invading Apple systems -- but it's just so much easier to target the much larger userbase of Windows.

That being said, everyone can agree that as soon as Windows Vista hits the scene it will be in the crosshairs of every malware creator out there. It won't be long before it becomes just as vulnerable as XP.

I look forward to Vista because I'm the curious type, but i'm not holding out a ton of hope for it... I'm just ready for something at least a bit more secure than XP; however long it lasts.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first person too hack OSX will get a load of recognition. If I were a hacker that's where I'd be focusing my energy. If you made a new hack for Windows it wouldn't even be news.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: