123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No iPhone for you France, just not yet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: No iPhone for you France, just not yet Reply with quote

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/06/iphone-delayed-in-france-due-to-unlocking-laws/
This is an interesting article, they aren't to sure if it's going to affect iPhones in France, but it would be interesting if Apple was forced to sell unlocked iPhones.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
robinscruffy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds awesome! I really hope this law stays put so everyone can get an unlocked iPhone. Honestly it's a stupid idea in the first place to lock it down, look at iPhone's new Nokia competitor which is completely open to everyone (network wise and software as well).
I don't want to be mean but its a fair lesson that Apple have to learn.
- iPod Touch 8GB

Visit www.thebigapples.net Very Happy Podcasts, Videos & more Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
AnthroPC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriousley, if the iPhone came out on the Three network tomorrow, I would cancel my current Three contract and get the iPhone before you could say "hey cool 1000 texts a month for £20"

- thats US$35 by the way
- well no its US$40 but things are a lot cheaper Stateside than they are over here Evil or Very Mad

>> WEBSITE! <<>> TOONS! <<
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: might be more Reply with quote

AnthroPC wrote:
Seriousley, if the iPhone came out on the Three network tomorrow, I would cancel my current Three contract and get the iPhone before you could say "hey cool 1000 texts a month for £20"

- thats US$35 by the way
- well no its US$40 but things are a lot cheaper Stateside than they are over here Evil or Very Mad

Yeah the USD is really starting to blow but might not gain much power for a while, but Americans are locked into low priced gas and services and as result fuel efficiency as a priority suffered for a long time (we need some $4-5 gas prices in smaller towns (cities can sometimes be higher) to change that) also companies that might raise the price of a service come under fire.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a French law or a European Union law? If phone locking turns out to contravene EU legislation, then there'll be a nasty surprise in the mail for Apple and most especially O2 (British phone network operator).
serpent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: might be more Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
fuel efficiency as a priority suffered for a long time (we need some $4-5 gas prices in smaller towns (cities can sometimes be higher) to change that) also companies that might raise the price of a service come under fire.

what on earth are you talking about? fuel economy of cars sold in usa suffered how?
maybe huge inefficient 10mpg bemouths should be taxed out the @ss. then people won't walk past the fuel efficient vehicles.
I pay enough in taxes I dont need to pay $10 more each day.
Prices rise and fall daily on all types of services and goods.......what have you boycotted lately?

Serpent
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: might be more Reply with quote

serpent wrote:
dungeon92 wrote:
fuel efficiency as a priority suffered for a long time (we need some $4-5 gas prices in smaller towns (cities can sometimes be higher) to change that) also companies that might raise the price of a service come under fire.

what on earth are you talking about? fuel economy of cars sold in usa suffered how?
maybe huge inefficient 10mpg bemouths should be taxed out the @ss. then people won't walk past the fuel efficient vehicles.
I pay enough in taxes I dont need to pay $10 more each day.
Prices rise and fall daily on all types of services and goods.......what have you boycotted lately?

Serpent

compare it to foreign cars where people who do have cars go for something with higher fuel efficiency.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
serpent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
compare it to foreign cars where people who do have cars go for something with higher fuel efficiency.

Isn't that exactly what I said?
It is not that these fuel efficient cars are not available here. It is that people here do not want them.
While fuel prices here almost doubled in the last 2-1/2 years. Peoples driving habits have not changed to reflect that nor has their choice in automobiles changed. Other than Hybrids and unaffordable Hyrogen no car company has come up with with any car that ignificantly gets more MPG. while they maybe getting greener and emitting less pollutants, gas mileage has not incresed comparitively.
and does the foreign consumer really look for a more efficient auto? I don't think so. There are many more variables that keep europeans in smaller more efficient cars. How about parking?

I wonder when we can build a more efficient Human?
Your worring about gasoline, how about Orange Juice? How many gallons of that do you drink per week?
@ $5 a gallon for Tropicana or any other commercially packaged OJ, It kinda makes gasoline prices a Joke!

serpent
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

serpent wrote:
Peoples driving habits have not changed to reflect that nor has their choice in automobiles changed. Other than Hybrids and unaffordable Hyrogen no car company has come up with with any car that ignificantly gets more MPG. while they maybe getting greener and emitting less pollutants, gas mileage has not incresed comparitively.

58 miles per gallon (4.9 litres/100km): my Renault Clio Diesel

75 miles per gallon (3.8 litres/100km): Audi A2 Diesel, VW Lupo Diesel

100 miles per gallon (2.8 litres/100km): Toyota Prius converted into a plug-in hybrid by CalCars.org or Goingreen.co.uk - YouTube video, Wikipedia article

(equivalent to) 135 miles per gallon (2.1 litres/100km): Tesla Roadster electric sportscar - YouTube video, Wikipedia article

I'm sure you aren't surprised to get a response from a guy with an electric car for an avatar Smile
John H.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's not just France with compulsory unlocking laws:

"You know, AT&T refusing to provide unlock codes for iPhones is against federal regulations, right? Where's the outrage?"
- http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2193640,00.asp
AnthroPC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha my tiny Suzuki Alto manages about 65 miles to the British gallon (1.2 US gallons - yeah I didn't know we had different gallons either, but found the conversion on my Casio calculator so it must be true!)

Dads Suzuki Grand Vitara only does 45mpg but then again it looks as if it could eat my car Laughing

Back to the point in hand though, I always thought there was something fishy about the whole one-network thing - I mean in Britain you can get just about any phone on any network, PAYG or Contract, even if it does debut on a single network.

If Apple does get stuck with having to unlock the iPhone, that can only mean a boost in sales. There are hundreds of people in the USA who would buy an iPhone but are unwilling to change contract to AT&T, and I can imagine that there are hundreds of people in the UK who would do the same if the iPhone was opened up to our networks.

Personally, I'm still hoping for Three collaboration Smile

JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

65mpg? APC, if that's a petrol engine in your Suzuki then that's really good going.

Okay, what was I saying about phone unlocking regulations in the United States? http://www.instituteforlegalreform.com/media/displayarticle.cfm?artId=ILLI2172302849
AnthroPC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah its a petrol 1060cc. Its mostly made of aluminium though so it just about glides along the road idling Laughing

JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnthroPC wrote:
Yeah its a petrol 1060cc. Its mostly made of aluminium though so it just about glides along the road idling Laughing

When the Japanese get their arses moved and put diesel-electric hybrids on the production line, 65mpg is going to look thirsty!
AnthroPC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for a while... hybrid cars are still stupifyingly expensive, I think petrol will still be king for the next few years. Then I think we may see the rise of bio-diesel.

After all, the first consumer cars (called motorcars back then... man they didn't know a thing about advertising) ran on diesel - it was easier to produce than petrol and gave shipping-grade fuel as a by-product.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: