123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wireless Router Buying Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fouadbakht

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Wireless Router Buying Advice Reply with quote

I have two options available to me:

1. Apple Airport Extreme Base Station 802.11n
2. Netgear RangeMax Next (WNR834B) Non Gigabit Version 802.11n

Which one is the better choice as I live and have to operate the router in a two-storyed house with lots of walls. As usual, range and speed matter the most. Please reply soon.
miniconvert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd go for one with gigabit as you're bound to eventually want to hook up machines via wired networking for the increased speeds.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newest Airport Extremes have gigabit also, so that's not really a consideration.

Personally, I prefer the Apple routers, as they're well made, and the setup is much easier than many others. However, they are more expensive.

As for range, and signal quality, it's going to be hard to judge. Unless you can find a website that's reviewed both models, it's going to be a shot in the dark.

One more feature of the Airport models is that if your signal strength really blows you can always install an Airport Express somewhere to repeat the signal.
fouadbakht

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll settle for the Apple Airport Extreme Base Station mainly because of following reasons:

1. Gigabit support as compared to the non-gigabit Netgear model.
2. Availability of USB port.
3. The ability to operate on both 2.4GHz as well as 5GHz frequencies.

And your valuable replies of course Wink
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Belkin N1 Vision last weekend. I used it for two days and returned it to Best Buy. The wireless performance and range was really lackluster. I also noticed that it ran extremely hot. That can't be a good thing over the long run. I'm going to pick up Airport Extreme this weekend. My local Best Buy only had the older model (sans Gigabit), so I need to head into the city to pick one up at the Apple Store. I'll let you know how it turns out fouadbakht if you're still sitting on the fence.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: supposedly Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I bought a Belkin N1 Vision last weekend. I used it for two days and returned it to Best Buy. The wireless performance and range was really lackluster. I also noticed that it ran extremely hot. That can't be a good thing over the long run. I'm going to pick up Airport Extreme this weekend. My local Best Buy only had the older model (sans Gigabit), so I need to head into the city to pick one up at the Apple Store. I'll let you know how it turns out fouadbakht if you're still sitting on the fence.

I read an article saying that the switch to Gigabit allows the wireless to have higher actual speeds since something about the wired connections speed limiting the wireless.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
miniconvert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory 802.11n is supposed to be quicker than 100MB/s but my experience with the other 802.11's is that you rarely if ever see those speeds with consumer grade stuff.

If 802.11n can exceed speeds of a 10/100 network then yes, using a 10/100 switch will cause your wireless speeds to be slower than their potential because the 10/100 port then becomes the bottleneck.
fouadbakht

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Devo,

Thats a great idea. I think I'll wait anxiously for your take on the Airport Extreme base Station.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fouadbakht wrote:
@Devo,

Thats a great idea. I think I'll wait anxiously for your take on the Airport Extreme base Station.

I didn't have a chance to pick one up this weekend. I still plan on buying one as soon as possible, so I'll let you know. I got busy taking my daughter to a birthday party yesterday. Today is Jets and Giants day!
SlipperyRock

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys may find this video of interest. I saw it on Chris Pirillo's blog the other day. He has some nice things to say about the Airport Express Base Station.

http://chris.pirillo.com/2007/10/02/apple-airport-extreme-base-station-review
fouadbakht

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey devo, I'm still waiting for your take on the AEBS. Time is running out.
Sipper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth guys, I bought a Buffalo G54 wireless router which has been excellent. It has good wireless range and easy to set up.

I also found a linux firmware upgarde for it which converted one of the lan ports into a second wan port, perfect for connecting my two cable modems to. I don't use the QoS function but it's available, as are various flavours of WPA encryption. See http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation for more details.

The best part was the router only cost about £35 ($70 ish in foreign folding stuff).

Hope this is of some use to someone out there.

Sipper
fouadbakht

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now thats something new and interesting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: