123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microsoft Releases Office 2004 for Mac 11.3.8 Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Microsoft Releases Office 2004 for Mac 11.3.8 Update Reply with quote

Microsoft Releases Office 2004 for Mac 11.3.8 Update
Tuesday, October 9, 2007
Posted by: Glenn

Microsoft has released the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.3.8 Update. According to the company, this update fixes a vulnerability in Word 2004 that an attacker can use to overwrite the contents of your computer's memory with malicious code. It applies to Office 2004 Standard Edition, Office 2004 Student and Teacher Edition, Office 2004 Professional Edition, and Word 2004. The Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.3.8 Update weighs in at 9.1MB, and requires Mac OS X 10.2.8 or later.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/779.html
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, sometimes I wonder if Microsoft issues these Office security updates to make it seem like OS X has the same issues as Windows. Laughing Wink
johnodd4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No duh..

It's funny the reason i do not use microsoft products. Is a recent experiment cunducted by a teacher in california. He told his students to try to hack his apple g5 tower running mac os x tiger. He told them he would like to know in a 6 page report how they hacked the machine and how they entered the machine. Once inside the machine they had to download a file called cheaters never prosper.doc.

Every student came back with this in there report.

They hacked into the machine using a backdoor in Microsoft's Media Player 9 and in Microsofts Office 2004.

And when asked could they directly hack the system without the microsoft products they told the teacher no mac os x wouldn't let them into his system.

funny huh..
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
You know, sometimes I wonder if Microsoft issues these Office security updates to make it seem like OS X has the same issues as Windows. Laughing Wink

It's staggering to consider just how crap your code would have to be to compromise the security of such a rock solid OS as OS X. How is it possible that large and complex software projects that are created and maintained by volunteers don't manage to screw things up as badly as Microsoft? As you ask, Devo, how 'accidental' is all of this...? (Cue the theme tune to 'X Files' Smile )
Greentimbers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has me thinking, I have MS Office 2004 right now. Maybe iWorks might not be a bad idea.

Folding on a Intel Mini
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greentimbers wrote:
This has me thinking, I have MS Office 2004 right now. Maybe iWorks might not be a bad idea.

GT, the 30 day iWork trial won't cost you a bean to tryout and the entire NeoOffice suite can be had for free (although the authors do a good job of guilt-tripping you into handing over $5 or $10 to keep them in pizza and coke!)

John H.
Greentimbers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I had completely forgotten about the 30 day free trial. I have also added NeoOffice to the mix Smile

Folding on a Intel Mini
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: