123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yellow Dog Linux supports Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caulktel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Linux sound Reply with quote

Does anybody know if Ububtu or Yellow Dog have solved the sound issue on the Mac Mini? I would like to install some flavor of Linux on a external Firewire hard drive. Pretty hard to beat OS X though.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Linux sound Reply with quote

caulktel wrote:
Does anybody know if Ububtu or Yellow Dog have solved the sound issue on the Mac Mini? I would like to install some flavor of Linux on a external Firewire hard drive. Pretty hard to beat OS X though.

Yeah, I pretty abandoned my ideas of dual booting the mini once I fell in love with OS X and discovered Darwin Ports. Smile

I run Gentoo on an old PC and an old Sun Ultra5...so I get enough linux in my diet. (my server also runs linux)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
listman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: sound issue on the Mac Mini Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anybody know if Ububtu or Yellow Dog have solved the sound issue on the Mac Mini?

Some people have reported getting some sound out of their box but I'm running deaf. I installed YDL 4.01 which is supposed to have support for sound on the mac mini (I really think they are referring to the external usb sound device - look at their how-to, that’s just wrong)
I have installed alsa, patched and recompiled the kernel but I'm still without sound. If you want sound stick with OSX - Unfortunately I don't feel like learning where everything is at (old dog new tricks) I know RedHat, been using it since ver 6 so I'll wait till they fix it.
(redhat - fedora -yellow dog all the same)
Right now I'm hosting 2 domains, running icecast, bind, sendmail, and samba without any problems.
Who knows, I may take another shot at osx sometime in the future.
e3mw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
Oh man.. don't even mess with yellowdog...

Try Ubuntu! You don't even have to install it as it comes with a live version cd (just burn it, boot from CD and you're off). I'm running it on all my x86 boxes (it's based off Debian).

http://www.ubuntulinux.org

Or for the direct PPC live image (a pre-release, but still pretty good):

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/hoary/array-3.5-live/hoary-live-powerpc.iso

I agree, Ubuntu is much better, I run it on all my older model computers, It has given some of my older boxes a new lease on life!

It's strikingly similar to Mac OS too.
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kevnin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read on someone's blog that they were able to get sound out of Ubuntu. They even posted their kernel config and everything, so if you're running Ubuntu, you could just download his, and you'd be set. He has everything working (minus airport, which you're just not going to get unless someone decides to write an open source driver for it...fairly doubtful but maybe) I personally havent used Ubuntu - only gentoo. It makes things easy with its package management (very similar to debian, you just do a "emerge package_name_here"), the only difficult part is the install. I also admit that the PPC install guide is not perfect... but you'll get it if you try. Just google "mac gentoo partition map" and use that.

I don't really know how gentoo and ubuntu kernels differ... it would be great to see gentoo add support for macmini sound!

btw most linux distrobutions support usb sound devices...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: